Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is the most challenging yet doable embark?  (Read 5101 times)

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is the most challenging yet doable embark?
« on: September 07, 2012, 03:41:06 pm »

As the question in the title asks. I'm up for some challenge, after i got messed my raws and my supposedly perfect fortress another time, sigh.

I'm thinking of no-items, no-skills, terrifying biome embark, obviously.

But should it have aquifier? Or perhaps it would be better if it had no water at all and hot/scorching climate?

And scarce trees (i think it's impossible to survive without at least some vegetation and shrubs and trees come hand in hand)

Anything else?

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most challenging yet doable embark?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 04:06:04 pm »

Someone posted a day or two ago how to make a fortress where you only get two migrant waves and one dwarven caravan. (IE Dwarves are extinct)

I think it was to add [BONECARN] to dwarves, gen the world, and then disable it through the region raws.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 04:06:16 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64258.0

I don't have to add anything. Read it. Fucking read it all.

And have fun reclaiming! :3

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:21:08 pm »

Anything is possible, as long as you haven't modded dwarves to not be able to breathe air.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 02:24:47 am »

Anything is possible, as long as you haven't modded dwarves to not be able to breathe air.
Even that is possible! :P

Luck...  Ingenuity... Large bodies of water...

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 04:35:26 am »

I had an embark once where the wagon arrived on a slade pinacle, just slade, with sheer 60z+ drops on all sides down to the magma sea. There was a necro tower built down there.  Over to the west was a sweet meddow about 20 tiles wide running all the way from north to south and its eastern edge facing me was an exposed aquifer pouring endlesly down to the depths. With enough wood on embark I could have bridged across to the meddow and tried to stop the aquifer, but at FPS of 1 or less I felt my life was too short.

I had used justembark.exe to get to the necro tower, the rest was quite a surprise though.  Not sure if thats the sort of answer you wanted though :)  Maybe using dfhack to seal the aquifer would have made it playable? but once you do that its not much harder than any other embark with a necro tower except you couldnt cave this one in from below.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 10:32:24 pm »

You definitely want an aquifer. Getting underground quickly is key in a terrifying biome, and aquifers make that much harder.

Also, it should be a site without caverns. That will make it much harder to get wood if there's little/none on the surface.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 07:46:11 am »

Terrifying ocean and beach with an aquifer. That way the aquifer will be salt, so you can't directly use it for drinks. Also, zombie whales.

I don't think 0 point embarks in glaciers or deserts are possible. They have no water and no plants, so your dwarves will die of thirst before the first migrants arrive.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 12:54:01 pm »

I don't think 0 point embarks in glaciers or deserts are possible. They have no water and no plants, so your dwarves will die of thirst before the first migrants arrive.
Find one with a cave.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 02:22:55 pm »

Wanna challange?

here we go:

1. No drawbridges
2. No danger rooms
3. No locked doors
4. No df reveal
5. No traps

Shortly speaking : play like dwarf, not elf. No cheating and walling off, face enemies in combat. Marksdorfs allowed as long as gobos can path to them

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 02:25:26 pm »

here we go:

1. No drawbridges
2. No danger rooms
3. No locked doors
4. No df reveal
5. No traps

Shortly speaking : play like dwarf, not elf. No cheating and walling off, face enemies in combat. Marksdorfs allowed as long as gobos can path to them
That's... Kinda easy for anyone who plays vanilla :P

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 02:35:29 pm »

I guess you did not try yet;)

ps copper armour is awesome. Especially when you find copper after hours if digging.

And here comes thralled siege from top and forgotten beast from the cavern;d

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 02:38:46 pm »

I guess you did not try yet;)
Well considering how #2 is an exploit, #4 is a hack, #1, #3 and #5 could be summed up with a 'no obstructed entrances' rule, yeah I could say I've tried it plenty times :P

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 04:27:54 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64258.0

I don't have to add anything. Read it. Fucking read it all.

And have fun reclaiming! :3

Its a bitch reclaim. I managed to survive five years but there wasn't a lot of interest in the reclaim thread so I stopped playing.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 05:52:32 pm »

Wanna challange?

here we go:

1. No drawbridges
2. No danger rooms
3. No locked doors
4. No df reveal
5. No traps

Already do this with ease and i'm a noob (i've yet to even make a magma forge).

I prefer to use traps for ridiculous animals, currently have an army of 30 badgers running around. Need to make/find a mod which lets me train ANYTHING.

There was a post of an embark of aquifers in an evil biome, the problem being there were LOADS of aquifers and you didn't have time for a double slit method.
No more is really needed to be said.

You can place restrictions on yourself, a very WEIRD challenge is no mining whatsoever. You end up like humans, building upwards, but all buildings made of wood/traded materials, friggin weird. Add in an evil biome and you have yourself a seriously hard challenge.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:54:50 pm by Bigheaded »
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.
Pages: [1] 2