Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: How do you view the wealthy?  (Read 14581 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you view the wealthy?
« Reply #225 on: September 07, 2012, 12:24:26 pm »

Two parts here. First one:
I don't follow your logic. If you can clearly see that something is not right there, why is my point still invalid until I can show that one, exact moment where everything goes wrong?

Because how else can you fix it? Whine and moan about it all you want, but unless someone is actually doing something wrong, there is nothing to do. I mean, you need more then some vague "It's unfair" for your argument to make sense. Life is in many ways inherently unfair, but who is at fault?

Why can't it be possible that current economy is just inadequate in valuing one's contribution to the society, artificially inflating some people's worth and forcing the rest to work even harder to satisfy their demands?

Sure. That's not in question here, don't get me wrong. But how that interacts with inherited wealth is something that is not clear.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 07, 2012, 12:36:57 pm »

Inherited money can be solved with the estate tax largely (assuming you can get everyone to pay it properly of course).

60-99% (depending on if you are inheriting 2 million or 10 billion) would be keep the money from snowballing over the generations, and after a few generations would make it much more reasonable. Yes, their kids wouldn't ever have to work if they are smart (and there is enough money there), but their grandchildren would.
If you can program a good enough automated trading bot on the stock market you (assuming you have enough initial capital) can make lots of money on high-frequency trading or other kinds of automated trading (eg. exploiting cent differences in arbitrage to make money).
Does this actually mean that you did anything worth making ten million dollars a year over. No, it doesn't.
Does making 20 million dollars a year as a CEO mean that you contributed to society a thousand times more than someone at the poverty level? No, it doesn't.

Assuming money is equivalent to societal contributions is simply wrong, in many cases it is, but especially at the higher levels of income it becomes nearly disconnected.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 07, 2012, 12:40:39 pm »

The only way I could really describe the wealthy is with 'rich', and then various synonyms of condescending. Really condescending.

In particular, the phrase "Anyone could be as successful as I am." really gets me. Because they say it as though it's everyone who can. Which is not true. Any individual could, but with the current system there's always going to have to be people doing work with little in return for what they're doing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 07, 2012, 12:50:51 pm »

Because how else can you fix it? Whine and moan about it all you want, but unless someone is actually doing something wrong, there is nothing to do. I mean, you need more then some vague "It's unfair" for your argument to make sense. Life is in many ways inherently unfair, but who is at fault?

No one will do anything until at least acknowledges something is wrong. Moreover, it couldn't happen if so many people wasn't convinced that yeah, it is right, and the rich are valuable "job creators" who need to be pampered and thrown with luxuries, or they'll go somewhere else and the world stops turning. Actually, telling people to shut up until they devise a perfect solution for the problem is less productive than "whining and moaning".

But how that interacts with inherited wealth is something that is not clear.

It's not inheriting money that is the problem. Money spawning more money is.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 07, 2012, 01:51:02 pm »

I am attacking a position that he seems to be saying he holds

If you can show me where he gives an actual position and not 2 pages of "Are you sure you're not
a lazy bum who enjoys being poor?" then I will address that instead.
Pretty sure I've never said that. You seem to be reading between the lines to come to conclusions of your own, and missing out on the things I'm actually intending to communicate.
Here is where you said it:
So, let me ask you a question:

Do you want out? Do you want what you said here, to be able to pay your bills and give your daughter two consistent wants every month? Do you want the $25,000/yr that you say would allow you to easily have a happy lifestyle?

Do you want it?

Or...and I apologize, but it must be asked...or do you want to complain about why you can't have it?
Or are you still going to pretend that "you were only asking questions"? Because we all, including you, know that you weren't, and your attempts to deny it just further cements what a dishonest arse you are.

That is true. I was not "merely asking a question." I was seeking an answer. And the fact that he never answered the question is very revealing.

1) This reiterates a point I've made a couple times in this thread. It seems like some people just want to whine and complain about the rich. If all you want to do is whine and complain, and you're unwilling to actually do anything...what do you expect anyone else do for you? Sometimes people just need to vent. Girls do this a lot, actually. They want to complain. They don't want you to come in and try to "fix" their problem. Girl complains, guys tries to fix it, girl gets upset because he's not listening and is trying to change her and that's not what she wants. She just wants to let off steam. If you guys just want to complain, then go ahead and complain. That's fine. But if you're just going to complain and you're not actually interested in doing anything other than complain, then yeah...I'm going to call you on it. And that's what I'm doing. I'm calling some of you out of the fact that you're just whining and complaining.

2) I was giving him an opportunity. If he said yes, he wanted it...I was going to offer to help him get it. However, you'll notice that he did NOT say that he wanted it.

If somebody is standing on a street corner, loudly proclaiming that if only they had a dollar they could take the bus, and it's so terrible that they have to walk...then somebody comes by and says, "do you want a dollar?" and instead of saying yes they ignore that person completely (note that Max never even responded to my post) and continues his speech about how terrible his situation is...do you really expect the guy to give him the dollar? No, he's going to keep walking because there's obviously some emotional drama being played out. The guy doesn't actually want help.

You can complain all you want about morality, but I've seen this enough times to be fairly convinced that a lot of people in bad situations don't really want out. I don't completely understand it, but a lot of people choose to stand in burning houses and refuse to leave. And if you come by and say, "hey...umm, the exit's over there. You could, you know...walk out, instead of standing here burning to death." ...very often they refuse to walk out and just continue screaming.

I gave him an opportunity. He didn't take it. And a few of you saw the opportunity I gave him and chose to attack me for it.

This is why I have little sympathy, and this is why my very first post in this thread was talking about all the emotional baggage that some people have about money. If you just want to play out your silly dramas, that's fine. But if you want your life to be different, then stop complaining and start paying attention. There might be ways out of the burning building. But it's difficult to see windows of opportunity when you're busy running in circles screaming.

it just further cements what a dishonest arse you are.

Excuse me, but read the language here. I was polite. I was apologetic. You're the one engaging in name calling. "Do you want X or do you just want to complain that you don't have it?" is a legitimate question, and it merits an answer. Sometimes people do want to complain. Letting off steam, complaining, venting anger is a very real, totally legitimate thing that people often want to do. And so much of what I'm seeing in this thread is telling me that's all several of you want to do and I'm probably wasting my time even participating in the thread.

For you to take offense at the question, for you to interpret it as some kind of stealth insult...there's not much I can say here. Go ahead and lead your life. I'll lead mine. *shrug*

This is basically LordBuckets problem in a nutshell. He just knows the world better than everybody else.
He's just more intelligent, more experienced, wiser, more worldly than other people

I advise you to stop trying so hard to find ways to take offense. Stop playing out the "I am inferior" emotional drama and decide what you want in life then go find a way to make it happen.

That's my advice. What you do with it is entirely up to you.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:53:14 pm by LordBucket »

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 07, 2012, 01:56:10 pm »

I DO WANT TO GET RICH !Show me the way LordBucket .I am being very serious.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 07, 2012, 02:37:01 pm »

Certainly. And I've seen what you're describing, but generally with knowledge of things rather than things themselves. Wine, for example. Make the mistake of thinking that zinfandel grapes are white, and that immediately marks you as a a member of the outgroup in some circles. But the people who play those games aren't usually people I'd consider rich.

I can see that happening, if only because thinking that Zinfandel grapes are white is a strong hint towards being all too acquainted with blush wines (White Zinfandel), in lieu of the classics. Though wine tasting is becoming an increasingly widespread practice, which entails popularization and, with it, social devaluation, it lives on as a classy leisure activity, when properly conducted; wine cellars, sommeliers and the likes of a Henri Jayer's don't come easily. Still, you've got me curious, how would you define said sample group?

Ahem.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 07, 2012, 02:59:31 pm »

Another important point to make is that making lots of money doesn't mean you actually helped society at all or even produced anything.
If you can program a good enough automated trading bot on the stock market you (assuming you have enough initial capital) can make lots of money on high-frequency trading or other kinds of automated trading (eg. exploiting cent differences in arbitrage to make money).
Does this actually mean that you did anything worth making ten million dollars a year over. No, it doesn't.
Does making 20 million dollars a year as a CEO mean that you contributed to society a thousand times more than someone at the poverty level? No, it doesn't.

Keeping the markets in something approaching equilibrium as opposed to a disorganized mess that changes from one to the next is a fairly worthwhile thing.

Mind, the present financial markets are a gigantic sham designed to ensure that the absurdly rich/powerful bankers and their buddies in world governments get shielded from failure while their small time rivals are regulated out of existence, so it's not like such things are entirely the result of voluntary trade. Check out those Norwegian day traders that were arrested for figuring out a company's algorithm.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 07, 2012, 03:29:32 pm »

I am attacking a position that he seems to be saying he holds

If you can show me where he gives an actual position and not 2 pages of "Are you sure you're not
a lazy bum who enjoys being poor?" then I will address that instead.
Pretty sure I've never said that. You seem to be reading between the lines to come to conclusions of your own, and missing out on the things I'm actually intending to communicate.
Here is where you said it:
So, let me ask you a question:

Do you want out? Do you want what you said here, to be able to pay your bills and give your daughter two consistent wants every month? Do you want the $25,000/yr that you say would allow you to easily have a happy lifestyle?

Do you want it?

Or...and I apologize, but it must be asked...or do you want to complain about why you can't have it?
You want an answer? I honestly thought the question was rhetorical. However, since you want your answer, yes, I want it. If I didn't want it, and didn't think that the ability to have a halfway decent life was something that people should have, I wouldn't be complaining about not having it. You don't see me bitching about not having a Lamborghini, because I don't think other people should be at least a little bit compelled to help the poor out with getting Lamborghinis. I'm not asking for luxury, and I'm not saying that I won't work to get there. I'm just sick to death of having to claw my way into having enough savings to fix one thing, and then having another five break because I can't afford preventative maintenance.

I'm busting my ass to try to make it through college while working and taking care of a kid. This semester, I've been fucked by my local school losing several copies of my paperwork, and that's costing me thousands of dollars that I was counting on in student aid. I'm sick of being sick, and constantly being denied healthcare. I'm sick of being told by the Department of Human Services that I should be able to go to school 40 hours a week, work 40 hours a week and be a single parent, and that because I'm not able to do so, I'm not eligible for aid. I'm sick of being told that I've got some kind of privilege because most of my ancestors were white, and that I shouldn't be allowed in clinics. I'm sick of being denied credit because I have no credit history. I'm sick of rich people stashing their money away overseas to avoid taxation on it, and then not being punished for it. I'm sick of companies hyper-estimating their profits so that they can avoid proper taxes. (Looking at you, GE.) I'm sick of living in a house that's literally falling apart board by board, and having water run into nearly every room in the house when it rains. I'm sick of having memories of being homeless and remembering what it's like to have to literally fight for survival.

Most of all, I'm sick of the oh-so-oppressed CEOs and Trust Fund babies complaining and spewing vitriol when I state that they should pay the same percentage of taxes that I do. Mitt Romney has never paid more than 15%? Why the fuck should I be paying 20% at the lowest possible amount? I'm sick of hearing about how people who are born into money are smart, even when they're pissing away millions of dollars on shit like cocaine. I'm sick of top level bureaucrats and fat-cats not getting fired like the rest of us, instead getting golden parachutes for fucking up miserably. I'm sick of rich people, especially celebrities and sports figures, crying when millions of dollars a year isn't enough to support their lifestyle. I'm sick of money being a "get out of jail free" card.

So, yeah, I want it. The problem is, I can't afford to get it, and the system is built to refuse to help.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 07, 2012, 04:43:04 pm »

That is true. I was not "merely asking a question." I was seeking an answer. And the fact that he never answered the question is very revealing.
Yes.  It reveals that MaxZero didn't want to answer your stupid leading question.  Or are you too busy drinking the blood of innocents to realise that?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 07, 2012, 04:54:11 pm »

Guys, I opt'd out of this conversation for the same reasons you're arguing with him....but the hostility and personal nature of the comebacks really should get toned down.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 07, 2012, 04:55:28 pm »

Or are you too busy drinking the blood of innocents to realise that?
Mmm, innocence.

(I don't agree with Lord Bucket or some of his... argument styles... either, but ad hominem doesn't help at all)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 07, 2012, 04:57:50 pm »

Eh. I won't single anyone out. But I've been following the thread and the responses have been getting more and more hostile. This is just me trying to remind people not to make it personal.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 07, 2012, 05:03:57 pm »

(I don't agree with Lord Bucket or some of his... argument styles... either, but ad hominem doesn't help at all)
I'm not being ad hominem.  I'm just seeking an answer.  The fact that he hasn't answered the question is very revealing.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 07, 2012, 06:07:28 pm »

I'm not being ad hominem.  I'm just seeking an answer.  The fact that he hasn't answered the question is very revealing.

Noooo . . . you're being ad hominem. Accusations of drinking the blood of innocents are generally that.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17