Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Simplest Military?  (Read 5060 times)

Doctor Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
Simplest Military?
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:02:11 am »

I don't have my Military set up and I don't know what or how to work with them. Simplest Military suggestions? Weapons, Armor, Barracks Location, etc... I appreciate all the help.

Also, Can bee stings kill animals? How do I get rid of Bee Hives?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:06:42 am by Doctor Blood »
Jumping into a waterfall to get water is Spectacular.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
Re: Simplest Military?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 06:06:34 am »

save file or pics could help a bit with the location and for the weapons and armor i suggest using the best ones available
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Metal#Weapon_and_armor_quality
also bee sting also causes mild swelling and pain so your animals are safe but might be slower and/or fall unconscious from the pain for a short while
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:16:56 am by Cheesoburgor »
Im alive again after a 4 year break!

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 06:13:33 am »

Bring two guys with axe/fighter and have them train with training axes until the first caravan. Endeavor to get them steel axes, steel helm, gauntlets, high boots, greaves, mail shirt, breastplate, and any material socks, cloak, hood, mittens, trousers, and shield, sometime around the first caravan.

Put your barracks between the outside world and the dwarfs, so that all traffic goes through there. 11x11 is fine.  A few cage traps help.

A second or even third squad are good. You can and maybe should make six out of your original seven military. Always train in pairs.

Make a burrow that includes only safe area, and confine civilians to it at first sign of trouble, and when a caravan is present.

A couple legendary axemen work wonders.

In my current fort I have shield/armor guys at embark. These train slower but are invulnerable.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 06:20:42 am »

having 6/7 dorfs as a military in the beginning is a bad idea since it takes forever for a one dwarf to do all stuff +eat,drink and sleep while others train
also what do you mean ''These train slower but are invulnerable''???

Doctor Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:28:54 am »

save file or pics could help a bit with the location and for the weapons and armor i suggest using the best ones available
also bee sting also causes mild swelling and pain so your animals are safe but might be slower and/or fall unconscious from the pain for a short while

Thanks and how about getting rid of the Hive?
Jumping into a waterfall to get water is Spectacular.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:33:01 am »

Fun suggestion:

Draft your entire town into the army. Everyone is to wear leather armor and carry a crossbow.

In case of emergencies, Instant musket lines.

Just don't set them to train.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 06:33:54 am »

1x Raising Drawbridge

Will work for the first 3 years or so.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 06:45:50 am »

Thanks and how about getting rid of the Hive?

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 08:44:44 am »

Fun suggestion:

Draft your entire town into the army. Everyone is to wear leather armor and carry a crossbow.

In case of emergencies, Instant musket lines.

Just don't set them to train.
And as a bonus, you don't need to worry about clothing!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 08:51:47 am »

Leather is super cheap to bring aong, and with you have a lot of embark points to play with.  I bring only food, booze, dogs, wood, some  starter stone, and leather with me.  Maybe a crossbow and good weapon, cats or flux if the case requires it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:53:26 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 09:01:35 am »

Just using miners is simplest. Next tier is weapon + shield. After that you can slowly work it up to full steel armor.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 09:32:11 am »

Making a decent military is (eventually) essential to the survival of your fortress.  You can get by for a few years with just throwing something together, but eventually you'll get wiped out.  If you can't react to your first FB or Titan, or even first goblin siege, you'll get overrun quickly.  You might as well put in the time and learn the ins and outs.

I recommend just stepping through this: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Military

If you have any kind of metal industry at all, then swords and hammers (or crossbows and ammo) are just as easy to make as anything else. You may want to create your own Uniform(s) for your squad(s), the default "archers" and such don't appear to work well for me.  Remember that metal armor slows your dwarfs down more than leather (if they are untrained in wearing Armor).  Battle Axes can hit with edged and/or blunt attacks randomly, but crossbows in the hands of moderately skilled marksdwarfs are devastating.  They're also more glitchy to train up, and need to be fed ammo (either wood, bone, or metal... I usually use the most plentiful metal I have on hand, and I keep about 1k bolts on hand per squad of 10 shooters, but that seems to be more than most people keep on hand).

Remember the name of the game!  You're building a fortress, you will want hammers and swords and crossbows and armor and burly dwarfs who don't mind chafing.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 10:12:37 am »

I don't have my Military set up and I don't know what or how to work with them. Simplest Military suggestions? Weapons, Armor, Barracks Location, etc... I appreciate all the help.

Eventually you will want to read the wiki and understand the details of squads, uniforms, schedules, etc.

However, here is a simple strategy I have tested many times that should keep your dwarfs safe for the first couple of years:

1. Embark with standard "Play Now!" starting 7 dwarfs and set them to work digging, chopping trees, fishing, growing food, making crafts, etc.
2. Make some crossbows and bolts out of wood.
3. Turn on Hunting for your Fisherdwarf. Now he will start carrying a crossbow at all times, so if he gets attacked while he's out fishing, he'll be able to protect himself.
4. Soon you will have more meat & bone than you know what to do with, so make some bone crossbows and bolts.
5. Train your dogs into war dogs and assign them to outdoor dwarfs like woodcutter, fisherdwarf.

That should take you through until summer and your first wave of immigrants.

6. Find the migrant with the best military skills (Dwarf Therapist is helpful for this) and make him/her your Militia Commander on the n screen.
7. Go to the m screen and make a "no uniform" squad led by that dwarf.
8. Add the 2nd most military skilled to the squad.
9. Make a barracks/training room in your entry hall (so anyone entering the fort must pass through) and set the squad to train nonstop with s, a, t.
10. Any migrant Peasants become Hunters unless they have significant melee weapon skills (in which case I train them to Novice in a civilian skill like fishing or herbalism then recruit them to the military)

If I've found metal and received a weaponsmith and/or armorsmith via immigration:

11. Make note of the weapons each soldier is skilled in, and make some!
12. For each soldier make helmet, breastplate, gauntlets, greaves, boots, shield
13. Go to the m screen and assign the Metal Armor uniform to the squad

For each additional migrant wave:

14. Pick the 2 or 3 most military-skilled dwarfs and make them into a new squad.
15. Peasants become hunters (make sure to always have lots of crossbows, bolts, and quivers) and fisherdwarfs, herbalists, and beekeepers get the hunter skill too

When the caravan arrives:

16. Buy the weapons each soldier needs (if you don't have them already)
17. Buy the necessary metal armor (if you don't have it already)
18. Buy all useful metal bars
19. Buy everything made out of steel (especially anvils) and melt it down to steel bars
20. Buy trainable animals (dogs etc) train them to war and assign to important outside dwarfs

If you stick to the plan, then you will have 6-12 hunters and their war dogs running around the map hunting, fishing, gathering plants, etc. This early-warning system will make pincushions out of the first few goblin thieves. If the forces are overwhelming (an unexpected siege, megabeast, giant badgers, etc.) then use burrows and military alerts to bring the hunters into safety.

Meanwhile you will have 1 squad of 2-3 for each migrant wave, training constantly around the clock. They will become Legendary within a couple of years. If they are well equipped then a squad of 2 legendary whatevers can butcher dozens of goblins.

tl;dr: hunters and squads of 2

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 10:45:50 am »

I forgot to add one very important tip for new players:

I see a lot of beginner players get in trouble by making thousands of gem-encrusted masterwork mugs or whatever before their military is ready. If you keep your fortress wealth low, you'll get fewer invaders (and immigrants).

Don't make wealth just for the sake of making wealth unless you are prepared to defend it.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 11:36:47 am »

One thing that's helped me is I've gotten good at using traps, terrain, bridges and walls to help even the odds a little.

With my current embark, I'm sitting at around 124 dwarves and I have very little dwarves with any base military skill, which is a bit frustrating.  Probably ~30 total I think (18 of which are marksdwarves at least).  However, I've got some nice cage/weapon traps and moats to force them through choke points so that the last few ambushes and sieges have resulted in them getting totally decimated before they even get close.  I'm a bit nervous about a really big siege though.  I'm not too keen on just stuffing unskilled dwarves in the military, but I may not have a choice soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4