Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Another stupid idea: BoneTraps, MagmaTraps & ObsidianTraps  (Read 2160 times)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Another stupid idea: BoneTraps, MagmaTraps & ObsidianTraps
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 08:51:19 pm »

Well I've had things get killed by "A flying steel shield" and such against dust producing beasts. So i wondered if you could create dust, or a dust spewing entity in a workshop and then deconstruct it as discussed. To make it more dangeous you could also put a big pile of small sharp objects in the workshop with it. Hopefully resulting in them getting thrown violently outward as they spawned.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 09:14:16 pm »

No, that wouldnt really work... I see a couple of ways to make it happen, but all are very clutchy and wouldnt work all the time, and the results would be absolutely random.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 09:28:03 pm »

...You say that like it's a bad thing.

What do you have to do?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 09:29:03 pm »

Well... I tested the idea.

Made a 1 tile workshop, build of bodyparts, transformed a dwarf into a necromancer nearby that can raise friendly corpses, he raised the "peacock skin" that was in the buildmats... and the buildings deconstructed automatically. A shame.

Test results: It does not work.

EDIT: For the cluster, just pile up items on it, using them a reagents with "preserve reagent" and then give enemies a dust attack by using syndromes, either by stockpiling a special inorganic mat that boils away when it comes in contact with magma, and store magma in the workshop... a building destroyer decontructs the workshop, magma flows, stone boils away, creature does dust attack...

But dust attacks are way to weak. Yes, while fighting beasts with it, who constantly spam it, you might have such messages, but that doenst mean that a trap using it is very powerful.

Besides I already have DUST LANDMINES that use the very thing you described. I think I even disabled them in the mod, because they are not strong enough.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:31:54 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 09:35:03 pm »

Did you try including a non-BP part in the workshop?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 09:41:13 pm »

Did you try including a non-BP part in the workshop?

I remember back when kaypy first invented the Display Case building, they built it with food once to see what would happen and the building automatically deconstructed when the food finished rotting away. It's quite possible that any state change in building materials just causes said building to auto-deconstruct.
(edit: meat, actually. posts here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57243.msg1251248#msg1251248)

A shame really; Zombie Surprise Boxes would be an awesome defense.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:49:07 pm by smirk »
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 10:51:53 pm »

Yeah, sad thing... you can still use a zombie moat / bodypart moat and build a music stage nearby, and then use the bonerattle to raise all corpses nearby... but its just not the same.

But this got me thinking: I know that liquids stay in the workshops, not just water/magma, but any liquid. I know this from a sideeffect of spilling booze in the still, it just floats around till the still is deconstructed, and then splatters on the ground.

It splatters on the ground... mh... contact syndrome anyone ? Poison Trap ? Of course, this wouldnt work on invaders wearing shoes... (damn it)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 10:53:10 pm »

Yeah, sad thing... you can still use a zombie moat / bodypart moat and build a music stage nearby, and then use the bonerattle to raise all corpses nearby... but its just not the same.

But this got me thinking: I know that liquids stay in the workshops, not just water/magma, but any liquid. I know this from a sideeffect of spilling booze in the still, it just floats around till the still is deconstructed, and then splatters on the ground.

It splatters on the ground... mh... contact syndrome anyone ? Poison Trap ? Of course, this wouldnt work on invaders wearing shoes... (damn it)

What if the workshop was nether cap, chilling the liquid, then it flash boils when the workshop is deconstructed?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 10:54:13 pm »

Temperature doesnt work that way... the workshop wouldnt influence the liquid. See ice-workshops near magma...

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 10:56:17 pm »

Temperature doesnt work that way... the workshop wouldnt influence the liquid. See ice-workshops near magma...

Then what if, correspondingly, this liquid was VERY hot, and splattered on the ground when it was deconstructed? It would be harmless until liquid bragonbreath splattered everwhere. Would need a fixed temp, obviously.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 11:00:07 pm »

Well, yes, that would work of course, but what would be the difference between this and lets say... Magma ? I can already spawn magma in a trap and have it deconstructed, or spawn both magma and water and have an obsidianizer.

I was more after the syndrome, to affect a couple of creatures nearby.

Anyway, this is all not the helpful, because you first need a building destroyer. So for most enemies this is pointless.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 11:04:29 pm »

Well, yes, that would work of course, but what would be the difference between this and lets say... Magma ? I can already spawn magma in a trap and have it deconstructed, or spawn both magma and water and have an obsidianizer.

I was more after the syndrome, to affect a couple of creatures nearby.

Anyway, this is all not the helpful, because you first need a building destroyer. So for most enemies this is pointless.

Indeed, but it would be invaluable against the very, very dangerous things that are.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 11:12:09 pm »

Does water spawned in a workshop splatter when the workshop is deconstructed, or spread out in x/7s? If the latter, you could have a workshop contain both water and a contact-syndrome glob so that the water would spread deadly splatters farther than normal.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 11:44:37 pm »

Both, actually. Depends on the type of water you spawn. So you could spawn 7/7 water and a liquid with deadly syndrome.

Or you just give the syndrome the ability to give the creature first touched by it a material emission:undirected dust with this syndrome, to simulate an explosion.

Again, I dont think Iwill add any of this in my mod, because it is too far flung, no one will immediatly understand how this is supposed to work.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 03:33:42 pm »

Couldn't you explain it in the manual and advise people not to make things they don't understand?
Sig
Pages: 1 [2] 3