Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Another stupid idea: BoneTraps, MagmaTraps & ObsidianTraps  (Read 2156 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Another stupid idea: BoneTraps, MagmaTraps & ObsidianTraps
« on: September 02, 2012, 10:31:58 pm »

EDIT: TEST SHOWS THAT BONETRAPS DO NOT WORK. -.-

Hey,

I just remembered a report I got once, about a necromancer raising the fit_for_animation bodyparts that I used as build-mats in my church of the dark depths (evil magic building)

I dont really know how these bodyparts behave, but usually buildmats stay in the building till the building is destroyed, so I figured, why not abuse this ?

Make a building, bone-trap, 1tile, needs X bodyparts/corpses to be build.
Has the reaction: Activate trap, gives a dwarf the interaction to raise friendly corpses.
He will target all the bodyparts in the buildings, and they dont do anything.
Now... a building destroyer shows up, pathfinds to the trap, destroys it, and all animated zombies inside spawn, attacking the building destroyer.

Makes sense, or am I oblivious to any problem with this ? I'll test it anyway, but now it's time for sleep...

EDIT: Oh, and sometimes I am really slow... with the magma and water spawning that stays in workshops, you can easily make a magmatrap and a obsidianizer that work the same way, by spawning the liquid without a container inside the workshop, and then just wait for a building destroyer to trigger it.

EDIT2: While on the topic of traps, I never got my ranged trap comp ammo to "stick in wounds"... would like to use it for syndrome ammo, but I can do workarounds...

Oh, and another form of trap would be a invisible (constantly doing hide-effects) creature with an AoE Aura. Slow Totem, or Fear Totem, Stench Totem, and so on.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:32:38 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Another stupid idea: BoneTraps, MagmaTraps & ObsidianTraps
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 11:44:42 pm »

The bone trap is brilliant.  Although yes, forgive me for agreeing with you so, but you were indeed being very slow with the magma / obsidian trap ;)

You don't have to wait for building destroyer, you can drop an artificial cave in on it either by lever or pressure plate.  Obsidian trap, works better if you use two different buildings.  The water will evaporate if you fill the same building with both water and magma.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 11:57:35 pm by smakemupagus »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 07:41:12 am »

With the bone trap would the dwarf given special necromantic powers have his abilities wear off? And what if you unthinkingly put one of these near a refuse pile? Would you then have to contend with a bunch of rotting corpses following this dwarf around like cats that hopped into UristMc1000Cats lap?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 01:46:27 pm »

Assuming he uses the same reaction as in the Masterwork Dance of the Dead:
* Yes, it's temporary
* At least some, perhaps all of the refuse pile would be hostile and attack the worker

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:02:13 pm »

Well, I can just make it temporary as smake said, and give it a range of 1 tile. The dwarf will stand on the bone-trap anyway when he does the reaction.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:12:02 pm »

Neat. I might have to try something like this, to get a feeling for this kind of short-term interaction thingies.

Maybe you could make a necromancer's workshop which takes an onyx gem and a corpse (preserved reagent), and gives the dwarf the temporary ability to animate the dead? No, wait, the zombie would be embedded in the workshop and not able to roam free, wouldn't it...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:22:21 pm »

It would roam free. Using corpses as reagents works like this. My trap would use them as build-mat in the workshop, not as reagent in the reaction.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 02:40:17 pm »

I know that, I just thought that since the corpse would still be in the building...well, cool, my idea might work!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 04:07:42 pm »

This thread is proof that dwarf fortress players will weaponize ANYTHING....
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 04:12:52 pm »

This is news to you?
Sig

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 04:19:21 pm »

What I haven't seen anyone weaponize yet in a profilic matter is good ol' grass.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 04:21:31 pm »

Set it on fire.
EDIT: To burn goblins, not for the smoke.
Sig

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 06:30:02 pm »

Yeah, !!grass!! is an old standby, a powerful weapon when you need to get rid of a enemy hiding in countryside like siege camps or necromancers. 

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 08:20:47 pm »

This indirectly gave me an idea.

Would it be possible to exploit the fact that currently FB type dust emmisions send objects flying to make a shrapnel bomb trap?
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 08:25:02 pm »

Maybe. What do you mean?
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3