Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: Bring Your Own Cards: Sliver Sign "All-destroying terror flood" (game over!)  (Read 53113 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Your Own Cards [11/13]: A Shark on the Loose (signups)
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2012, 12:58:34 pm »

Come at me, bro!
You've activated his trap card!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2012, 01:42:03 pm »

I'm going to watch this one. It looks interesting.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2012, 02:12:29 pm »

I have a horrible feeling it will be imba towards the scum team, since they have the advantage of knowing at least 10 more cards.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2012, 02:50:58 pm »

Oh come on- when's the last time you actually played one?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2012, 03:08:43 pm »

Oh come on- when's the last time you actually played one?

A very long time. Haven't really had time to play one with my current job. Heck, I barely have time to run them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2012, 03:45:41 pm »

I have a horrible feeling it will be imba towards the scum team, since they have the advantage of knowing at least 10 more cards.
The game's about finding scum, not identifying cards.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2012, 04:10:53 pm »

Right, but his point is that it's not the scum's job to find scum, but to kill people, and that is likely to be easier to do if you have many more known cards to form a strategy...

I trust your balancing instincts, but Tolyk's point is valid: the informed minority will be much more informed, have a larger repertoire, and they don't need to find scum (well, barring faction crazyness you may conjure up).

Also question: you earlier said:
- If I get bored waiting for signups the game can be started if it has at least 9 players signed up.
How close to bored are you? Do you intend to wait for two more, or does eleven sound like a workable number? I'm not in a hurry or anything, but if you think you have enough...
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 04:17:08 pm »

Right, but his point is that it's not the scum's job to find scum, but to kill people, and that is likely to be easier to do if you have many more known cards to form a strategy...
Isn't that sort of the entire point of Mafia? Uninformed majority vs. informed minority?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2012, 04:26:23 pm »

Sure, and it's not a gripe, I'm merely saying not to dismiss Tolyk's concerns off hand. Assuming three scum, you suddenly have a team with fifteen cards (and likely a faction kill as well). It should be fine, I'm sure, but it may be a bit harder to balance than other games is all.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2012, 04:40:39 pm »

I agree that it will be harder than a normal game to balance, but that's mainly because there'll be a lot of abilities flying around, and therefore more potential for gamebreaking or swinginess.  I suppose scum would get something of a coordination bonus with their abilities, but I feel like that would be fairly easy to make up for considering there would be so many nonscum abilities around.

EDIT: 11 would be fine, but I think I'll give it until Saturday before starting just in case.  Dariush, you have been warned.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2012, 09:30:44 pm »

Sure, and it's not a gripe, I'm merely saying not to dismiss Tolyk's concerns off hand. Assuming three scum, you suddenly have a team with fifteen cards (and likely a faction kill as well). It should be fine, I'm sure, but it may be a bit harder to balance than other games is all.
How so? BYOR's very similar, in that they know all their actions.

Unless this is like Roguelike... where the team gets 5-6 times the power of each player.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2012, 09:36:45 pm »

Well, if you need help balancing stuff let me know. I'm happy to help.
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2012, 09:40:36 pm »

I feel like some of the Roguelike problems stem from a lot of the abilities being inherently better for mafia members (in particular, kill).

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2012, 05:57:45 pm »

I agree that it will be harder than a normal game to balance, but that's mainly because there'll be a lot of abilities flying around, and therefore more potential for gamebreaking or swinginess.  I suppose scum would get something of a coordination bonus with their abilities, but I feel like that would be fairly easy to make up for considering there would be so many nonscum abilities around.

EDIT: 11 would be fine, but I think I'll give it until Saturday before starting just in case.  Dariush, you have been warned.
Can we just start it now?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2012, 09:37:20 pm »

Sorry, I'm going to have to out.
Something came up recently which has put me pretty far behind on certain things.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28