Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: LotR mod for Skyrim receive cease&desist letter from Warner Bros *UPD:PETITION*  (Read 19833 times)

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
Re: LotR mod for Skyrim receive cease and desist letter from Warner Bros
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 02:31:22 pm »

They can sue over the creative design becuase they are using a popular canonized setting. ut the way they went about it, addressing it as a Cease and Desist whos that Warner Bros doesn't want to make it a big legal batter that goes public; which is exactly what the modding group has to do in order to win.  Smear it across the front pages.   8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 04:02:00 pm »

I remember once when a project was shut down by a Cease and Desist order

But it was later found out that it was fake.

But the creators were too far gone to care about reviving it.

I'm not sure if what they are doing is even legal. I don't think you can sue someone over copyright as long as they are not making money off of it. At least, that's as far as I know, and I don't go to law school

No you can, it makes sense why you would be able to as well. Afterall if you give away something using Copyrighted material you are taking away a sale the owner could have otherwise done.

Now you cannot sue someone for copyright of copyrighted material used within their own home. Or rather you cannot sue people for private use of copyrighted material, or basically anything not sold or distributed.

Along with this there are a few exceptions for the use of copyrighted material (that is constantly being attacked... so expect this law to be taken away again) such as for critique, comedy, or educational purposes and stuff like that... but this isn't the case and even those have rules on exactly how it works.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 04:05:51 pm by Neonivek »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 04:03:58 pm »

Burn them.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 04:06:37 pm »

Warner isn't wrong in this. They do have the right for video game and movie adaptations of LoTR, altough like most mods, this one likely falls under fair use dispositions, but fair use is the kind of thing that gets questioned all the time and needs to be confirmed in court in order to actualy have any effect. There's a decent chance the mod might survive with this argument, but as a friend of mine pointed out, looking at the screenshots, they took many of their designs directly from the movies, which is rather problematic.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 05:15:56 pm »

This is why we can't have nice things.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 06:32:41 pm »

Where can i fully support WB on this? That will be against all users from this forum, but they clearly have the right in this case. You shouldnt be complaining about WB, but about stupid law as it is. You have all accepted that law, and now you are fighting against it? You dont like the law? See how many there are like you and win elections with that number, change it. You dont like the election law (multiple reasons)? Go make a civil war for this. But you wont do that. *Beee beee beee* *sheep noise*

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 06:43:50 pm »

This is the precedent Dota 2 created. For no reason other than lulz, I blame Valve for this.

Whaaaaaaat?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 07:19:38 pm »

WB may have the legal rights here, but it's kind of a pity that something like LOTR is so strictly licensed. For how old and popular it is, it feels like something that should be public domain.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 08:43:00 pm »

This is the precedent Dota 2 created. For no reason other than lulz, I blame Valve for this.
Absolutely nothing to do with this, the thing that Blizzard was arguing was that since DotA was a mod/map for WC3, Valve couldn't have the rights. That was the official maker of a game claiming the rights to a mod of their game (which is 100% bullshit). This is a copyright holder with an already-existing copyright, which is a COMPLETELY different situation.

Copyright is dumb, etc. LotR should be in the public domain by now. 60 fucking years since their first publishing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 08:47:23 pm »

Where can i fully support WB on this? That will be against all users from this forum, but they clearly have the right in this case. You shouldnt be complaining about WB, but about stupid law as it is. You have all accepted that law, and now you are fighting against it? You dont like the law? See how many there are like you and win elections with that number, change it. You dont like the election law (multiple reasons)? Go make a civil war for this. But you wont do that. *Beee beee beee* *sheep noise*

We can be against someone enacting a stupid law that they have all rights to not use.

So where is the part where we can't be against Warner Bros using the law in a situation they
A) Do not need to do anything for
B) Do not gain anything for
C) Don't have reason to care

It would be like them going into a Preschool and blacking over the kids pictures of Legolas because they have all legal rights to.

LotR should be in the public domain by now. 60 fucking years since their first publishing

According to the current laws... LotR will be copyrighted for another 90 years

Since Copyright lasts 50 years and can be renewed as of today two extra times.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 08:47:53 pm »

WB may have the legal rights here, but it's kind of a pity that something like LOTR is so strictly licensed. For how old and popular it is, it feels like something that should be public domain.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-55585.html
We still have 20 more years, at least, until LOTR becomes public domain. More, if certain other copyright holders of certain other franchises, namely disney, decide to fight and add more years to that.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 08:49:14 pm »

Absolutely nothing to do with this, the thing that Blizzard was arguing was that since DotA was a mod/map for WC3, Valve couldn't have the rights. That was the official maker of a game claiming the rights to a mod of their game (which is 100% bullshit). This is a copyright holder with an already-existing copyright, which is a COMPLETELY different situation.

Copyright is dumb, etc. LotR should be in the public domain by now. 60 fucking years since their first publishing.

Even if it not in public domain it a mod as long as they don't ripe stuff from anything they should be able to make the mod if they did ripe stuff then they should stop making it though.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 08:49:25 pm »

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-55585.html
We still have 20 more years, at least, until LOTR becomes public domain. More, if certain other copyright holders of certain other franchises, namely disney, decide to fight and add more years to that.

Unless they renew the copyright...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 09:55:14 pm »

Published 1954-1955? Not old enough.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 09:56:56 pm »

Published 1954-1955? Not old enough.

Not while Disney keeps creating copyright renewal

A lot of the truely pessimistic people believe that eventually copyright will never reasonably run out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6