Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: LotR mod for Skyrim receive cease&desist letter from Warner Bros *UPD:PETITION*  (Read 19844 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

No.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it's over nine....well, you know.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf

There is a LotR mod for vanilla Mount&Blade. It took years to finish and from what I gathered it's not just simple armor-replacement mod. Never played it myself, having Steam version of M&B and this particular mod having some problems with Steam (at least last time I checked).

And from quick look from their forums, there does not seem to be any copy-rights problems whatsoever.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous to try and shut down a MOD for a game. 
Oh, and I see this is actually an old mod, dating from 2008?
You know, I am not a fan of Oblivion (though I do not think it a strictly bad game) and I never played Skyrim, nor even this LotR mod, and I generally don't outright endorse mindless piracy...but things like that truly are irritating. I mean, come on, it's a mod.

It's a FAN mod. Made by people who LIKE LotR and they show it by actually trying to CREATE something, not just SAY they like it.
Is not this what a fan would do?
It's not like they are trying to steal it/copy it/re-brand it and then use it for their own monetary gain, right?
Sad, really, trying to shut it down.
:(
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud

The funny thing is that they'd stand more to gain by fighting the precedent that they have to instantly cease-and-desist. There's no possible way a mod like this can't generate interest in games with more money behind them. A skyrim mod will never be an MMO.

Anyone remember PernAngband? Was an Angband variant that added elements from the Pern setting. Nowadays goes by TOME. Anne McCaffrey/Ubisoft (almost certainly primarily the latter) threatened its existence, and there's virtually no interest for a new game. Ubisoft released one crappy title back in 2001, and nothing since, so why should they care if a roguelike (FFS) uses a smattering of elements from the setting? O.o

Someone needs to systematically teach authors (zombie-Tolkein is something else here, obviously) that game and movie companies do not have their best interests at heart, that licensing their works is riskier than just grabbing a camcorder/programming tutorial and making the stuff yourself. At least then you see all the profits, you don't have to worry they'll shelve your work for decades because they half-assed it in a flooded market, and you have the satisfaction of a happy fanbase.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually that you have to fight it is a bit of a myth. In Trademark law (not copyright), you have to fight against your brand becoming generic (so, someone deciding that "googling" just means searching in any search engine, is dangerous to Google because their brand may become generic, like Xerox means "copying" or Kleenex means "tissue paper") - not every single instance of your brand being used for anything including someone writing something bad about it.

There's nothing forcing you to enforce copyright in every single case. You can decide not to go after a specific use, and you DON'T lose the ability to go after another person later. So, it's just an excuse (we're not evil, we just HAVE to send you a nastygram and/or sue you!)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]