Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: centration  (Read 10806 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: centration
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2014, 09:49:38 am »

hey 13 bucks is 13 bucks, thats like 3 days of lunch for me.

Two for me, and I didn't even buy Centration.  I was warned off it.

I'm in the "wait and see" camp on almost everything "early access."  The only reason I own a couple (notably Space Engineers, and Sir, You are Being Hunted) is because they were on sale for cheap.  Actually Space Engineers I might've had a 25% off coupon.  So not super cheap, but reasonable for something I wasn't expecting to play for a long time.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2014, 10:38:22 am »

I got Space Engineers around 13 bucks at release and this was way before the price hike and survival mode. Centration is promising and they already have key features in just nothing to manage them. I already got enough early access stuff to go through so its going to be a while before i grab this anyways.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2014, 11:28:41 am »

I got Space Engineers around 13 bucks at release and this was way before the price hike and survival mode.

According to Steam I paid $11.24, which...is 25% off of $15

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2014, 12:50:29 pm »

Personally, I'll stick to SS13. What can I say, I'm a sprite artist and I find the pixel graphics pleasing. Early access is fine but it is a question of faith in most cases.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2014, 12:58:15 pm »

Early access is fine but it is a question of faith in most cases.

I've seen too many big-name games be terrible and have pre-orders (cough, all of them) and too many small-name games get all but abandoned (I forget which studio now, but hey started a second game--as well as act as a publisher for another guy's game--before ever finishing their first).

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2014, 01:01:50 pm »

Personally, I'll stick to SS13. What can I say, I'm a sprite artist and I find the pixel graphics pleasing. Early access is fine but it is a question of faith in most cases.
You play SS13 because you enjoy pixel art? That's like going to kindergarten on painting day because you enjoy paintings :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2014, 01:02:33 pm »

Meh.

As Miauw said, only SS13 can be the next SS13. It's probably my favourite game of all time, and the numerous failed remakes over the years have done nothing to pique my interest.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2014, 01:05:21 pm »

You play SS13 because you enjoy pixel art? That's like going to kindergarten on painting day because you enjoy paintings :P
Hey, some of the sprites are good! Others are... Yeah.

I just like how quietly open world it is. You can do a lot but it isn't immediately obvious. I think "SS13" is actually among DF in good games. And also the list of "games with a graveyard of games that tried and failed to copy it successfully".

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2014, 01:10:10 pm »

Meh.

As Miauw said, only SS13 can be the next SS13. It's probably my favourite game of all time, and the numerous failed remakes over the years have done nothing to pique my interest.

Failed remakes? As far as I know, there's only been an attempt or two (at BS12) that actually burned out and were abandoned. The rest is still in development.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2014, 01:24:08 pm »

Meh.

Failed remakes? As far as I know, there's only been an attempt or two (at BS12) that actually burned out and were abandoned. The rest is still in development.

There's been at least four that I know of. One never really made it past the concept phase, one had some initial code done, I think that one was out of /tg/, then noone ever heard from it again. The other two came from BS12 unless I'm mistaken. I forget the names of them all, but none ever made something playable.

As for semi active remakes, there are Primulus, that's a newer BS12 one, Centration, and that goon remake that's been dragging on for a few years with little to show. None of them besides Centration have anything out and playable yet, and I wouldn't exactly call Centration playable at the moment.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2014, 01:46:22 pm »

Things Id like in a SS13 remake/sequel:
-No lag. Because Oh god that lag.
-A streamlined interface.
-No BYOND, because of the lag.
-Some voice chat (yes I realize the dangers of asshats screaming all the time, but on a decent server it'd help slow typers to roleplay/interact better)
-Did I mention the lag?
-Better manuals, or at least more complete wikis. So many things aren't in there, or not decently explained.
-Less lag would be nice.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2014, 02:07:39 pm »

Early access is fine but it is a question of faith in most cases.

I've seen too many big-name games be terrible and have pre-orders (cough, all of them) and too many small-name games get all but abandoned (I forget which studio now, but hey started a second game--as well as act as a publisher for another guy's game--before ever finishing their first).
Stardrive comes to mind. While "finished," it's nowhere near a complete game compared to one of the games that acted as inspiration such as MOO2, and apparently due to the issues with what the creator hard coded mods can only do so much to fix it. Meanwhile, he's started on Stardrive 2, which looks (so far) exactly like the first one judging by released screenshots.

I'm holding out on buying this, based around the Steam comments of it basically being an airflow simulator, with no actual gameplay yet. I have enough early access games that haven't delivered yet (though 7 Days to Die is making great pace), so another one that I'll forget about until its inevitably broken release isn't something I want right now.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2014, 02:35:36 pm »

Any kind of newbie-friendly complex-task helper system would be much appreciated.

I shouldn't have to alt-tab and consult a wiki on the 37 step process of dismantling a busted door lock.  I should be able to turn on some kind of user-friendly help system (gosh, maybe even an AR overlay?) that'll walk me through the process.

It didn't help that SS13's inventory system was a right pain in the arse.  Yes, fine, you only have two hands.  I get it.  Now give me that damn screwdriver.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2014, 03:04:03 pm »

Even the dumbest of stumps can hold multiple things in one hand. Like six grocery bags, or a whip and a pair of pliers. Doesn't mean you can use those things effectively.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2014, 03:14:28 pm »

Any kind of newbie-friendly complex-task helper system would be much appreciated.

I shouldn't have to alt-tab and consult a wiki on the 37 step process of dismantling a busted door lock.  I should be able to turn on some kind of user-friendly help system (gosh, maybe even an AR overlay?) that'll walk me through the process.

It didn't help that SS13's inventory system was a right pain in the arse.  Yes, fine, you only have two hands.  I get it.  Now give me that damn screwdriver.

You mean you didn't memorize how to cut someone's appendix out while cooking a prize winning cheese wheel?

Pshaaaw. Casuals.

/notserious

Anyways, I'm on the fence about this as well :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6