Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Hopestarved:succession game  (Read 16087 times)

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
Re: Hopestarved:succession game
« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2012, 06:55:09 am »

Well as soon as it comes to my turn again I'm turning this into a Nod fortress and locking any GDI collaborators out :) also that's a good question; with literally no metals how IS the militia doing?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2012, 09:41:49 am »

Exluding hunters, the military has five squads of 3-4 dwarves each. At present they have shields and as more copper is unearthed, they'll have some basic weaponry and equippment.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2012, 09:45:22 am »

Is there any casserite or iron bearing ores?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2012, 09:53:25 am »

None that my exploratory mines have found. There is marble that we ran accross, however I doubt we've any other militarily useful ores. However that's not all bad; unarmored dwarves make up for thier lack of staying power with raw speed when they have wood shields. And if they take out your legs you're good as dead unless you get a luck hit in. (This I based off of my speardwarves of glacialhell, who lacked armor and only had purchased or scavanged iron and copper spears and wooden shields. They couldn't take a hit from anything sharp and pointy, but they tended to move fast enough that it was often a moot point.)

CharlesMcFist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2012, 09:59:34 pm »

wood shields
You...wood is for Elves, boy! Do you think we are some (and I QUOTE) TREE-FONDLING, NATURE LOVING HIPPIES! NO! WE ARE DWARVES! WE DRINK BEER IN THE NAME OF ARMOK, AND BEND NATURE TO OUR WILL! A TRUE DWARF WOULD NEVER CONSTRUCT WOOD WEAPONS, YET ALONE SHIELDS!

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2012, 10:05:38 pm »

wood shields
You...wood is for Elves, boy! Do you think we are some (and I QUOTE) TREE-FONDLING, NATURE LOVING HIPPIES! NO! WE ARE DWARVES! WE DRINK BEER IN THE NAME OF ARMOK, AND BEND NATURE TO OUR WILL! A TRUE DWARF WOULD NEVER CONSTRUCT WOOD WEAPONS, YET ALONE SHIELDS!
I would agree but those shields might have been stolen from the elves. Urge to steal from the elves trumps urge to avoid wooden equipment every time.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2012, 10:07:32 pm »

Wooden shields weigh less. Less encumberance means faster soldiers. Faster soldiers mean less injuries. Less injuries means said soldiers can kick more ass. Plus they're less resource intensive (1 log vs 3 metal bars which right now are at a premium.) The only downside is reduced damage, but then even adamantine hammers can smash a skull inside a helmet with a strong enough dwarf.

And in referring to both cases: Combination of fabricated by our carpenters AND stolen or purchased. And I'll have you know my dwarf is usung a wooden spear as a show of sheer defiance of the natural order. And it's unfortunately the only spear in the whole fortress.

Ok, so I've expanded goddly's office to meet his baronhood requirements. may need to construct hima better abode and an entire new fortress below this organizational flop that's been built up here.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2012, 10:16:54 pm »

Fair enough. As long as at least 50% of it is elven made, watching the tree huggers squirm as you slowly slice the wood into equipment makes up for the shame of making wooden equipment to begin with.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2012, 10:21:35 pm »

No shame in making wooden shields when it's a matter of resources. Metal is at a premium and if Godly mandates more axes I won't be able to even make any spears, let alone sheilds.

CharlesMcFist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 12, 2012, 03:49:46 pm »

wood shields
I would agree but those shields might have been stolen from the elves. Urge to steal from the elves trumps urge to avoid wooden equipment every time.

Point taken.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 12, 2012, 05:33:47 pm »

No shame in making wooden shields when it's a matter of resources. Metal is at a premium and if Godly mandates more axes I won't be able to even make any spears, let alone sheilds.
Speaking of me, how is my mandate going? Axes and Hammers are the most dwarfy weapons available! To hell with your spears!!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 12, 2012, 06:02:21 pm »

They've been met Thankfully. And I'd rather not retrain the gusy with spear skill in axe useage.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 15, 2012, 01:32:22 am »

Ok, all good military candidates are organized by the custom profession Conscript, we have a badass hunter who has a 150somthing worldgen kills and missing her right eye (who is now in charge of the marksdwarf squad being the most talented and badass at present.) The Spears of Summer now all have weapons and Godly mandated another axe, nessessitating the smelting of more of our scarce ore. on the plus side, the Spears of Damnation and the Axes of Autumn will have weapons. Population sits at 107, with 13 being kids. The road is also almost done.

EDIT: Make that 110~. And we have a vampire that killed a wood worker that moved in with the recent migration so I'm going to do a curse check by watched EVERY SINGLE Sleeper in the fortress.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2012, 10:07:15 pm »

Ok, sorry about my slow pace. We have now traded with the humans, buying all thier fischer and prickle berry seeds, what little booze and every bit of meat, fish, and cheese they had, including some valley herbs if we ever get a glassworks up. Still haven't been ID the vamp yet and have been constantly monitoring the sleeping since the first death occured. A Mason gave birth to twins and our population sits at 114. Oh and I killed the human law-giver I think. not sure. Might have just been a guild rep. ANyways, my appologies.The Autumn migrant wave should come soon so I'm almost done.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2012, 03:02:02 am »

Now a good ways into autumn, though not quite into the migrant season. Found the vampire after I noted his suspicious lack of food and bed related thoughts. SInce you guys are still humoring me, what shall I do with him? Wall him in? Atomsmasher?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17