Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 567354 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #3000 on: March 09, 2016, 03:18:29 pm »

I had a dream a while back that still bothers me. I was sitting in the senior study doing homework and for whatever reason it was packed except for the one seat opposite me. I couldn't recognise anybody in the room.
Then my crush walks into the room and sits down opposite me. Our eyes meet and my nose explodes and I wake up.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: March 10, 2016, 01:19:32 am »

Three (unrelated) epic dreams, this last night (and, as I woke up at 5:30am, I'm left again both wondering how the time fits in and whether or not to risk going back to bed for the next couple of hours or so).

The first was an interesting post-apocalyptic landscape of wandering warriors (although it might have been an alien planet, later on, upon which our warriors had been landed may have had a little civil war, but now were dragging themselves back up from their own remnants of civilisation).  A big question raised was the strange satellite in orbit around the planet we were on (whichever that might have been) that was beeping out "SOS" in morse.  Visibly.  Leaving trails.  Leaving my character trying to get the others to realise that there's something strange about the . . . / - - - / . . . trails left in the wake of a satellite.  Further pointing out that some of those bits were off-pattern (not that I could read them).  Further further pointing out that when each triplet ended, the tracks 'jumped back' in the sky and noticeably started further back again.  Implying that there wasn't just a simple satellite (alien or otherwise) creating this effect, although nobody else seemed bothered at all by this.

It ended with our 'team', having (despite some strange politics that meant that technically I was an outlaw) just missing getting onto the open elevator-platform-type-thing destined to rendezvous with the satellite, I think I was trying to tell the others in my group about the anomalies, so only the head guy we'd met got on board just before its scheduled departure.

(For those that advocate entering a lucid dream-state by finding something wrong in the dream, including trying to read things and finding them unreadable, it never seems to work for me.  When I clearly see things that are wrong, I am living the fact that they are wrong, within the dream, I don't 'pop out' into lucidity.)

Dream number two (or maybe three, hard to tell in hindsight) involved a city-scape.  From some context or other, the question was raised about what colour clothing the unicorn would be wearing.  Apparently I should know this if I had read Angels And Demons (which I haven't).  Apparently the unicorn (named 'Angel' but demonic) wasn't wearing a red jumpsuit, which was my guess, but I never found out what.  Also Angel-the-demonic-unicorn is a an architect who has designed many buildings but had few (if any!) built, we discover.

(This is one of the few dream subjects that I can track back to previously learnt wakeful information.  A few days ago I heard a radio programme featuring a female architect who kept winning contracts for he designs but then getting rebuffed or forced to rebid, for one reason or another.)

Other things happened in the cityscape, but that's the big message I took from it.

Third (or maybe second, but I'm sure it's the one I woke up from) dream was based around a complex that I identified as a shopping centre.  (Yes, I've been around a shopping centre, in the last few days, but this is no indication of much.)  One of the big questions was of why my father's phone's credits have been running down through increased data usage whilst in a certain area of this mall, despite the fact that he (like I) doesn't use any data allocation with his distinctly non-smart phone.  I think I was close to the source of this problem (and possibly investigating this purely dream-based situation) when I woke up.  There were slightly pulsating silvery pipes involved, possibly, unless that was just a heating system.  (Again, there was more in the dream, but that was the basic episode-long theme around which the rest revolved.)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3002 on: March 10, 2016, 10:28:16 am »

Spoiler: Warning, violent. (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: March 15, 2016, 04:36:50 pm »

Dreamed I was in a platformer adventure game, with three other characters in the party. It was set in and around a city built on stone steps in a shallow sea. The waters around the sea were dotted with other structures, apparently all abandoned. There was a hole in the sea floor that led to other worlds, and after travelling through it and coming back there was a huge three-headed sea serpent/dragon at the entrance. We ignored it and continued the journey homewards, but were interrupted by another sea serpent, with only on head.
The serpent was faster than our jetski craft so we climbed on one of the structures, a wooden home on stilts in Japanese style architecture, and fought it. It tore the building apart, and swallowed one of the companions. I swam to a nearby tower as the dragon also attacked, killing the other serpent. We could barely harm the serpent, and the dragon was nigh invincible. I managed to climb to the top of the tower just in time, it being made of steel and reinforced concrete. The dragon could reach all the way to the top, was striking at me constantly. My companions were apparently dead. Eventually, I lost.
The game restarted at the point where the serpent attacked us, and this time I had everyone follow me up the tower immediately. The serpent couldn't reach, and when the dragon attacked we had a scant few moments to return to our boats and flee to the city (the dragon couldn't keep up). Once there we told the king we were fucked, and fishing boats shouldn't be launched. One such boat was destroyed by the dragon with all hands lost. Luckily, it didn't try to crawl across the stones to reach the city.
There was a temple in the city we were shown to, that was supposed to explain the significance of the dragon and the serpents. That's all I remember.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: March 16, 2016, 01:25:44 pm »

I was in a mall and was with some people I know, apparently there was a big parade coming through the mall so I decided to sit on a bench near the parade and watch it, I didn't see much of the parade but I did see two big slabs of something with some dwarf fortress stuff on it, someone was also giving out some rubbery plump helmet toy things, the girl giving them out just took the whole pile and dropped them on the lap of someone near me, I wanted one and the person sitting to the right of me gave me one. Was good day.

At this point a friend of mine enters the dream, we have a fairly sane conversation. He tells me that he's here to make sure I behave, he tells me: "Not to do anything more extreme then hug or kiss someone or the person will be replaced with him." I asked him who sent him to do this but he refused to tell me, some other weird junk happened like having a game menu appear and me modifying my appearance with stuff that had weird descriptions. I don't know when, but at some point I realized that this was a dream. So I started pointing at people and telling them that they aren't real, one person started crying, a few looked angry, another one just looked shocked. I then asked my friend if I was allowed to merge with someone, he didn't understand what I meant by merge with someone. I literally meant merge with someone. I then grabbed the nearest person and merged with him and doing so...killed all life on earth.

I'm now in a spaceship and I get out to check out the planet, rock, endless fields of rock, there is no sun, there is no moon, there is no sky. I decided to mine for some materials, I do so by tunneling through the rock with my bare hands, I eventually find some copper and coal and niter. I continue my search and eventually I find...Mcdonalds french fries, and there is a window and on the other side is the interior of a Mcdonalds and some guy is working, I decided to eat a few french fries and punch the window a few times, no damage no response. Then the french fries for the most part turned into a burrito, and behind me, more french fry burritos. I wake up shortly after.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: March 16, 2016, 02:53:37 pm »

Last night was unusual, dream-wise.  I seemed to get a very noticeable 'retries' on two dream segments.

One of them boiled to down my interviewing someone in a radio studio (not sure where that came from!) holding a microphone that seemed to insist on leaking water, whilst in use.  But I went through the same scene twice, for some reason.

The other I've forgotten, by this evening, but I know it was a repeat.  (I think it was a navigational exercise across my typical dreamscape geography.)

Though the most real-life-applicable (non-repeating) dream segment (and the most real-life-applicable part of any recent dream I've brought to mind) was myself being a starting timekeeper in a time-trial (something I've been known to do), and having to fend off people who are asking me what time certain riders finished at... Which, of course, I wouldn't know, because I'm just the one starting them!

I get one person asking me "what time do you have for <competitor>?" just after I set them on their way.  (My 'witty' answer was along the lines of "I have zero... as you'll have just heard me count down 'five, four, three, two, one, zero' as you saw me set them off just a few seconds ago..." - which is technically wrong, as I'd have said "Go!", instead, but my dreamself found it terribly amusing.)  And then there was a question about a further competitor who had not even started yet, so I told them "minus eighteen minutes", as the time until they were due to start.  Dreamself found that funny, too, but I can't remember how dreamidiot reacted to that information.

(Real life enquiries are very rarely (but not never!) so dumb, but obviously the dream-world prefers to roll with such themes and exaggerate them a little.)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: March 17, 2016, 02:52:04 am »

Well, I jsut had a pair of possibly interconnected dreams, which I think I may have had one of before, with some new bits added.

In the first one, theres silly shit happining in a military base as a bunch of scientists decide they want to marry the same person and wind up proposing to their love at the same time. Ive had this before, although the US getting invaded from the south or the south declaring a second civil war or whatever was new.

The second, which may have been part of the first, involved the sun detaching part of itself, which goes and hits the earth. That or the sun deciding it wants to be a red giant NOW and expanding to hit the earth. In any event, theres a bunch of people in a brick building resembling a school I went to wondering what the hell is going on and the bit of sun, or the sun, or whatever hits the hearth and flows over to where they are, covering the building, then nothing at all, Dream over, Im awake.
 There is singing of "here comes the sun" while this happens.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3007 on: March 17, 2016, 03:03:48 am »

I had a dream a while back that still bothers me. I was sitting in the senior study doing homework and for whatever reason it was packed except for the one seat opposite me. I couldn't recognise anybody in the room.
Then my crush walks into the room and sits down opposite me. Our eyes meet and my nose explodes and I wake up.
After a customary ask of Google and my friends the closest link I can find here is that in some animes, characters get nosebleeds when they look at cute women. Anyone else got any ideas?
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: March 17, 2016, 03:05:01 am »

I uh, I frequently have dreams that involve exotic vacations and sexual intercourse with the Goddess Athena....
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3009 on: March 17, 2016, 03:06:13 am »

I uh, I frequently have dreams that involve exotic vacations and sexual intercourse with the Goddess Athena....
You. Lucky. Bastard.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: March 17, 2016, 05:08:05 am »

What he said.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3011 on: March 17, 2016, 05:44:17 am »

Had a dream me and some other guy was making their way through some ruins, very nice ruins actually, with well-maintained dirt paths winding their way through picturesque scenes of trees and bushels and berries dotted everywhere. Something wasn't right of course, as I had to solve lethal puzzles to get us pass loads of rivers without dying when we end up trapped in the belly of an old steam cruiser. The bottom level was flooded to a certain extent and the water was unbearable warm, but not boiling so it could be touched or swam in. It was yet another puzzle, but I remember this time in particular how little I wished to step on the wrong log and fall in, as every time I had to dive back down to catch some calculator-looking maguffin I could see dead and drowned people. They weren't malevolent and didn't really do anything, but it was damn spooky. To top it all off the heat made it so that each time rising back to the surface was harder and harder and I remember in the dream reaching the top and telling useless bloke that I could not go back. We were beginning to solve the puzzle and find out what had happened to everyone on the ship, with one notable panic inducing moment being the necessary scaring of the dagon lizard (turns out it was more scared of startling noises than we of it), but the dream sadly ended before we figured out where it was all taking place. I woke up under the glare of the sun very thirsty and dehydrated D:<

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: March 17, 2016, 06:03:56 am »

You. Lucky. Bastard.

I mean, I'm certainly grateful for it all, but... it always ends with a sense of tragedy and the inkling of a dark age to come- with knowing that that the "time" for her and I has passed, that the light of youth and beauty and exuberance and reason are going out of the world for all time, and that our future has been sealed, as strange spires and cathedrals to foreign faiths and creeds rise out of sprawling modern-esque metropolises... honestly, I've awoken with tears a few time and that strange, nagging sense of remorse that lingers for a day or two. There is a sort of contentment or resolve to the experience, but it's agonizingly bitter-sweet...

But, ah, enough of that. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Tuxfanturnip

• Bay Watcher
  • The OS, the tuber, also this bird now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: March 17, 2016, 06:49:27 pm »

I had another dream with a train. I just remember one part, me with my parents buying tickets somewhere. There were two trains, and both went to the same destination. It got a bit strange from there, never consistent, the trains never looking the same when I looked back, the station shifting between a few I've been to. The only constant was incredibly bright sunlight coming down from straight above, really the only way I can distinguish it from other dreams I've had about trains. (or maybe some of those were part of this one?) We're discussing what kind of ticket to buy. There's a flat car at the end of one of the trains and, since this will be my last time on one of these trains, I want to ride on it. That's allowed, apparently. We go out to the platform and the trains are now very different. The one closer to us is Amtrak or something, the other is much wider, a bit taller, and apparently a bullet train. The flat car is on the back of the Amtrak one. I have some discussion with my parents about the price of the ticket and how if I'd known that the flat car was going to cost 155$ (no idea why I remember this) I wouldn't have asked for it. Turns out this is because the flat car is on the bullet train. No, now both trains have one, but the cheap train goes somewhere else. (Apparently a normal ticket would still get us where we needed to be?)

We look at the clock above the platform, which is currently in the form of the Tel Aviv University station, look over the fence past the end of the tracks as though the trains are pulling into the station, and jump down onto the tracks to run to the bullet train when the time is right. It is on a track with no corresponding platform, so we have to vault off the "unavailable" cheap flat car to get to it. My stepfather reaches it first, and it starts to move.My mother and I turn back to get on the other flatcar, which will apparently not only take us where we need to go, but at the same speed, so we can stay "together" across the gap between the trains. She's on the train already, asking if I need help, and I'm grabbing at whatever I can get to climb up as it starts moving, too. I have a brief idea to somehow slingshot myself across the gap using the train's momentum, but even dreaming I realize that will never work. Somehow I just can't grab onto anything on the train; instead of the utilitarian industrial tread you'd expect, it's styled like those rubber-coated playground platforms, with big circular holes that I can't quite reach to hook my fingers into. I'm about to slip off when I trigger a cutscene or something and just skip ahead to when the train pulls into a museum. A specific museum. I can't remember the rest, but it was vaguely similar to my actual visit there.

The ticket pricing, though it's really barely related at all, reminds me of a specific conversation I had earlier this week about helicopter taxi service. I don't know why.

Edit: I had another dream. No trains this time. Then I typed most of it out, bumped my mouse, and lost it all... Here goes the second draft!

It was an overcast day, and the alien occupiers were leaving. From some specific area perhaps, or just moving some cargo. Whatever it was, they were doing something that involved putting lots of aliens and boxes in a squat, froglike, blue-gray aircraft. They seemed unnaturally calm, continuing with their business even as rocks were thrown at them and some collapsed from concussions. I didn't get a good look at them through the crowd, but they were tall, thin, greenish gray, and obsessed with making select pieces of high technology glow painfully bright blue. For the most part, that meant weapons. I was holding one, for whatever reason. It was bulky in proportion to the aliens' size, but surprisingly light, made of the same material as the ship. I didn't really notice I had it until someone with curly hair and a top hat whispered in my ear to fire. That was probably an alternate version of me. A very specific one, that I could probably go on for a while about... but he was telling me to shoot, so I stood up straight and did so.

The projectile was a crescent of bluish light maybe a foot long, oriented more or less in the direction of motion and spinning slightly off its long axis, shedding sparks. The rotation produced an obnoxious Dopplered screaming as it flew. It exploded on impact, killing one of the two guards and all the aliens on the loading ramp. All hell broke loose. A few other members of the crowd pulled guns, the remaining guard halfheartedly returned fire, and within a minute the aircraft was a lifeless, mangled wreck. Something in the sky got angry. A bunch of soldiers had appeared at some point, possibly joining the fighting partway through, and together we hid in a fenced off area full of metal lockers from the wrath of the sky thing. It would bring down something that would make the weapons just employed look like firecrackers, and that particular phrase could only mean one thing: nukes. We were barely fifty feet from the craft, but of course the lockers would protect us. And so they did. It was probably something more like a dirty bomb, really. I panicked about "fallout", and lacking any sort of mask I pulled my shirt over my mouth and tried not to breathe. This served me all right until I could get a "proper" mask, which was actually a paper towel on a rubber band and made me feel really silly, especially when I returned to the blast site in an inexplicable crowd of teenagers and realized no one else was using masks. It was all a sham! And so it ended.

Now, for the wonderful, wonderful tabulation of inspiration. The alien craft was parked next to the barn/military base from XCOM:EU, and the crowd was backed up against it. The alien weapons probably came from some discussion here on plasma weapons I read last night. The projectile itself is a blue version of the attack animation for Terraria's Arkhalis. The soldiers were in vaguely WWII US uniforms, and probably come from Cryptonomicon, though one who stood out is how I imagined Billy Pilgrim to look. The fenced in area is the overgrown substation map element from XCOM 2, with the transformers replaced by the bath house's lockers from Stardew Valley. I've had a cold all week, so paper towels, covering my mouth with my shirt, and considering wearing masks in public have become very familiar. The overdressed high school students and the path they walked on are from a performance I attended a week ago. And last but not least, the "the radiation is not actually there!" comes from a weird cold-war-conspiracy-theory sci-fi piece I read last night, which I've regrettably forgotten the title of. It was very good and involved nuclear rockets.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:16:28 pm by Tuxfanturnip »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: March 19, 2016, 09:14:23 am »

Had a dream where a horse dentist was practicing out of his mansion-home.  His 15yr old son was playing with their pet giraffe and his 9yr old daughter doing whatever 9yrold rich girls do.

Suddenly zombie plague.

The giraffe  noms the crap out of the boys neck, and tosses him out the second story window.
The horse bites off the dentist's fingers, and the dentist runs off as the horse kicks a nurse in the face.

The last scene was the dentist lamenting the death of his son, and looking up at the mansion, wondering if his daughter was safe.  Cut to the daughter being thrown down the balcony into a wall.  A sponge-patted blood splotch appears, the garaffe's feet come into view, and teeth grab the girl's hand.  She is dragged out of view.

I woke up wondering what issues Ive been having.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 339