Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 567305 times)

Tuxfanturnip

• Bay Watcher
  • The OS, the tuber, also this bird now.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #2970 on: February 12, 2016, 03:17:13 pm »

I think I've been watching too many XCOM 2 LPs. The architecture in my dreams is starting to switch over to ADVENT military style decor.

The most recent dream I can remember much of started with me flying down a mountain at night, steadily losing altitude. It was a weird hybrid of the Just Cause 3 wingsuit, Elytra, and dream flying powers, with the slight complication that it was really cold, so I kept curling up into a ball for warmth and losing most of my lift. I stopped on a couple ledges to admire some ancient, twisted statues of nothing in particular, then landed at a stopped ADVENT convoy on the shore to meet up with my field trip group. I was late.

We took some ferry to a "museum" based on the rec center of a college I'd just toured, where I met a young girl who seemed to be a clone of someone I know. I was somehow weirded out enough to start arguing over it, but not clued in enough to use it as a reality check. It was surprisingly aggravating.

There's a sort of "seam" here, which feels like it fits in to a couple of scenes from previous dreams: some sort of sneaking around/fighting in a parking garage and getting lost in a large, dark city. The city in particular definitely fits, as it was the next destination of the field trip. It was some sort of dystopia with, again, the ADVENT aesthetic (but the wrong one, dark heavy-duty armor instead of the clean futuristic city style) and some sort of Divergent-like separation of teenagers by some trait, expressed through dyed hair. I ended up joining some rebellion and getting my hair dyed too; it came out as a horrific frizzy black mass with blotches of magenta, yellow and cyan. I was trying to find a place to wash my hair properly as soon as I could, but apparently the combination of all 3 hair colors (each secondary-color-on-black was a "faction" or whatever) made me the special main character who would end the dystopian oppression or something.

That was where it ended.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: February 13, 2016, 05:05:18 am »

I seem prone to cinematic dreams, or at least so I'd class them as.  And of not actually feeling refreshed when I wake, but that could be something else....

Last night was (or now is) fragmented, but eventually seemed to be based around a Stepford-type community where everyone knows each other's business, but we're the good-guys.  It transpires (though not from the off) that the bad-guys are a group of cab-drivers.  Actual left-pondian, inter-war, yellow-cab drivers; wearing utilitarian greatcoats and during at least occasion (in which 'I' was not there) they wielded flaming torches as they either had some sort of Clan Meeting or else threatened somebody.  I'm not sure how that went.  But very cinematic.  I'm fairly convinced that it was it was in black'n'white (or at least very colour-suppressed), even though I'm sure I dream in colour usually.  To top it all off, 'my' character, a bit of a Cary Grant, but with a healthy dollop of slapstick to him.

It didn't start that way, though.  It might have been something Minecrafty (I had a wolf, and a bow and arrow, and after a now-hazy bit involving something very un-Cary Grantish, I ended up capturing a spider and holding it as a weapon, held just so I could encourage it to squirt its web to capture/incapacitate other spiders), but then we were in this Stepfords-vs-Cabbies situation.

My office, a tall-ceilinged affair with a typical '20s/'30s appearance, has an an assistant who doesn't actually 'get' the Stepfordness, but she's good at her job and honest so we let her use an alcove for her work, rather than the middle of the office where everyone can see...  a slightly unusual arrangement that not everyone understands, but she's 'good people', so it passes.

[Things now happen, like the flaming-torches cab drivers around an upturned taxi, but this is something I don't actually 'know' about, and furthers the audience's information about the plot.  And probably the 'plot', too.  I'm not sure I understood it all, myself.]

I'm now in a hotel.  Possibly investigating.  There's a laundry-basket that I'm told must get to the elevator before a certain time to get to where it and its contents (my luggage?) is supposed to be going.  For some reason I don't want to be seen leaving the hotel, or... rather... I want to be thought of as going elsewhere.  I arrange that the laundry basket be moved slightly too late, to allay the suspicions of someone I assume is watching me, somehow distract the lift-boy/attendant/whoever and then rush into the elevator (still holding a plate... not sure why, maybe to convince someone that I was still eating in my room, or else going for a meal instead, and for some reason I can't drop the plate yet) and - unseen - flop into the basket.

Except that I'd apparently practised the manoeuvre without the plate, and whilst holding the plate it's not as easy.  Cue slapstick, as I flop into the basket in various ways until I and my plate (regular dinner-plate, and one of those huge-hamper-type laundry baskets that nearly fills the elevator!) 'somehow' fit in.  On top of the small amount of laundry.  I'm not sure where my luggage-in-the-laundry-basket is, at this point, but never mind.

I exit the elevator in the basement level, a largely open-plan (but laundry-stuffed) area.  From an establishing shot, I know that I've descended there just as someone who I probably don't want to be seen by has passed the bottom of the elevator, in that typical cinematic coincidence where guards or antagonists move past doors just before the protagonists step out, unobserved.  All this (and all that I remember that follows, save for a few fragments that might just be a camera-pretending-to-be-first-person) is seen in third-person.  Insert some flummery as I exit the basket, and it seems I find some overalls, to blend in.  Which I do, as a shift changes and a whole lot of others in similar overalls stream in and out of the place.  They may be the 'innocents' in the plot, workers unaware, as people akin to the cab-drivers are also there, likely the enforcers or the 'inner circle' of the plot.

I head for a stairwell, back up the building. (Same building?  Well, if this dream elevator works the way of normal elevators, one would think so, but it's a dream-elevator, so I think I'm actually intended to be in the basement of some warehouse or other building Downtown, rather than the basement of the hotel.)  To the top floor and the posh (hotel-like! ...so maybe they're dream-stairs, too!) top floor, with something of a penthouse-suite look to it.

I find the main antagonist's rooms and find... him dead.  He's set up this... organisation of sorts... for some nefarious purposes, but then (it appears) topped himself in remorse, and now he's a figurehead only of this autonomous cult.  Some plot-holes are sewn up for my Cary Grant character as he discovers this information (in documents on the desk?), but the-hell-if-I-can-remember how that actually happened.  But there's still the cab-drivers, and there's a confrontation with one as I exit the rooms, now with my assistant in tow and A.N.Other who I don't recall.  (But it's very much an inter-war thriller, both are ladies of my acquaintance who have taken on the 'sidekick' role.  The kind of fish-out-of-water semi-comedic types because they're ladies who aren't used to action-thriller situations and have to follow the hero around in high-heels but then occasionally do something spontaneously and fortuitous like knock a gun out of an assailant's hands purely because of their own clumsiness and because the Plot demanded that it happen so we could all get out of a sticky situation.)

The confrontation resolves in a camera-friendly manner, and it seems we've sorted the conspiracy out.  We read some rules on the wall, some sort of proclamation, regarding our Stepfordian community, which has the point that nobody is to have their own private space (but previously annotated, apparently by me (when?), that my Secretary is allowed an alcove, especially, because she's a good egg and it's Ok for her to have that little quirk) and we head for the elevator (a different one, remember we took the stairs up to here and it's probably a different building... as if that matters!) but my character appears to be genre-savvy.  Instead of getting in, closing the door and pressing the down button, he half-closes the door from the outside and presses down and the lift starts to move a bit and then sticks.  (No, not falls.  And no, that's not because the door is half-open.  But the implication is that had we got in, closed the doors and then pressed down we would... have gone down a few inches then stuck.  NOOOOOO!!!!!!)  It seems to be a last-laugh by either the pre-repentant antagonist who later suicided or the just-defeated cabbie-villain-cultmember-person.

But we didn't get caught by that non-lethal (at least not immedately lethal) trap, so Happy Ending!

THE END.  (I then woke up.  Probably to the sound of a closing overture, although I never did see any scrolling-past credits.)

Yeah, I'm not so sure that's a blockbuster, yet.  Needs a good re-write to fill in the gaps.  And to adjust the inherent sexism of the movie to at least modern-standards of sexism. And remove the bit about the spiders.  (Just to point out about the spiders, though, it wasn't that I was squeezing their abdomen to make them squirt silk from their rear spinicules, it was more like holding them by the legs and bending them up like a weird form of bulldog-clip.  Very unanatomical.  But that might have been more like a video-game than a genuine wildlife movie.)  But, other than that, and the current unavailability of Cary Grant, I think we have a hit on our hands!  In my dreams!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 06:33:59 am by Starver »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: February 13, 2016, 11:09:53 pm »

I'm on an island, been killing zombies for a bit. Then a red cloud comes rolling in, a survivor grabs me and puts a mask on my face. Someone else washes up, there skin peels off, and they begin an inhuman screech that slowly becomes more and more demonic. Explains the screachers from earlier.

Later. In a wierd tent-city thing. Large clouds are rolling in; none but the richest of people keep their masks on their people, as filters break, and some are willing to kill for them. I get in my tent, which is more like a collapsible, prefab house, and put my mask on to wait out the cloud. Apparently there's a big zombie in the middle that creates the cloud. Two bozos break-in; I hide. They begin arguing over who gets the place. I pull out throwing knives, throw them at 1's ankle and 2's knee. Missed 2, hit 1. HUD pops up, I can see health, energy, food, water, and what's in the tent, with space for upgrades. Fight the two, wasting time until the cloud rolls in. Put my mask on just in time; one's bleeding out, just threw two into a wall. Someone looks at me from their tent with a horrified look on their faces as I throw out the bodies. I smile.

Then I wake up and use this dream to plan a videogame I'll never successfully begin to create.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: February 13, 2016, 11:24:30 pm »

Vaguely Rashomon-style Old West crime mysteries over a new model of revolver that could "change the West as we know it."

A man is walking through the forest and is apprehended by the local sheriff, who accuses him of murder due to the blood on his hands. The man explains his story: he was camping out one night when some guy robbed him and tried to shank him when he "didn't have The Plans". After seeing his face, the thief realized he had the wrong guy and ran off. The man's hands got bloody when he treated his own wound.

The sheriff believes him and rounds up a posse to track down the assailant. Eventually, they find him holed up next to a fallen tree, nursing a wound of his own. The sheriff questions him at gunpoint and the thief tells his story: he was supposed to meet a man named "Corman Derby" in the forest to get plans for a new revolver with unprecedented accuracy; apparently, Derby was trying to start a revolution and give Texas back to Mexico, and needed this new gun to have an edge over the government; the thief was a double agent, pretending to be a revolutionary sympathizer but was actually trying to get dirt on Derby so the government could arrest him.

The sheriff is intrigued by this and has one of his guys run a check on this "Corman Derby" guy. He takes the first guy and the thief back to town with him.

In town, they find out that Corman Derby is a rich guy who bears a vague resemblance to The Master from Manos: The Hands of Fate. The sheriff and his gang start looking for Derby; as it turns out, he's right in Town Square. The sheriff points his gun at him and tells Derby that the jig's up, but Derby knew time was running out and had already managed to procure one of the revolvers. He takes a hostage and backs into a warehouse, yelling, "None o' this would'a happened 'f it weren't fer that fuckin' gun!"

I woke up at that point.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2974 on: February 15, 2016, 03:15:46 pm »

This is a touch graphic. Just a word of warning.

I made dancing girl automatons so real and beautiful they could entrance rooms of people. Then I would move in and kill them while they stared. The girls were my only companions.

I was caught. Standing beside a busy highway, I drank a jar of gasoline and self-immolated. Searing pain burnt through my veins and streams of fire burst from my rupturing eyes as I stepped into the highway, where I was struck by the oncoming cars. I stepped out of my body and onto the pavement, watching my charred body crumble away as the relentless traffic milled over it.

The police stopped the traffic for long enough to cross the road and speak to me. I told them I had no idea who they were asking about, and that they could ask my mother and my brother Teoth. I can't recall the address I gave them, but it was to the East-North-East, in a poorer part of town.

One of them recognised the names and challenged me. I confessed. They were one of my dancing girls. They led me to a small couch placed in the middle of the road, with a coffee table and a rug. The other dancing girls were there too, calling me sister. I sagged into the embrace of one seated on the couch.

Then I woke up.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: February 15, 2016, 05:58:52 pm »

Oh hey, I forgot to post in the proper dream thread! May as well do that now...

Night of 1/17/2016 - 1/18/2016
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Night of 1/22/2016-1/23/2016

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: February 17, 2016, 12:35:10 pm »

I just dreamed I was in a cinematic perplexicon boss fight. Let's see...
There was some sort of temple. The antechamber had a bunch of pillars, and 5 pedestals. We had collected 5 tablets and 5 keys, each in matching colors to the pedestals, the tablets were floating in the air near the pedestals, and images had appeared on them to indicate what we had to do next. A keyhole had appeared on the white (center) pedestal due to us doing what was displayed on the white tablet, so we used the key in the hole.
All the pedestals and tablets recessed into the floor, and much of the floor fell away to reveal raw flowing energy; a manifestation of raw Pool. Someone fell in, and was dissolved into it. A statue appeared, pure white, at the far end of the antechamber/boss arena. It's eye transformed into the eye of the dude who fell in, and it's arms looked like his, but otherwise it was an emotionless vaguely female featureless white statue that attacked everyone in sight with streams of burning liquid light (I'm assuming the spell was something like "Beam Beam Light Light Light Light Light Away-from-me Away-from-me Seek-Target Seek-Target Seek-Target Condense-material-into-liquid Condense-material-into-liquid Anti-matter", which would imply at LEAST 14 pool and the regeneration that went with it; given what's under the floor, it had to be attached to it). I had somehow dodged it's attacks, and was hiding behind a pillar with an Adamantine Insectoid Tentacle Lizard Man (I was assuming it must be Derm), and I made a deal with him; when we stepped out to attack the statue, we'd hold hands (claws?) and say the same words at the same time, pointing at the same target (the statue), trying to combine our Pot to beat it's Pool. While we were talking, the person hiding behind the next pillar over heard us, and agreed to join in as well. So we all stepped out at once, somehow having more individual speed than the boss, grabbed hands with Derm in the middle, and chanted out a four word spell, hoping that our collective Pot would be added up and used together. The spell was "Blackhole Seek-Target Away-from-me Protect-me-from-spell". We were launched backwards (a typical result of combining Blackhole and Protect-me-from-spell), and the third person didn't manage to stop himself on time, falling into the abyss of endless Pool. Derm and I stopped at the ledge. The statue gained the mouth and wings of the person who fell in, but the blackhole was rapidly approaching her. It was ripping out bits of the roof, it pulled over a pillar, and it was tearing up the floor, despite not being near any of them. It seemed we had succeeded in combining our Pot. The hole sucked in the statue as it attempted to fly away and blast it with the same kind of beam as before (but with even more Pool put into it), but it did nothing except to feed the hole. The statue was disintegrated, and the floor slid back into place over the abyss, and the pedestals and tablets returned (except for the white ones), and the blackhole continued going, into the sky, causing an eclipse. After a while, it expired, but the sun was MUCH dimmer; from where it was, two gassy forms floated down and were absorbed by Derm and me; at which point I woke up, with a need to use the washroom.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: February 17, 2016, 05:23:42 pm »

Trailer for Perplexicon:The Movie much?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: February 17, 2016, 05:36:16 pm »

Dreamt I was some sort of servant in a really odd group of thieves or something. My boss was gothic looking girl and my only other partner was a hulking guy with a deep voice. We got into an apartment and then she told me to search around. I found a guy wearing what appeared wearing an uniform not dissimilar to one of those elevator helper guys in luxury hotels. Then we both teleported to a stony balcony, were apparently I had to challenge him to a really odd game that consisted of sitting on an iron bar and then moving back and forth until we both fell down.

We fell down in the end. As we hit the ground, we got teleported to a bathroom kind of place. The guy was crying and I told him it was ok, and now he was one of us, he looked at me with sad eyes and nodded, and we got out of the room and met up with my boss and the other guy, we grabbed some stuff and got off the apartment. Then I woke up.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2979 on: February 17, 2016, 06:12:39 pm »

I had a dream that my brother wanted to watch me play Men of War: Assault Squad 2 and he was really excited (he plays console games because all his friends are there but I want him to get a PC so we can play together, so in my dream I guess I thought I was convincing him to get a PC by showing him this game I like). He pointed at a single player level that was named after a historical battle I had never heard of. I remember he said the name, but I can't remember what it was now. I started the level and all my starting infantry (I was playing as the USA) were on a huge craft floating in open water that I can only describe as an oversized, open-topped AAV. I had to order my soldiers out of the giant, bathtub shaped ship (it's main gun was scaled up as well which was exciting). It fired at something off screen as they landed in the water and swam to nearby pieces of floating metal wreck protruding up from the ocean floor so that they could fire at the Japanese soldiers, firing back with their Arisaka rifles, perched on comically small desert islands only wide enough for one person to stand on. Before I could buy any more units I woke up.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 06:14:31 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2980 on: February 17, 2016, 09:12:48 pm »

Sell your dream to the Daily Mail for maximum profit

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: February 18, 2016, 02:16:36 am »

*looks at own thread for the first time in over a year*

You guys all good? Good, good.

*leaves for another aeon*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: February 18, 2016, 05:49:00 am »

I had a chain dream, where multiple storylines mix together into one giant story. I can't remember much of it.

It first started as a 3D platforming game, where my group collected treasures across a wide variety of areas, ending when my team ran into the Big Bad castle and decided to give up. With the proceeds, we bought an old broken-down shop and decided to live in it. Where I found out that one of my team mates had created a brand of animations that I loved so much.

The home was in a tough neighborhood, and after the leader's car got trashed by a gang living in a never-completed construction (It looked like one of those multi-story glass buildings, except with no windows) I suggested we torch out the gang with molotovs and flamethrowers. Leader pointed out that such an endeavor would be fruitless without money, so we were left to seethe.

Then a short part where I can't remember much, but I do remember being able to upgrade the home with money.

Afterwards, the leader's parents moved in. While friendly, his father had thoroughly convinced the mother that the brain cancer she was so obviously suffering was not real; even disregarding our *expert* medical advice in pointing it out.

Then came the longest part, I married animator-guy, and he took up a job as a bus driver. While dropping off children, he took me to drop me off at a nearby store. As he had a headache, I offered to take over. I was apparently such an atrocious driver that I was labeled a hijacker. In my defense, it was the road that was bad, with stone platforms hastily thrown over the many pitfalls; though me forgetting where the brakes were and plowing through a drive-through gas station was sorta my fault.

Years passed, with us raising a family in that bus. We had proved to be geniuses with automotives, and had upgraded that schoolbus to the point where it could survive law enforcement, the army, and my horrible driving skills (Yes he still let me drive, no my skills did not improve). Cue a short cutscene where the newly hired psychologist (who looked a lot like Morgan Freeman) had a revelation and convinced the team attempting to capture me that this was all a misunderstanding. We picked up the long-forgotten radio, and agreed to surrender, we got off scott free and moved back into the old group-house.

Time-skip ahead, our skills at upgrading had revolutionized the world. The leader's parents had died, and to pay the bills he had started a dessert company. As we walked down the road to the shop, a passing driver of a giant flatbed truck tipped his hat towards us before driving on.

We listened to Leader's new advertising, where he had apparently found a recipe to the most delicious sweets in the world that was also healthy at the same time. He made a lot of suspicious comments about how *not poisonous* the ingredients were, so I decided to stick around.

It turns out that the secret ingredient was made by a couple (like married couple) of large living soap dispensers that were filled with some toxic soap-like substance. Apparently so toxic that every time they got angry and leaked some, Leader had to shell out some money on the antidote that was also part of his recipe every time that happened. They were apparently miserable at their state of life, so I suggested that they try working as a shower head.

Cue a short cutscene consisting of several different angles of water fountain-ing out of one of those plastic tanks that water is often delivered in. Apparently they loved their new job, and Leader was able to continue his dessert-making enterprise in relative peace.

The story ends with the now elderly me and my husband in a bathtub together, looking over the animations I loved so much in the past.

Then I woke up and needed to go to the bathroom.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 05:50:32 am by Blaze »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: February 18, 2016, 05:58:55 pm »

In my dream last night:

First I was talking to people. They were talking about a friend I knew several years ago. Then I was in a car. I was on my way to a rocket because I was going to go to space. I was kind of nervous, though.

Then I moved to England.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: February 18, 2016, 10:32:51 pm »

I was back in my high school again, and the teacher was absent so I had to teach Social Studies to the class, except I have no idea what I'm doing and I couldn't make sense of the textbook.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 339