Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Retirement/ Saving  (Read 3459 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement/ Saving
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 05:42:57 pm »

Yeah, I tried playing a few fortresses a longgg long time ago; but I was terrible at it and sort of forgot about Dwarf Fortress. I got back into it and it's all quite overwhelming, but absolutely amazing. The whole idea that this is MY unique world, in which I can do pretty much whatever the hell I want in, and it has its own unique histories and characters etc etc. I was able to sustain a fort pretty fruitfully for awhile, but there is just SO much going on in this game. It's amazing, and what DOES happen I can usually flex my creative writing skills with. So, it's all around amazing. I constantly have the wiki and the forums up while I play, I do appologize for spamming SO many questions. Nice to meet you :D
Right now, I'm mostly messing with adventure mode. Fortress mode is a blast but it's something of a commitment, and I want to mess around a bit before I get serious again with Fortressing, My last fortress fell to a forgotten beast, and with the help of the forums I was able to take it down with a seven group reclaimation squad of what I like to think of as mercenary dwarfs. :P This game is nothing but epic.
Yeah, I kinda feel the same way about Fortmode.  It's nifty, but a commitment.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 05:50:43 pm »

Yeah, I tried playing a few fortresses a longgg long time ago; but I was terrible at it and sort of forgot about Dwarf Fortress. I got back into it and it's all quite overwhelming, but absolutely amazing. The whole idea that this is MY unique world, in which I can do pretty much whatever the hell I want in, and it has its own unique histories and characters etc etc. I was able to sustain a fort pretty fruitfully for awhile, but there is just SO much going on in this game. It's amazing, and what DOES happen I can usually flex my creative writing skills with. So, it's all around amazing. I constantly have the wiki and the forums up while I play, I do appologize for spamming SO many questions. Nice to meet you :D
Right now, I'm mostly messing with adventure mode. Fortress mode is a blast but it's something of a commitment, and I want to mess around a bit before I get serious again with Fortressing, My last fortress fell to a forgotten beast, and with the help of the forums I was able to take it down with a seven group reclaimation squad of what I like to think of as mercenary dwarfs. :P This game is nothing but epic.
Yeah, I kinda feel the same way about Fortmode.  It's nifty, but a commitment.

So do you primarily play in adventure mode than? What kinds of things have you come up with doing to keep yourself occupied?
Also, is a "Holy Brilliance" a civilization leader? I'm looking to kill the old king of the civilization my dwarves fell under. He seems to have a liege of "cultists" what's going on exactly?
The wiki doesn't seem to have much as far as titles and such go; Is there some kind of comprehensive guide to the lore of DF?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:54:18 pm by OtaconPliskin »

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 07:13:28 pm »

A "Holy Brilliance" is more of a noble than a king.  He should still give fairly high level quests, and can be a good source of vampires.
What I usually do is work on modding the game.  Nothing too big, I'm not that skilled, but it's always amusing to put in elves that spontaneously combust.  I also try to see how long I can survive by myself.  I can normally take care of the hunger and thirst problems, but necromancers are a bit of a sore spot for me.  Occasionally, I play it the way it's meant to be, doing quests for the good of mankind (I'm not much of a dwarf person, I prefer playing as humans, probably because I don't do much Fort-Mode).

EDIT: Also, try some other mods.  Xangi's is pretty nice.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:01:00 pm by Thecard »

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 08:35:06 pm »

A "Holy Brilliance" is more of a noble than a king.  He should still give fairly high level quests, and can be a good source of vampires.
What I usually do is work on modding the game.  Nothing too big, I'm not that skilled, but it's always amusing to put in elves that spontaneously combust.  I also try to see how long I can survive by myself.  I can normally take care of the hunger and thirst problems, but necromancers are a bit of a sore spot for me.  Occasionally, I play it the way it's meant to be, doing quests for the good of mankind (I'm not much of a dwarf person, I prefer playing as humans, probably because I don't do much Fort-Mode).

EDIT: Also, try some other mods.  Xangi's is pretty nice.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

I ended up murdering the priest and killing everyone in the capital. They were all sleeping, pretty much nobody saw it coming. I returned to my starting town, they were pissed; so I murdered most of them too. >____> Modding is pretty cool, I've yet to try it out though; I feel like Dwarf Fortress is this highly balanced thing; and I'd hate to fuck some minute detail up and ruin the game--but from the general consensus of the forums it seems like modding is a pretty commonplace thing.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 10:39:06 pm »

Well, I dunno about balanced, but there is something special about vanilla.

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 12:23:16 am »

Well, I dunno about balanced, but there is something special about vanilla.

In your words, could you describe what makes it 'special'? I value the opinions of veteran members, and knowing how other people feel about it adds to the entertainment value of the game for me, makes me appreciate it more.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 03:00:56 pm »

Just the way everything is balanced, really.  It's like humans.  It's imperfect, but at the same time, it's amazingly beautiful.  Most games focus on realism, or on being funny, but not DF.  It doesn't care about graphics or self worth.  In vanilla DF you're a peasant.  Even as a demigod, you're basically useless.  You can't really do much, you aren't special.  You're not "The Chosen One," you're not a savior, you're not an all-powerful evil.  You're some little townie who gets it in his head to go kill some monsters.  And once in a blue moon, you succeed.  And it feels good.  Like you earned it.  Because you did.  Vanilla does not give you any favors.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 02:26:15 am »

An interesitng point about retired adventurers that I don't think was mentioned explicitly: You can resume playing as them. They get added to the end of the list on the screen where you pick what civilization and race you're going to play as.

So you can do nice things like park a favorite adventurer in a town, then start a fort in the same world, or a new adventurer, and when you're done with that, go back to playing the first guy.

Side note I'm not sure about, could a retired adventurer die of old age while you're playing Fortress mode?
It wouldn't be too hard to pass a human's average lifespan...

Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 04:20:46 am »

Side note I'm not sure about, could a retired adventurer die of old age while you're playing Fortress mode?
No. Nothing happens to the World while in Fortress Mode.

However, if like, let's say, 50 years pass in your DF mode and you happen to meet him later in adventure, he'll die instantly as soon as the game dedicates a few cycles to him (ie: you get close enough/into his area).

EDIT: This, however, will be fixed soon. Time will pass, NPC's and civs will interact and shit will hit the fan around the world while you play and fool around DF mode.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:22:21 am by Trickman »
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 04:55:16 am »

No. Nothing happens to the World while in Fortress Mode.

However, if like, let's say, 50 years pass in your DF mode and you happen to meet him later in adventure, he'll die instantly as soon as the game dedicates a few cycles to him (ie: you get close enough/into his area).

EDIT: This, however, will be fixed soon. Time will pass, NPC's and civs will interact and shit will hit the fan around the world while you play and fool around DF mode.
well 40d had migrants so you could have roaming people and it happen in real time. It that toady one took that all out.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 09:17:27 am »

Also, if you play as a dwarf, travel to a dwarf site (even though nothing is there) and retire at the spot where a dwarf fortress is supposed to be, you can get your adventurer as an immigrant if you choose the same civilization in fortress mode.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 [2]