Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Retirement/ Saving  (Read 3462 times)

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Retirement/ Saving
« on: August 28, 2012, 08:28:45 pm »

What's the difference between retirement and saving and quitting? I understand that retirement allows me to make further adventurers/play Dwarf mode etc; but what else does this function do? Does it effect your character upon returning to them? Can someone break down retirement for me?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement/ Saving
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 08:36:29 pm »

Retirement lets you start up with another character, that and speeds up time around a month, allowing your adventurer to make trinkets and rest. not only that but retired adventurers will be in the spot you retired them so if you venture over to the area you can see and talk to them.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 09:02:16 pm »

Retirement lets you start up with another character, that and speeds up time around a month, allowing your adventurer to make trinkets and rest. not only that but retired adventurers will be in the spot you retired them so if you venture over to the area you can see and talk to them.

Make trinkets?
Edit: Will vampire adventurers kill people I leave him near/ Is there any chance that my retirees can die?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 09:03:26 pm »

No and no.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:52:13 pm »

No and no.
that last one is a maybe, if you find your retired adventurers they have a chance to be killed during your visit.
"body swapping and YOU!"

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 12:11:59 am »

No and no.
that last one is a maybe, if you find your retired adventurers they have a chance to be killed during your visit.

In the sense that I'd be the one killing them, correct?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 12:17:47 am »

No and no.

any thing that attacks them while you are at the site will prevent you from playing them next time you are done with the recent adventurer. retiring places them down as a npc and save the game.
if the npc dies then you lose the character. be it by your hand or what not.
"body swapping and YOU!"

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 12:21:41 am »

No and no.

any thing that attacks them while you are at the site will prevent you from playing them next time you are done with the recent adventurer. retiring places them down as a npc and save the game.
if the npc dies then you lose the character. be it by your hand or what not.

What else would attack them at the site? Are sieges and the like capable of occuring in adventure?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 12:29:03 am »

well you can have 2 retired adventurers meet up and due to factions would end up attacking each other while you walk into the town.
or random animals roaming in, or you retired a werecreature and he/she turns on the day you arrive and start murdering townsfolk, or more likely scenario you bring in bogiemen and an retired adventurer gets unluckly and was caught outside or with the door open causing the bogiemen to enter the home.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 03:08:14 pm »

Or the always !!FUN!! loyalty cascades that can occur.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 03:24:32 pm »

How does this occur? What happens?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 03:45:36 pm »

Entity A attacks entity B. Both happen to be a part of the same civ.
Entity A is branded an enemy of entity B - A's own civ.
So now everyone who is a part of entity B's civ attacks entity A.
Because entity A is still a part of that civ, everyone who attacked entity A becomes an enemy of the civ too.
And then it becomes a cascade.

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 04:15:12 pm »

Entity A attacks entity B. Both happen to be a part of the same civ.
Entity A is branded an enemy of entity B - A's own civ.
So now everyone who is a part of entity B's civ attacks entity A.
Because entity A is still a part of that civ, everyone who attacked entity A becomes an enemy of the civ too.
And then it becomes a cascade.

How could I arrange for this to happen in adventure mode? inciting riots seems right up my alley.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 04:42:41 pm »

It's... not easy to do.  It can happen through companions, if you play it right.  Usually it's just a random occurrence that screws your op adventurer over.  I did something once, I don't remember what, but I snuck around and talked to civilians, whoever I talked to became an enemy of the state.  But yeah, in my experience, it's not something you plan, you just stumble upon it and run with it.
By the way, do you happen to be new?  It's always fun meeting new players.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 05:17:26 pm »

It's... not easy to do.  It can happen through companions, if you play it right.  Usually it's just a random occurrence that screws your op adventurer over.  I did something once, I don't remember what, but I snuck around and talked to civilians, whoever I talked to became an enemy of the state.  But yeah, in my experience, it's not something you plan, you just stumble upon it and run with it.
By the way, do you happen to be new?  It's always fun meeting new players.

Yeah, I tried playing a few fortresses a longgg long time ago; but I was terrible at it and sort of forgot about Dwarf Fortress. I got back into it and it's all quite overwhelming, but absolutely amazing. The whole idea that this is MY unique world, in which I can do pretty much whatever the hell I want in, and it has its own unique histories and characters etc etc. I was able to sustain a fort pretty fruitfully for awhile, but there is just SO much going on in this game. It's amazing, and what DOES happen I can usually flex my creative writing skills with. So, it's all around amazing. I constantly have the wiki and the forums up while I play, I do appologize for spamming SO many questions. Nice to meet you :D
Right now, I'm mostly messing with adventure mode. Fortress mode is a blast but it's something of a commitment, and I want to mess around a bit before I get serious again with Fortressing, My last fortress fell to a forgotten beast, and with the help of the forums I was able to take it down with a seven group reclaimation squad of what I like to think of as mercenary dwarfs. :P This game is nothing but epic.
Pages: [1] 2