Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31

Author Topic: Rumble in the Necropolis: Semi-Bastard Supernatural - Game Over!  (Read 86193 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Rumble in the Necropolis: Semi-Bastard Supernatural - The Trials have Begun
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2012, 11:17:45 am »

Meph, I have a bit of a qualm
How do we know which sphere to palm?
    Four orbs look the same
    Also alike in frame?
Do we pick our orb with aplomb?

Bookthras thinks me laconic
Unlike you, histrionic
   We need to know the game's trick
   So to Jim don't be a prick
Or when we lose you'll find me sardonic

(PFP: More later.  Takes longer to post in limerick >_>)

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2012, 11:26:33 am »

Bottle:
Why do you want people to spend time guessing at what the scum is on day one when we have nothing to go off of?
Seriously? Why do you not want people to try to find who the scum is on day one? We may have nothing to go off of when the game starts, but the very process of discussion turns up gems like this. Should we not spend time looking for scum? How else do you think people should spend their D1 efforts?
You have eyes, right? You can read, right? Then read carefully, I said what, not who. Big difference. Also, if you read my post, you'll notice:
Yes, but when there's basically nothing to go off of, any time spent towards uselessly guessing at what the scumteam is is time that could be spent actually hunting down the scum and lynching them[/u], which will definitely tell us what we're up against. I'd rather not waste time on that sort of speculation. Why do you want people to spend time guessing at what the scum is on day one when we have nothing to go off of?
Nice try, scum. Book.

Jim:
Because I want to know, durrr.
How very insightful and helpful. If you want to know, why don't you go waste some time figuring it out, so that the rest of us can spend time hunting scum, and we'll meet somewhere in the middle.

Shakerag:: Then...don't post in limerick? This isn't a sorceror's apprentice game.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2012, 11:27:53 am »

See, now that's interesting.  Mr. Bones appears to be a valid vote target- the Meph and Statue votes failed.

Meph:  Can we just throw the skeleton at the orb so no one is touching the skeleton when it impacts?  Is there enough connective tissue remaining so it's largely hanging together, or all the bones separate?

The skeleton will fall apart if picked up. You could throw bones at the Orb, but you have no way of knowing if that would do anything.

The Orbs seem to be the same, and no indication has been given as to which Orb to touch.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2012, 11:45:34 am »

The Orbs seem to be the same, and no indication has been given as to which Orb to touch.
I guess I wasn't clear -_-  I know the Orbs are the same, but do they differ in thier surroundings?  Whatever they're on, markings on the wall, etc.?

Shakerag:: Then...don't post in limerick? This isn't a sorceror's apprentice game.
Well, I saw Bookthras do it at the start of the game ... and I always wanted to post in limerick at least once -_-

Seriously, though.  Recalling Bastard Paranormals 1 and 2, there was nothing really "RP" related that affected the game, but figuring out the bastard part of the game was necessary for winning.  Yes, we need to hunt scum, obviously, but only doing that is why town lost BP1. 

Having said that ... Unless someone has something they want to claim that may be related to the bastardness of this game, I propose that we carry out D1 like normal and see what happens N1 before delving too deeply in bastard-speculation, as we have little to go off of right now. 

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2012, 11:50:12 am »

I guess I wasn't clear -_-  I know the Orbs are the same, but do they differ in thier surroundings?  Whatever they're on, markings on the wall, etc.?

Each of the pillars is slightly different, but there is no indication as to what the difference means.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2012, 02:59:51 pm »

Also, no comment about Tiruin voting a statue?
He asked the statue questions (flavourful, to be answered or not by Meph). Did you ask the skeleton questions? Other than "but whatever" I still don't know what it is you were trying to achieve with your vote.

And what makes you think him asking questions to the statue is going to be any more effective than voting a skeleton?

This is needlessly picky and arbitrary of you, and as Toaster mentioned, you love defending experimentation in bastard games, but not here for some strange reason.

The Vote Tally
Skeleton: Jim Groovester

HA!

Suck it, Bookthras.

I'm not sure what you mean by "friendliness of hostility."  Are you asking if I think there may be roles that are non-hostile this game that are traditionally hostile, a la Bastanormal 2?  If so, I don't expect it to be a major factor, but it's certainly possible.  If there's (for example) a werewolf team, they could perhaps be masons instead of scum.  I'm not expecting much, though.

Whoops, that should've been an 'or.' Friendliness or hostility. But yeah, basically what you answered.

Jim:
How very insightful and helpful. If you want to know, why don't you go waste some time figuring it out, so that the rest of us can spend time hunting scum, and we'll meet somewhere in the middle.

Don't you think figuring out what the scum are might be important in figuring out who the scum are? If the win conditions aren't standard then the scum team might not be playing like you'd expect.

Jim, who would be putting the skeleton's hand on the Orb?

I can't believe that actually worked.

I nominate Bookthras, since he had a problem with it for some reason and is picky about what bastard experimentation he tolerates. Neither of those make sense, so he can put the hand on the orb.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2012, 03:05:45 pm »

Unvote.

If we use an Orb on a Skeleton, we might be wasting it. I guess it isn't the worst idea because we aren't too sure what they do, but it is a free night for the scum.
Someone asked me why I'd pick the Vig over a Doctor/Guardian. I guess it's because I've usually had better luck as a Vigilante than a Guardian.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2012, 03:07:07 pm »

Meph:  On that note, is there anything stopping anyone from just running up and touching an orb of their own accord?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2012, 03:08:44 pm »

I vote Shimmering Skeleton Guy to test the Orbs. If he did it once, he can do it again.
What do you hope to accomplish by this? From a flavour/RP point of view, do you think the long dead skeleton is going to react to your vote, and stand up and touch the thing? How, why and what for? He did it once, and ended up like you see it, would you do it again? Or maybe you have another reason to vote him... what is it? how are you testing the Orbs by voting him? Or flavour aside, do you think the skeleton is scum? Or are you just wasting time?
This is rather unexpected.  In a game where there is any taste of flavor, you're usually the first to jump headfirst into it- and indeed, you did so.  Why are you trying to shut this down, especially early D1 where there is still plenty of time to test things like this?  What is bad about what Jim has done?
It seemed to me his vote of the skeleton was not a sincere attempt to learn anything, but merely to waste time, given he didn't ask questions (to Meph) or stated a purpose or expected it to do anything.

...however, his vote having been reflected was very surprising (especially, as you said, since votes on the statue and Mepth didn't stick), so I withdraw my objection -- it clearly was effective.

What have you interpreted so far from the flavor?
Not sure. There are many clues, but not some structure to piece them together yet. I intend to keep poking at it until something coalesces.

Skeleton: Jim Groovester
Jim, who would be putting the skeleton's hand on the Orb?
Jim: please answer Meph's question. PPE: Heh, I knew you were going to say that. 8-P

Why do you want people to spend time guessing at what the scum is on day one when we have nothing to go off of?
Seriously? Why do you not want people to try to find who the scum is on day one? We may have nothing to go off of when the game starts, but the very process of discussion turns up gems like this. Should we not spend time looking for scum? How else do you think people should spend their D1 efforts?
You have eyes, right? You can read, right? Then read carefully, I said what, not who. Big difference.
Meh. Fair enough. Yeah, I missed the rest of the paragraph, and reacted to the last sentence, which made me do a double-take with how scummy it read. In my defence, it was late. On the other hand...

Oh how very townie of you. "you go play outside while we grown ups go look for scum". This sort of "serious business" facade still reads like scum to me. Your post was after Meph confirmed the skeleton as a vote target. Do you think it was a waste of time?

Bookthras thinks me laconic
Unlike you, histrionic
   We need to know the game's trick
   So to Jim don't be a prick
Or when we lose you'll find me sardonic
Who's this we you're talking about?
Why for the Groovester you pout?
     sardonic, laconic?
     no: chronic demonic!
Embryonic scum tonic, no doubt!
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2012, 03:14:57 pm »

Meph:  On that note, is there anything stopping anyone from just running up and touching an orb of their own accord?

Not that you're aware of, no.
Come play Mafia with us!

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2012, 03:33:50 pm »

Jim:
Jim:

Don't you think figuring out what the scum are might be important in figuring out who the scum are? If the win conditions aren't standard then the scum team might not be playing like you'd expect.
Of course figuring out what the scum is is important; my objection to it is because it's simply not possible to do that at this point.

Book:
Oh how very townie of you. "you go play outside while we grown ups go look for scum". This sort of "serious business" facade still reads like scum to me. Your post was after Meph confirmed the skeleton as a vote target. Do you think it was a waste of time?
Encouraging people to scumhunt and not waste time is scummy? Okay then. I don't see how the skeleton is relevant to the topic at all, but I do think it's a waste of time to lynch some skeleton that's not even a player.
My Sig

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2012, 03:51:56 pm »

Bottle:
Encouraging people to scumhunt and not waste time is scummy? Okay then. I don't see how the skeleton is relevant to the topic at all, but I do think it's a waste of time to lynch some skeleton that's not even a player.

Yeah, encouraging others to scumhunt is all you've done, while managing not to do any yourself. You've disagreed with Jim about which scum to hunt, you voted me for finding your scummy sentence scummy (though it was less so in context, yes), you accused Jim of wasting time though he actually had a game effect from flavour (which is important), and you told Shake not to post limericks. That's all you've done. Where have you ever followed your own advice and scumhunted at all?

And on top of that, you double-down and insist the skeleton thing is not relevant, that voting it is a waste of time because "it's not even a player". Dude! Have you ever played any of Meph's games? Fuck yeah flavour is relevant! Have you ever seen a bastard? Fuck yeah we need to figure out the puzzle, and the orbs are clearly part of it! You're not only not hunting, you are actively telling people not to work out how the setting works. Like you are trying to hide or protect something about it. Do you have any pieces of the puzzle to share? That skeleton there, friend of yours?
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2012, 04:10:06 pm »

Hapah:
IO, Book: Have you been in a Semi-Bastard or Bastard before? How'd you know to investigate the orbs/scenery?
I've been in and watched several Bastards; less sure about semi-bastards. They're usually full of trying to vote the mod, flavor actions, and other such nonsense that wouldn't do anything in a typical game.

Dariush:
Also, what Jim asked. Why is his vote bad and stupid while Tiruin's is much worse (from logic standpoint), yet which you let pass? Survivors can easily lift the corpse and make it touch the orb, which isn't so easy to do with a statue. I'm beginning to notice a particular pattern of... selectiveness on your part in this game. Also, what the hell was up with that orb? Why do you even have it?
Who said anything about survivors?

Org:
Unvote.

If we use an Orb on a Skeleton, we might be wasting it. I guess it isn't the worst idea because we aren't too sure what they do, but it is a free night for the scum.
Someone asked me why I'd pick the Vig over a Doctor/Guardian. I guess it's because I've usually had better luck as a Vigilante than a Guardian.
Well, how do you think the orbs work?

Orangebottle:
Of course figuring out what the scum is is important; my objection to it is because it's simply not possible to do that at this point.
How do you know? When will it be possible to determine this?

How would you feel about messing with the orb?

I nominate Bookthras, since he had a problem with it for some reason and is picky about what bastard experimentation he tolerates. Neither of those make sense, so he can put the hand on the orb.
I could sort of go for this, or especially go for this with Orangebottle. If it's a waste of time it can't hurt, right?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2012, 04:30:17 pm »

I don't know, although I don't think the Skeleton is one of true Majesty.
...unless the Skeleton was the Emperor?

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2012, 04:48:58 pm »

In all honesty, I was about to out of this game right before Meph locked the thread for day start. Replace me.
My Sig

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31