Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 253391 times)

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #195 on: September 25, 2012, 05:29:22 pm »

Or if its too complex, you start getting mechanics that can't fix anything simpler because of the madness warping their sense of scale.

Righto, Aklyon.  But the whole point is for Gaslamp, that if you do put it in, we will definitely use it.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2012, 09:18:39 pm »

yesyesyesyesyesyes

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2012, 02:22:09 am »

Or if its too complex, you start getting mechanics that can't fix anything simpler because of the madness warping their sense of scale.

Righto, Aklyon.  But the whole point is for Gaslamp, that if you do put it in, we will definitely use it.  8)

You meant "abuse", right?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2012, 02:49:03 am »

:-\

Am I the only one here who sorta wants a awesomely themed, fun to play and slick city management game?

Logic gates? Giant automated contraptions? Custom buildings (custom in function, not looks)? Varying complexity levels?

All of this sounds incredibly hard to make into a actual game. It seems likely that trying for this sorta thing will only end in tears as their basics are left lacking (or even worse forced to interact with this layer of complexity) and all this extra shit ends up as gimmicky garbage.

I mean, I am sure the Gaslamp guys know their limits, and are going to avoid all this shit and are going to make a awesome game, but the rest of you guys seem to be working yourself up into a frenzy over stuff that has no way in hell of happening. Stop looking at pie in the sky gimmicky bullshit feature creep that you made up in your heads and start looking at the cool game they are actually offering. At this rate you guys are going to be very upset when this game comes out, even if it turns out totally awesome.

My expectations are currently set at The Settlers: Clockwork town. Which sounds really damn awesome and actually possible.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:52:15 am by Criptfeind »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2012, 02:51:59 am »

Am I the only one here who sorta wants a awesomely themed, fun to play and slick city management game?

Logic gates? Giant automated contraptions? Custom buildings (custom in function, not looks)? Varying complexity levels?

All of this sounds incredibly hard to make into a actual game. It seems likely that trying for this sorta thing will only end in tears as their basics are left lacking (or even worse forced to interact with this layer of complexity) and all this extra shit ends up as gimmicky garbage.

I mean, I am sure the Gaslamp guys know their limits, and are going to avoid all this shit and are going to make a awesome game, but the rest of you guys seem to be working yourself up into a frenzy over stuff that has no way in hell of happening. Stop looking at pie in the sky gimmicky bullshit feature creep that you made up in your heads and start looking at the cool game they are actually offering. At this rate you guys are going to be very upset when this game comes out, even if it turns out totally awesome.
Hell, I do this about every game that comes out. It usually lasts for a week or two, then I scale it down. Wait a while, people will see if it is less than they where expecting, or it will turn out just as awesome.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2012, 02:57:28 pm »

Just a little bump to point out that the devs are making frequent in-depth blog posts.  They're really quite interesting.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2012, 03:01:22 pm »

PTW

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 20, 2012, 03:17:08 pm »

I want to play this game so bad... I think it may just be the best thing ever. Except DF of course.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 20, 2012, 05:44:04 pm »

My expectations are currently set at The Settlers: Clockwork town. Which sounds really damn awesome and actually possible.

You make the assumption that logic gates and giant automated contraptions are not fun. I have spent countless hours in games like dwarf fortress, garrys mod etc building this stuff because it is a hell of a lot of fun.

It doesn't seem very hard to add logic gates in such a way as to have them completely unnecessary, but there for fun. They could be implemented in a way that sort of just ends up functioning as logic gates, like how df's pumps were not designed to be used for this purpose but they can function like logic gates (as opposed to minecraft's redstone, which is designed for the sole purpose of functioning as logic gates).

So what is not considered gimmicky garbage anyway, gaining points and completing arbitrary objectives? Sounds gimmicky to me. I look forward to this game still, but the more complexity the game has the more I am likely to enjoy it. I also want an "awesomely themed, fun to play" city management game, but a fun to play city management game with such things as logic games is only more awesome in my books.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2012, 06:00:11 pm »

It sounds like CriptFiend wants a basic game, with no frills and just enough features to qualify as a game.  He seems to have the impression that anything extra will somehow make the game worse.  This argument is fundamentally flawed - if no frills and no gimmicks are added, then you're left with nothing that makes the game unique.  If you want to play Settlers, go play Settlers.  I'll be holding out for Clockwork Empires as they promise to do something that others have not.

You're here for simple.  Go take your simple.  We're here for giant mechanical cogs and intense logic gates.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 20, 2012, 06:11:16 pm »

I'mma loving it all, myself.  The seperation between working groups, building types, as well as the stories make my mouth water.

Workshops, artisan crafts, and factories; all doing the same thing but with different expectations mean that even a low-resource region can still remain productive, while greater effeciency requires much greater infrastructure and resources.

The fact that all the peoples will be different, with their own likes, dislikes, and wants reminds me of the Sims, which isn't a bad thing, especially when meshed into such a wonderful thing as a city building game with a larger world metagame involved. 

Also, the thrills and logic gates that others keep talking about is going to be fun.  I prefere simple things, myself, but not bland or basic things.  Plus these things will be optional, not nessissary in the large run.  Use 'em if you like 'em, and do not if you don't.  Simple, that.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 21, 2012, 04:37:23 am »

Yeah, I was mainly interested in this because of the setting and the style. But the way industry works is really awesome, it's similar to anno but not as annoyingly simple and fire and forget.

Will be following that damn blog very closely now :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 23, 2012, 03:49:31 pm »

Just a quick note - we're trying to post something game development related on the blog every Tuesday. 

Thanks for the continued interest guys, it means a lot to us.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2012, 04:35:10 pm »

Are there any screenshots from the game?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 105