Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 253467 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2012, 04:33:18 pm »

Nice of you guys to drop in!

As you can tell, we're a bit interested in your game. :)

And I'm sure MANY of us will be happy to help you beta-test it for you when you get to that point!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2012, 04:35:27 pm »

You don't nessesarily have to make a beta purchaseable, but you could make something like how planetside 2 is right now for testing out all different kinds of hardwares that you might be missing.

Like a laptop with an i3 and plenty of ram but intel hd graphics. ;)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2012, 04:39:54 pm »

You do make a good point.  You can tone down graphics, you can go so low as to make it roguelike graphics and save a lot of power that way.  But simulation strength is something that you cannot really tone down without giving up core gameplay.  On that note though, would it have the option to play DF style of low FPS?  That is, people with slower computers could play the exact same game, but on a lower speed, so that instead of 10 minutes to a day it might take 30 minutes.  I've played other games (Children of the Nile for instance) where if you go into "fast" speed mode, it actually changes the gameplay, and villagers move relatively slower.  This can cause certain jobs to become impossible because they're too far away on fast mode.  DF has done a magnificent job of scaling speed.  Fast speed and slow speed is the exact same game, it just depends on how the user views the passage of time.

Could Clockwork Empire have a similar option to just hobble the speed but keep the same simulation depth?  Could this be modded?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2012, 04:58:23 pm »

I'm liking where this is going.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2012, 05:02:07 pm »

Amazing. Just when I'd given up all hope of a sandbox steampunk DF style colony sim with Lovecraftian undertones, along comes one from a good indie studio. I wonder if it'll be possible to build a madness detector that attracts the dangerously insane and drops them in magma...

Today has been a good day.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2012, 05:07:09 pm »

Well, any good Victorian society is going to have Asylums for the crazy people.

You can pump magma where you want it to go.

I think this is pretty doable. Although you may lose some doctors and nurses in the process.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2012, 05:08:10 pm »

When "urchin" is more politically correct than "orphan" then the potential for cult-centric tentacle madness is at an all-time high.  Although I suspect it will be difficult, if not impossible to run an entirely cult-based civilization.  You'll have to have a foundation of sane fodder, producing food and luxury items to ship to the madmen and keep them alive and functional.  At that point it becomes a challenge of balancing the normal people vs the productive people, and trying to keep them on the edge of sanity so that they can be considered technically insane and productive, but yet sane enough that they stay alive and don't simply create a giant bomb.  A harrowing tight-rope walk of debauchery awaits!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2012, 05:09:55 pm »

pump magma
Nonono, magma is well known here to be successful and proven, this is a time for SCIENCE! We shall pump LIQUID ELECTRICITY!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2012, 05:10:15 pm »

Now I want to write my old book idea for a victorian steampunk magical horror story.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2012, 05:10:28 pm »

Thank you for the reply and welcome to the forums it's so nice to be able to interact with developers ! :) enjoy your stay in the madness called bay12

I look forward to cultivating my mad scientists :D

Also I'm very very excited for this game, I know it's veryyyyyy early but when you did plan on doing beta testing how would you go about letting people into the beta would be sign up like normal ?.

And a bit of clarification on the interview it said that characters would lose limbs (?) so does this mean characters have working body's as per say like dwarf fortress where limbs will be lost and diseases can be obtained.

Which also leads onto how in depth will each character be ? Will they be a very thin just there to work character and just another unit, or are you going for dwarf fortress where each character has likes dislikes relationships with other characters and is its own individual ? ( sorry if it has been said on the interview just wondering for a bit more clarification )

Thank you for your time daniel :)
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2012, 05:12:52 pm »

Question...  You guys know about the Girl Genius Comic?

EDIT: Fixed da code
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:15:08 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2012, 05:13:53 pm »

Your code is brokes.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2012, 05:25:00 pm »

Thanks for popping over Daniel, it's always great to see developers so willing to reach out to gamers.

That said, I'm probably about to make you regret doing so with a massive list of questions.  Sorry about that :-\

Feel free to ignore any questions you can't or don't want to answer at this point.

1. How many colonists are we able/expected to have at any one time?
2. How difficult will it be to obtain new colonists?
3. The PC Gamer interview mentioned marriage, which implies all sorts of cool things.  Is there any chance of hearing the patter of tiny feet and/or screams of tiny mouths?
4. Are resources finite or infinite?
5. That procedural extruding feature sounds pretty awesome.  Will we able to save/load and/or export buildings?
6. Which single feature excites you personally the most?
7. How large are the playable areas?  Is it likely or very unlikely that it could be mostly developed/terraformed.
8. What non-combat options (if any) will there be for interacting with native sentients?
9. I can has now plz?
10. What won't be moddable?
11. Can we dig/mine/build hills?
12. Can buildings have multiple storeys/basements?
13. Say I was to divert a river for some reason.  Could this have a negative effect on local flora/fauna?
14. Will there be robots?
15. What sort of needs/desires will colonists have?
16. Can I pickle (or otherwise experiment on) living/dead creatures?
17. HP or limb based damage?
18. Do individual colonists have their own currency or is it a case of DF style Communism?
19. Are those pictures concept art or in engine?
20. What can you tell us about megaprojects?

I'm gonna stop typing for a bit before I scare you off :P
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:47:47 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2012, 05:28:47 pm »

Ohh I am interested as well in the question on pickling dead body's, can we experiment in icing and dead biology ? Zombies anyone ? :p
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2012, 05:42:16 pm »

Oooh, the ability to export buildings to share with other people would be cool.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 105