Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 253438 times)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2012, 05:56:35 pm »

Expect to be disappointed.  Sorry.

This is extremely ambitious.  Enormously so.  Especially for a project which isn't showing off alpha code to the interviewer, yet is targeting a late 2013 launch.

Double especially if Gaslamp continues to release Dredmor DLC.

There's only so many hours in a day, only so many coders that can work on a project before Brooks' Law kicks in and you actually get negative progress.

Just saying.  Sorry about the downer, but keep your expectations in the lower atmosphere.

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2012, 06:05:51 pm »

Never read Girl Genius Comic, but it looks awesome =)

For beta testing, we try to grab a cross section of people, but enthusiasm really helps as betas have a tendency of blowing up horribly and being frustrating.

Being realistic, it's unlikely that we will model a unit down to proper anatomy, at least with our current project plan.  This is part of the feature triage where we have to pick the most important things to work on, otherwise CE could balloon into a project that's just to big for our time scale.  Some simplifications to obtain the same effect but without that systems investment are possible, but I can't say for sure yet.

Regarding character depth: each character will generate relationships with other characters, with possessions, with locations, with groups of enemies or specific enemies, and so forth.  These systems of associations are incredibly important to developing rich interactions between the citizens.  We are spending a lot of brain power on this system.

Sorry guys, I think that's all the time I have today.  Thanks for your interest!

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2012, 06:06:54 pm »

Wow, that's a lot of questions!  Uh, maybe I can get one of the other guys in here to help, I need to do some work!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2012, 06:11:08 pm »

Girl Genius is full of awesome. And also crazypeople Sparks, with large contraptions afoot and death rays being more practical than rings.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2012, 06:15:35 pm »

@A5D

A but pessimistic there, but its to early to tell anywhich way, and being overly joyfull about the game is a good posative reinforcement for developers, telling them this is the right way to go, dont be such a downer :P ( I say this in the lightest of tones )

I like to be optimistic with new games :P
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2012, 06:21:25 pm »

practicality? pffft. I want a barely-functional doomsday device that requires constant maintenance to keep it from exploding.

largely because the explosion would be awesome.

I assume it'll be built next to the aristocrat mansions?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2012, 06:23:26 pm »

practicality? pffft. I want a barely-functional doomsday device that requires constant maintenance to keep it from exploding.

largely because the explosion would be awesome.

I assume it'll be built next to the aristocrat mansions?
No, it'll be in the middle of town.
...next to the aristocratically squashed mansions. Too many nobles not enough space for the rest of the town to revolve around :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2012, 06:24:57 pm »

Oh fine, sure, just this once =P  A lot of this is totally unanswerable.  I'm only answering the ones that I feel we can at this point, and then i'm getting back to work!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2012, 06:36:08 pm »

For later, when you aren't getting big lists of questions Daniel:
Will it be possible to have a colony full of naked (except for supposed 'safety' gear and goggles, etc) scientists? They'd have more time for science if they weren't spending a good amount of time assembling their victorian garmentry and poofy dresses in the female scientists' case, if there are any of the latter.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:40:03 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2012, 06:41:46 pm »

Oh fine, sure, just this once =P  A lot of this is totally unanswerable.  I'm only answering the ones that I feel we can at this point, and then i'm getting back to work!

Above and beyond the call... Thanks for the insight, Daniel  :D

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2012, 06:43:00 pm »

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time for this :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2012, 06:44:06 pm »

To be discussed.  There are a lot of knife fights ongoing in the office about this.

I recommend a short sword and buckler for this sort of thing. Maneuverable enough in close quarters while giving you the advantage in both reach and defense. :P
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2012, 07:15:35 pm »

Lol. Nice.  I personally think the Mega-Projects should be something of a mish-match of building parts that all do different things.  Say you need to place a large Electricity plant in the center of a complex of other buildings that are all enterconnected.  Each of them do different things, and the order and style that you set them up in end up acheiving different 'goals' for the project upon completion.    That way there doesn't need to be a large selection of tall/massive buildings that each do their own thing, and instead offers more freedom given the creativity that's already going into factories and the like in-game.   8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2012, 08:04:44 pm »

Ooo! I have a few questions. Can you tell us more about combat?:

1. Will it strictly be HP combat, or will you add status effects? (Such as being on fire)

2. Will HP tend to be lower or higher. IE, will someone die to a few musket rounds or be able to take a barrage from a firing squad?
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2012, 08:57:55 pm »

I don't know whether you like to listen to dumb spur-of-the-moment suggestions on random forums, but consider this:

It would be cool if megaprojects, once completed, mostly served to make your game more difficult- Either because they keep consuming massive resources, curious townspeople have a habit of falling off the towers, they attract more raiders or maybe best of all, they increase the chance of random events/disasters/wrath of god.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 105