Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tantrum Training  (Read 3560 times)

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Tantrum Training
« on: August 26, 2012, 11:44:09 am »

I just got the best Idea ever, why dont we throw a tantruming swordsdwarf into a pit of puppies for leveling up their fighting skills

So I did the science, and 3 puppies laters he got a Dabbling Swordsdwarf skill
Is this a good way to use a dogsplosion.

If you want to try it just dump your spare puppies into a pit with a barely alive tantruming dwarf!
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: Tantrum Training
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 01:02:50 pm »

"Dabbling" skill shows up after the first use of a skill. Example: if a dwarf with no prior cooking experience renders one stack of fat, he will then be a Dabbling Cook.

Tantruming dwarves with training weapons might have some merit, though. Just drop in food and water and let them have at it until they take enough joy in slaughter to be happy again.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:07:47 pm »

I just got the best Idea ever, why dont we throw a tantruming swordsdwarf into a pit of puppies for leveling up their fighting skills

Unfortunately I don't think puppies, or dogs for that matter, are able to learn skills by default.

...oh.

Well, I suppose it might give the dwarf a little experience, but bearing in mind that dwarves generally tantrum when they're unhappy, and can subsequently go berserk as one of the possible outcomes of severe unhappiness, the skill gains might only become significant when they move up to training on your civilian population.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:55:11 pm »

I wonder if you could train a legendary thrower this way.

Think of the possibilities.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 03:48:18 pm »

It Works!
I unleashed my army of puppy blooded Proficient SwordsDwarfs on a group of goblins and they ripped them apart limb from limb...
ZE IDEA WORKED
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 04:18:37 pm »

A potential would be to shut the dorfs in with your dog/catsplosion inside a 1x2 room with an armor stand in one square to make it a barracks.  After enough time of being stuffed into a closet, the animals will start fighting.  With any luck, they will attack your soldier and he will gain dodge/armor skills.  This is purely theoretical as I have not done any !!SCIENCE!! related to this idea.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 04:24:44 pm »

Hope you don't expect the dwarf to hold out too long, they seem to snap pretty easily after a couple tanatrums. Then again, berserker vampires :D

A danger room would be safer than piling up insane corpses.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 04:39:27 pm »

Hope you don't expect the dwarf to hold out too long, they seem to snap pretty easily after a couple tanatrums. Then again, berserker vampires :D

A danger room would be safer than piling up insane corpses.

Danger rooms would cause more deaths due the the civie that goes walking into it

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 04:45:36 pm »

The main thing here is that you're goint to have to have some method of pushing their buttons. Yoiu need to be able to make them unhappy at a moments whim, then strip that unhappiness from them. Relatives are good for aking the unhappy, but perhaps something else more easily rectifiable.

How about this:
1. Add no uniform and set it to replace clothes.
2. Station dwarf in room of animals.
3. Tantrum and kill the animals.
4. Take dwarf out of squad to give him clohes and reset happiness meter.
5. Repeat.
6. Unleash on Goblin armies.

To sum up, naked army dwarf killing puppies.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 06:47:54 pm »

Now then, what kind of attacks do most tantruming dorflings usually use? Punching, biting and throwing important floodgates. (Unless they were armed before unleashing their dwarven inner self.)
So, a few tantrums and dozens of puppies later, what kind of a fighter will you end up with?
Behold! A skilled biter, competent thrower and expert striker!

..It will lead to interesting combat log events.

Urist McGrumpy bites Snodub on the left eyelid with his right front tooth, tearing the muscle and bruising the skin.
Urist McGrumpy latches on.
Urist McGrumpy hits Snodub with xxTrollfur Loinclothxx on the head, bruising the skin and jamming the skull throught the brain.
Urist McGrumpy shakes Snodub in the air.

..I want one of those
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 06:56:37 pm »

You could train a squad of sock throwers to shatter the goblin's skulls
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 07:36:26 pm »

A potential would be to shut the dorfs in with your dog/catsplosion inside a 1x2 room with an armor stand in one square to make it a barracks.  After enough time of being stuffed into a closet, the animals will start fighting.  With any luck, they will attack your soldier and he will gain dodge/armor skills.  This is purely theoretical as I have not done any !!SCIENCE!! related to this idea.

This was the basis for girlinhat's dwarven childcare I believe, except with dwarven kids and turkeys (with the goal of getting combat experience and stat gains before adulthood).  I believe her testing demonstrated that it was possible to do, if a bit impractical, and the kids tended to go insane or lose limbs before they got to any appreciable skill level.

It would probably work better for adults, triply so if they are properly armored.  You could still probably expect one or two to get pecked in the brain by a turkey through their steel helmet though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 07:46:59 pm »

This was the basis for girlinhat's dwarven childcare I believe, except with dwarven kids and turkeys (with the goal of getting combat experience and stat gains before adulthood).  I believe her testing demonstrated that it was possible to do, if a bit impractical, and the kids tended to go insane or lose limbs before they got to any appreciable skill level.

It would probably work better for adults, triply so if they are properly armored.  You could still probably expect one or two to get pecked in the brain by a turkey through their steel helmet though.
The room size also needs to be increased if it is ment for extended periods of time so the dorflings can sleep and eat without getting interrupted and thus keeping then alive and relatively sane (what ever that is for dwarves) for much longer.

Also, consider building a mist generator above the training room to give the subjects a little extra happiness. Oh, and while they are in there, perhaps the training room could be also used to train some tolerance for sunlight. A "few" stacks of vomit on the floor would make the room much more dwarven.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 07:51:04 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 06:02:51 am »

The main thing here is that you're goint to have to have some method of pushing their buttons. Yoiu need to be able to make them unhappy at a moments whim, then strip that unhappiness from them. Relatives are good for aking the unhappy, but perhaps something else more easily rectifiable.

How about this:
1. Add no uniform and set it to replace clothes.
2. Station dwarf in room of animals.
3. Tantrum and kill the animals.
4. Take dwarf out of squad to give him clohes and reset happiness meter.
5. Repeat.
6. Unleash on Goblin armies.

To sum up, naked army dwarf killing puppies.

You need small animals so your dwarf wont die as easy compared to full grown creatures, also, I am stealing your list

The room size also needs to be increased if it is ment for extended periods of time so the dorflings can sleep and eat without getting interrupted and thus keeping then alive and relatively sane (what ever that is for dwarves) for much longer.

Also, consider building a mist generator above the training room to give the subjects a little extra happiness. Oh, and while they are in there, perhaps the training room could be also used to train some tolerance for sunlight. A "few" stacks of vomit on the floor would make the room much more dwarven.
The point is to cause tantrums, some food, bed, legendary statue and mist should do it just fine

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 06:27:58 am »

So, basically, above-ground fighting pits filled to the brim with puppies and one incredibly pissy, naked dorf each?

> Armok and many others like this.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: [1] 2