Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, open for business again  (Read 25109 times)

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
Re: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, looking for overseers
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2012, 12:07:22 am »

They have cave dragons. Armok save us.
Too bad Kamin, the Martyr-Hero of Hauntedhalls is no longer with you!  :P

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2012, 12:10:51 am »

Yes, he could have served as a mighty sacrifice hero to the fort.  :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2012, 12:13:14 am »

Cheeky Welshman... Get on with the updates! I wanna see the Epic of the Fall of Hauntedhalls! Hahaha, but seriously, this is great. I look forward to the next installment.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2012, 12:18:02 am »

Cheeky Welshman... Get on with the updates! I wanna see the Epic of the Fall of Hauntedhalls! Hahaha, but seriously, this is great. I look forward to the next installment.

I admire your enthusiasm, however I feel that I may have screwed up here, the cave dragons broke down the doors, and rampaged through the fort, After a few minutes We've gone from 103 dwarves to one injured mayor.  :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the goblins haven't gone, there are around 80 of them sprinkled through the fortress, but they don't seem to care about hunting the mayor down, they've just left him wounded in the hallway.

Our front gate, complete with goblins chilling on a mixture of jabberers, voracious cave crawlers, and cave dragons.

Journal of Udil Ilromudil, Mayor of Hauntedhalls

9th Sandstone, 203AF
*The words appear to have been written in dwarven blood, on a torn piece of fabric*
The goblins... They came... We locked the doors, but they had dragons, and broke their way in. So many have died... I am all that's left. And I feel that I am not long for this world. But I grieve, not for my own doom, but for the fate of all these dwarves around me. Cursed to rot in the dirt for all time, My own beloved wife among them... I am glad now that my two children and younger brother chose to remain behind when we came here. Nothing but misery and blood occupies these halls.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:32:19 am by Spinning Welshman »
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2012, 12:26:14 am »

I admire your enthusiasm, however I feel that I may have screwed up here, the cave dragons broke down the doors, and rampaged through the fort, After a few minutes We've gone from 103 dwarves to one injured mayor.  :P

And the goblins haven't gone, there are around 80 of them sprinkled through the fortress, but they don't seem to care about hunting the mayor down, they've just left him wounded in the hallway.

Our front gate, complete with goblins chilling on a mixture of jabberers, voracious cave crawlers, and cave dragons.
But you guys would never savescum, right?!  :o

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2012, 12:34:42 am »

But you guys would never savescum, right?!  :o
Oops, badly timed edit, I made a small update but you replied first.  :P Well, a reclaim would be hazardous with all the goblins, I know it's a little out of my league.  :P

EDIT: "your strength has been broken." I suppose what we do now is up to terra, we can try a reclaim, but it'll be tough. there are around 80 goblins, about half of them on fairly dangerous mounts, including a giant toad that systematically went through the noble's quaters and broke all the glass statues.  :P
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:37:00 am by Spinning Welshman »

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2012, 12:46:03 am »

Oops, badly timed edit, I made a small update but you replied first.  :P Well, a reclaim would be hazardous with all the goblins, I know it's a little out of my league.  :P

EDIT: "your strength has been broken." I suppose what we do now is up to terra, we can try a reclaim, but it'll be tough. there are around 80 goblins, about half of them on fairly dangerous mounts, including a giant toad that systematically went through the noble's quaters and broke all the glass statues.  :P
Actually, if you reclaimed it and the goblins were still there, they wouldn't be hostile. I forget what thread I read that in, but I believe they either disperse, or they're friends. The only problem is that when goblins from the same civ come to besiege you, the pre-existing gobs turn evil and attack. However, if they're from a DIFFERENT goblin civ... They're allies.  :D

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2012, 12:54:36 am »

Actually, if you reclaimed it and the goblins were still there, they wouldn't be hostile. I forget what thread I read that in, but I believe they either disperse, or they're friends. The only problem is that when goblins from the same civ come to besiege you, the pre-existing gobs turn evil and attack. However, if they're from a DIFFERENT goblin civ... They're allies.  :D

Ahh yes. However you only ever get one goblin civ invading your fort iirc. So, if someone was to attempt a reclaim, they'd have to find a way of bumping off the goblins without causing a fuss.  :P

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2012, 08:33:14 am »

Hm. If we have any chance to be successful, I'd say let's go back to the 203 save and try again. At that point it's less work than reclaiming.  :-\
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2012, 11:04:28 am »

We could also go the "Sequel" route and embark another fort right next to Hauntedhalls.  Eventually we'll get a good run, making some elaborate crypts, working magma, and the like...  Or we'll have a string of failures long enough to cover an entire embark tile in dead forts.  That would be a rather fitting monument to the inevitable piles of dead too.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2012, 11:56:17 am »

We could also go the "Sequel" route and embark another fort right next to Hauntedhalls.  Eventually we'll get a good run, making some elaborate crypts, working magma, and the like...  Or we'll have a string of failures long enough to cover an entire embark tile in dead forts.  That would be a rather fitting monument to the inevitable piles of dead too.

Sounds good to me. :-\
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2012, 01:26:05 pm »

Well it's up to you Terra.  :) I'm willing to re-do my year, but if you guys want to do the sequel route that could work too.  :)

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2012, 02:18:49 pm »

If we did a sequel, would we start with Pufferfish as the Overseer?

It doesn't matter to me whether we roll back to 203 or sequel it.  As long as I get a turn, I'm happy.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2012, 05:31:51 pm »

Well it's up to you Terra.  :) I'm willing to re-do my year, but if you guys want to do the sequel route that could work too.  :)

Alright. :( I feel bad for doing this Benevolent Dictator thing, but I suggest we move back to the 203 save, iff you think you can survive the gobbos one way or another.

~HPL~

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2012, 05:57:31 pm »

Alright. :( I feel bad for doing this Benevolent Dictator thing, but I suggest we move back to the 203 save, iff you think you can survive the gobbos one way or another.

Yeah I'll give it a go.  :) It was really just a result of oversight on my part really, I hadn't noticed that most of the peasant rooms weren't set up yet, so everyone tantrumed really easily.  :P And I can set up a more sturdy defence without too much trouble.

Into the time machine we go!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14