Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Giant Cave Spider found in Oregon!  (Read 5048 times)

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant Cave Spider found in Oregon!
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:16:57 am »

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-08/look-terrifying-goldenrod-cave-spider-discovered-oregon#comment-143845

natch.

so I just wake up to check my webcomics and blogs when i pop over to PopSci.com to check out the "sciency" headlines. this one got me a good chuckle!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Giant Cave Spider found in Oregon!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:21:22 am »

I think in DF vocabulary that is a 'normal' cave spider. Still very cool discovery.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:25:25 am »

Just to add to the 'holy crap' quotient, it has raptor as part of it's name. Even with a picture provided, I can't help but think of a velociraptor-spider hybrid.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 10:09:35 am »

Tiny lil' guy aint she? £:

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 10:14:53 am »

As a total science nerd though, it's pretty awesome that this isn't just a new species, or a new genus, but a whole new family.  I can imagine the biologists describing it saying, "It's definitely a spider, but uh, that's about all we can say yet."
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 11:09:07 am »

Also consider the fact that it was found in Oregon, in the US. I like to believe we're fairly heavily populated, and the fact that something so specially new and exotic was found here really gets me going.

But yeah, totally just a normal lil' cave spider. The article says it's no bigger than a half-dollar  :P

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Bunch a bloody traitors.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 12:25:37 am »

Quote from: ghost

08/21/12 at 9:15 am

this post reminds me of dwarf fortress and their fun Giant Cave Spiders!

to mars or bust!

Wait a minute, which of you guys was this? And why has news of the martian program spread?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 02:12:06 am »

Also consider the fact that it was found in Oregon, in the US. I like to believe we're fairly heavily populated

Yeah, the U.S. is pretty densely populated compared to some countries, but the northwest especially is mostly wilderness, especially in the high mountains. Lots and lots of wilderness, that almost nobody has seen in at least a very long time, and plenty aside that likely nobody ever will see from under 15,000 feet, because who cares enough to stick their ass out to go up that valley? Or that other one? The hanging valley with the moose staring at you from on-high? Don't want anything to do with that guy.
The population is mostly concentrated in the lowlands and along the coasts.

I think one of my family tried showing me this article earlier. I said "nope!" and left. Never liked spiders. The creepy long-limbed ones are just aweful.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:14:10 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 05:17:08 am »

Let's go find the TRUE Giant Cave Spider! Later find cave crocs, hydras and Circus!
Interesting, how many things aren't discovered.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 08:20:58 am »

Hmm, the article in the OP has a pic with a scale marker labeled '20 mm', but the same photo on the Wikipedia article has the scale marker at '4 mm'. So the article exaggerates by 5 times.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 09:37:35 am »

Hmm, the article in the OP has a pic with a scale marker labeled '20 mm', but the same photo on the Wikipedia article has the scale marker at '4 mm'. So the article exaggerates by 5 times.

The article's scale marker probably says 2.0 mm.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 12:59:25 pm »

Also consider the fact that it was found in Oregon, in the US. I like to believe we're fairly heavily populated, and the fact that something so specially new and exotic was found here really gets me going.

But yeah, totally just a normal lil' cave spider. The article says it's no bigger than a half-dollar  :P

Apparently you do know most of the US.  Oregon's density is about 40 people per square mile, however 2.26 out of 3.8 million people live in the portland area (145 sq miles) which gives the rest of the state a density closer to: 16 people per square mile.  Klamath Falls (city closest to where the spiders were found) has a massive population of 20,000.  And yes, it is the biggest city in the area (you have to drive at least 100 miles to find anything much bigger - I spent some college time there). 

All that said, is suspect the local population knew about the spider - or had at least seen them.  They just didn't realize it was anything special.  I mean, how many types of spiders can you identify?  For me it is:
Black Widow, Wolf, Daddy Long Legs, Tarantula (all kinds are the same to me), and "AAAAHHHHHhhhh there is a spider climbing down my neck!!!!! GET IT OFF!!!!! GET IT OFF!!!!"

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 01:02:35 pm »

The article's scale marker probably says 2.0 mm.
I wish this was a discussion of meters, not millimeters.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 04:03:08 pm »

I wish this was a discussion of meters, not millimeters.

Yeah. As it stands, I'd barely call this thing a spider. How are the Oregonians supposed to farm silk from these?
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 08:58:56 pm »

It is a very strange and special spider, with some features that suggest it’s a relative of the goblin spider, but with a litany of other features that make it evolutionarily unique. It’s so different that the guy above represents a new genus, species and family on the tree of life.
Come on!! seriously guys which of you wrote the article? :P
Pages: [1] 2