Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. A FPS Medieval combat game  (Read 12565 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. A FPS Medieval combat game
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 05:57:24 pm »

This impression from the Beta is making me interested.

I love action games with good melee combat.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 06:09:03 pm »

Yeah it has been released today, downloading as I type this. Only 43% more to go can't wait :D

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 01:59:23 am »

Went ahead and got it.

First impression is good in some ways. I haven't played enough to really get a feel for it, but it's fun, and there's plenty of opportunities for a good laugh. It's very high action, and pretty dang intense. It is in no wise a realistic medieval combat simulator, but the most ridiculous thing you'll see is fully armored men jumping around. You and others can die quickly and brutally, and a little caution can get you very far. There is something incredibly fun about the first person perspective in a melee. It runs like a dream on my two-year-old PC at max settings, too, and looks great while doing it.

On the down sides, weapon selection is rather pathetic, and there's not much to do as far as customization goes. I mean, the weapons are really, really pathetic. You unlock new weapons that are worse than the first tier ones, both in description and stats. It's mind boggling. Being outnumbered in any way is a death sentence, which is fine for realism's sake, but it can get pretty disheartening when teams get stacked. There is no auto balance, and you can even join the side that has significantly more people on it.

The level selection is extremely limited, too. They all have the staged mission system that I love, and all of the missions make sense (Sort of), but there's only so much enjoyment you can get over playing the same four maps over and over again, as detailed and lovingly crafted as they are.

There's also a lot of wonky physics. Arrows seem to crawl whenever you shoot them, and it's impossible to hit anyone who has half a mind to avoid them. They also have an incredibly ridiculous arc. You'll be getting stuck on scenery if you're not fighting in an open space, and sometimes movement keys don't work in combination during certain actions (You can't strafe and move backwards while using a bow, for instance). Both of these can get you killed very frequently.

In actual combat, an enormous amount of skill is required to defend yourself. You actually have to aim at the incoming weapon while blocking, and while it's slightly forgiving, it's not always. You can parry huge weapons with daggers, though. It's pretty fun going out and defeating heavily armored guys with nothing but a knife and some skill.

Speaking of skill, it seems that everyone else in the game forgoes it in favor of mashing the primary attack button. You'll notice, because it's the attack that swings in a wide arc, and you'll probably be lucky enough to be decapitated by the attack as you're standing next to him trying to help. The other two attacks are pretty weird, since you use the mouse wheel, but it's annoying the tenth time a friendly kills you just because he was just berserking. And, on the subject, there's absolutely no penalty for TK'ing that I can see, so don't be surprised to see griefers running around killing teammates.

I'll have to wait and see, but so far it doesn't look like I'll be getting my money's worth out of it. I've got three hours in and I'm already kind of tired of it. It's novel, sure, but it doesn't feel like a strong, long lasting game to me. Again, this is just a first impression, but I can typically play games for hours on end before I get tired. When I've only played three and talking about the game sounds more fun than playing it, it sets off a few warning bells. I think a lot of what will make this game great is whether or not the devs keep on adding stuff to it.

So: Fun for a while, gorgeous graphics, questionable replayability, poor progression scheme, and wonky physics. My first impression advice? Wait for a good sale. It feels like a lot of money was invested in it, but gameplay and enjoyability wise, it doesn't feel worth $25. $10 would be a fairer price point, but that may change as more things are added/I get a better look at the game.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 07:49:33 am »

I played it and it is pretty fun. I was playing mainly as man at arms, the graphics are great and bloody, the sound effects are epic and the combat system is as good if not better than Age of Chivalrys.
I didn't notice any bugs so far and since it was my day off I have been able to put a lot of hours today into the game.
The game is very skill based so a simple man at arms with a mace or sword can beat any heavy knight if you are good enough.
I did not get bored of it at any point and would say that the money I payed for it was well spent.

EDIT: Although I have to say, on objective type maps I have not seen the attacking side (with or without me on it) win a lot, so that might be something that needs some tweaking.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:53:56 am by bluephoenix »

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 08:51:30 am »

I saw this on Steam and thought of Mount & Blade, just without the sandbox play and the, well, playing as a woman and kicking everyone's butts... it's interesting how more "skill" based games are cropping up now.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 08:57:10 am »

I was looking into this since War of the Roses did not come close to scratching my Mount and Blade multiplayer itch. From what I've seen of the current footage the game still seems little bit jerky in places. I've decided to wait until release and decide on the final product.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 05:07:15 pm »

I was looking into this since War of the Roses did not come close to scratching my Mount and Blade multiplayer itch. From what I've seen of the current footage the game still seems little bit jerky in places. I've decided to wait until release and decide on the final product.
The game has been released yesterday.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 05:13:11 pm »

I'm looking forward to trying this tonight.  :)  I can't wait to beat up some archers!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:14:44 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 05:37:07 pm »

I'm going to do the same thing here with what I did with WotR, comment without actually having played the game (though I have played the mod for HL2).
Also you should look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Q7FETIxZw&feature=g-all-u

From to looks of it Chivalry has more interesting combat, even if it isn't quite like M&B. It doesn't have to be like M&B though to be good, it just has to work well. It seems Chivalry's combat seems to work much weller than WotR. The stamina system means that you cannot simply spam attacks and feints repeatedly to win like in M&B and WotR and it's based more on timing. Plus Chiv has a blocking system based a little on timing and actually looking at the weapon before it strike you, meaning players can be crafty and do things such as crouching or strafing to get around your block.

WotR appears to have done ranged combat well enough, but I don't feel ranged combat should be the main focus of a melee combat game, more of a 'support class' so they seem to function well enough. Chiv seems to have throwing weapons for most of the classes too, so if you feel you need to you can swap a weapon out for some range. From the looks of it archers can move pretty quickly even with a bow drawn, which is kinda a let down for me.

In WotR it seems the only real option is to wear full plate and use a 2 handed sword and lolstab people in the face repeatedly, as shown here:
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)

If you like customization though, WotR beats both M&B and Chiv in pretty much every aspect. Just remember to be wearing plate =p

I might pick up Chivalry soon, looks pretty good. I am picking Chivalry up after I edit this.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:49:20 pm by OzyTheSage »

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 09:40:19 pm »

The humor in this game is hit and miss for me, but the Mason knight's war-cries are priceless. Whoever voice acted them has a real talent in screaming in my opinion.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 12:02:05 am »

The humor in this game is hit and miss for me, but the Mason knight's war-cries are priceless. Whoever voice acted them has a real talent in screaming in my opinion.
I haven't really noticed much humor. The war cries in general are pretty well done, everyone sceaming while charging at the enemy is pretty epic.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 12:18:29 am »

Okay, now that I have actually tried the game, I can say that it's really good. It's different from M&B so it's going to take a while for me to adapt, but there are some things that don't seem to be in that should really be simple. Right click to cancel attack, for example. Many times I've tried to right click to cancel an attack and avoid teamhitting but nope, for some reason that's an entirely separate key. You can probably use macros to get around it but that's a pain in the ass.

I've only tried the vanguard so far but the combat's good, and that's what counts.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 07:29:00 am »

Okay, now that I have actually tried the game, I can say that it's really good. It's different from M&B so it's going to take a while for me to adapt, but there are some things that don't seem to be in that should really be simple. Right click to cancel attack, for example. Many times I've tried to right click to cancel an attack and avoid teamhitting but nope, for some reason that's an entirely separate key. You can probably use macros to get around it but that's a pain in the ass.

I've only tried the vanguard so far but the combat's good, and that's what counts.
I think the default key for stopping an attack is Q, I changed all the controls so don't quote me on that.
Team damage is easy to prevent once you get used to everything but most the time it is something we will have to live with  :P

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 08:06:43 am »

You're right, the default's Q. The best way to avoid hitting teammates is to use the scroll wheel attacks, since you'll either be thrusting or doing an overhead chop. I love playing the light classes and pulling a dagger to get a quick stab in during a fight. I get a lot of kills that way.

I played in a 64 person server yesterday. It was epic, and even had a dev on. My team made an awesome comeback with a shield wall on the arena map.

I really wish there were a single player mode you could practice in, though. It's hard to consistently learn to block and such when you're having to deal with several enemies at once.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 08:10:34 am »

I heard you can run a server and turn bots on. That's about as close as you can get to single-player.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5