Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Post your Failafacts here!  (Read 5378 times)

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Post your Failafacts here!
« on: August 18, 2012, 11:22:46 pm »

So basically post all your fail artifacts here, I got a wooden floodgate adorned with bone

/Facepalm
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Failafacts here!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 11:57:08 pm »

I just had a dwarf with Weaponsmithing fall into a mood, so I dfhacked the materials to adamantine, thinking an addy sword or spear would be nice...

Came out as a warhammer.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 12:03:06 am »

Give it to your hammerer so his victims will surive

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 12:18:04 am »

Any perfect cut gems.
Once got a raw adamantine earring.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Bhargo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 01:10:14 am »

Artifact floodgate with adorned with platinum and diamonds, and a stone table with wool spikes.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 01:13:23 am »

I got an artifact lead Sword before. Q_Q.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 01:15:24 am »

A rope reed fiber sock adorned with spikes of cat bone. I don't recall the name.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 02:26:31 am »

I really don't understand why people would consider any flavor of artifact floodgate a fail.  Its an indestructible door (that can be held open with a dead butterfly, I admit) that can be placed anywhere, even places a normal door cannot.

I'm not sure about the sock ...

Does a turtle shell buckler adorned with spikes of turtle shell count as a fail? Its worth a whopping 3,600 Urists according to my broker ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 02:28:08 am »

No, because only quality matters for a shield, not material.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 03:47:07 am »

But as far as I know Shields dont even need any material to be usefull...a Wooden Shield can hold Dragonfire indefinitely.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 03:59:05 am »

I really don't understand why people would consider any flavor of artifact floodgate a fail.  Its an indestructible door (that can be held open with a dead butterfly, I admit) that can be placed anywhere, even places a normal door cannot.
I was about to say more or less the same.  The only fail there is failure to recognize the value of what they've got.

No, because only quality matters for a shield, not material.
Well, material influences weight, and weight influences movement speed and shield bash attacks.  So an abnormally light shield fails if you want your soldiers to hit as hard as possible even with stupid fail attacks, and an abnormally heavy shield fails if you prize mobility.  But for basic defensive purposes, you're right.  Artifact shields are awesome.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 04:09:18 am »

i've yet to get a good one, the most useful i've had was an artifact armor stand which stood pretty in a noble room.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 08:35:39 am »

Any and all results of woodcrafting moods.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 08:58:41 am »

A lead boot adorned with none of the things.

Fun fact: The guy wearing it died via drowning.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 10:51:16 am »

My current fort has generated 23 artifacts:
Perfect Gem (1)
lace agate

Clothing/Equipment: (5)
shirt (pig tail fiber), vest (pig tail fiber), tunic (cave spider silk), glove (cave spider silk), quiver (giant gray langur leather)

Crafts: (9)
bracelet (alder wood), scepter (dolomite), amulet (cacao wood), bracelet (dolomite), mug (siltstone), earring (cow bone), trumpet (giant gray langur bone), earring (tetrahedrite), earring (tunnel tube wood)

=== So, about 15 "failures" in items of somewhat limited utility unless you have a noble wear them.

Devices (1)
mechanism (dolomite)

Furniture: (6)
armor stand (copper), door (green glass), statue (adamantine), armor stand (bauxite), bed (bauxite), box (green glass)

=== These seven are useful for generating room value and giving passersby something to get a happy thought looking at.  The door and statue in particular have been placed in very high traffic areas.  The armor stands have been used in the duke's quarters and a heavily used barracks.

Weapons/Armor (1)
spear (adamantine)

=== And the million dwarfbuck item that a Spearlord will carry at some point.  An axe might be better, but at least it's not a hammer.

A lot of items got a decent value due to grabbing gems for decoration - I have bauxite deposits and thus a fair number of rubies and sapphires have been dug out.  These keep getting grabbed as decorations.  I also note a lot of decorations featuring an artifact raw adamantine ring -- this was made at a previous fort of this same civilization.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart
Pages: [1] 2 3 4