Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - Card Game  (Read 10868 times)

Hoggypare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress - Card Game
« on: August 18, 2012, 04:28:44 pm »

Hey there guys! :)
I'm Hoggypare nad even though it is like my first post, I've been around playing Dwarf Fortress for more than 4-5 years by now. I've got and I am still getting plenty hours of enjoyment from it, and recently I thought I probably should do something in return, for community and as a tribute to authors. So I wanted to make a card game based of Dwarf Fortress. I know this came up sometime ago, but as I am aware, haven't been executed, and I think I may have an interesting and original concept that you hopefully enjoy.

Here are my main aims:
- Create an interesting card game that isn't just trying to mimick some other popular ones, but tries to keep the DF style and feel.
- Make it both for DF vets and also accessible to newcomers.
- Maintain the specific but rather essential (at least for me) DF's sense of humour.

So after this short introduction I'd like to present you with my concept. Bear in mind it is a very early stage, so there will be no exact information and everything may change.
The game will feature two decks, for each side - the dwarves trying to establish a proper settlement and every misfortune that can happen to them, trying to make their efforts futile - as the other one.
I really want to abandon traditional defence/attack system, because in actual DF not only the goblins can kill you. We shouldn't forget always FUN stuff like droughts, resource shortages, cave-ins, tantrums, magma, flooding and many, many more. That is why I intend to create a special resource system which will contain things like food, goods, luxuries, minerals etc.

How would it work? Let's say we have something like underground farm fields that provide 2 food resources on the field. Then we may play a card that require food eg. miner who require 1 food but provide us with 2 mineral resources which we may use to use a forge card that needs 2 minerals but produces 2 goods and 1 luxuries. The resources are just for sustaining other cards on field so you won't be counting them or anything, but some surplus might prove useful, because you may need it for some action cards or you never know what your opponent plans against you. The 'evil' side will have different system, although it is too early for me to announce it.

'Evil' side will obviously win if they manage to cause enough mayhem (there will be 'catsplosion' card) to totally disrupt the functioning of the fortress. Dwarves will win if the evil side runs out of cards or they create artifacts with enough awesomeness points, to make them live happilly and prosperous ever after... that means they lose some other time, because as one of the prime things I want by all means keep losing fun. :)

So here you go some raw but probably enjoyable ideas - if you have questions do ask.

And one more thing. You might think "yeah, yeah but bother us when you actually have the game for us to play", but I am writing this because I need some help. I have my own experiences with the game, but surely you also provide me with even more awesome ideas. Tell me about some really fun encounters, artifacts (I want to hear about some adamantium engraved oaken training spear ;)) and all that kind of stuff. The more inspiration - the better.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress - Card Game
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 04:46:36 pm »

The dwarves side should have an FPS resource, which they must spend on anything they do. Stuff like waterfalls should cost a lot of FPS. When they reach an unplayable FPS, the dwarves lose.

Hoggypare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 05:11:13 pm »

The dwarves side should have an FPS resource, which they must spend on anything they do. Stuff like waterfalls should cost a lot of FPS. When they reach an unplayable FPS, the dwarves lose.
While the whole idea is fun and interesting it doesn't really fit in to the competitive aspect of the game, I think the 'evil' player will have enough tools to make dwarven lives harder, so they don't need another problems to be dealing with. What is more FPS problem isn't what I would call a core feature, nor the most memorable thing, so I think I'll skip that with maybe a few little exceptions.
But thanks for feedback - it is really appreciated :)

mcsafety

• Bay Watcher
  • ;p
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:52:50 pm »

you should have Diamond, Adamantium, gold and, Mithril instead of Spades, Clubs Diamonds , Hearts
name: magmammal
type:  Fire/kangaroo
evoles into Magkingbird (and gets wings and beak, with flying type and a crown )
pokedox: Magmammal was just a kangaroo until one day he ate coal, and it was so hot he got hot and he wanders the land burning his footsteps.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 07:06:42 pm »

you should have Diamond, Adamantium, gold and, Mithril instead of Spades, Clubs Diamonds , Hearts

If he was doing it like that, I would probably think of it as Adamantine, Steel, Rock, and Wood.  However, the op seems to wish to do something different.

@Hoggypare
The win conditions could be (in addition to the run out of cards) the creation of enough wealth, or the conquering HFS (or anything else that the forum considers "beating the game").

I believe that there should be some cards that allow you to defend yourself against the attacks of the "evil" side (ex. military, quick repair, water/magma reservoir, etc).  In fact, it would probably be better to change the "evil" side to "events", so as to include successes and caravans.

Just a few thoughts.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Hoggypare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 06:44:39 am »

@Hoggypare
The win conditions could be (in addition to the run out of cards) the creation of enough wealth, or the conquering HFS (or anything else that the forum considers "beating the game").

I believe that there should be some cards that allow you to defend yourself against the attacks of the "evil" side (ex. military, quick repair, water/magma reservoir, etc).  In fact, it would probably be better to change the "evil" side to "events", so as to include successes and caravans.

Just a few thoughts.

I was thinking about something quite similar regarding only artifacts and special structures, but wealth is a very nice idea. Although just some cards should give that, because we don't want to be counting to 100, 150 etc.

Military will be included. I just said I don't want to stick to 'only' military side. There will be a nice strategic factor, because having military will demand resources usually not giving any. So you want better defences, and die to starvation, or have farms and die to goblins?
'Evil' sides is much like events, although I don't agree it should be random (as events), nor include positive ones. There aren't many positive ones in DF though. And if it would be random you could draw 'break the gates of hell' in the second turn. Not ideal. I want a mind behind the actions of the 'evil' side, and I want a competition between 2 players.
I hope you see my point and thank you for feedback

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 09:15:55 am »

What about having the cards played out on the map as an actual playing field. Then for example, you could have a minecart card that increases the production of all neighbouring cards, etc. You could even have that the top layer of cards is the surface, and as you move down you can pass the cavern levels and such, with some cards being only playable on some levels. For additionall fun you might also restrict the players from placing any card next to another played card.
[]= possible card position

[][][][][][]Surface
[][][][][][]Soil
[][][][][][]Soil
[][][][][][]Stone
[][][][][][]Stone
[][][][][][]caverns
[][][][][][]caverns
[][][][][][] HFS

The opponents cards can be effects(like droughts), but also negative cards that must be placed on the battlefield. (Examples would be Aquifer, which can be placed in soil levels and prevents cards being placed next to it. Or Catsplosion which would, for example be placed on another card and block it's effect.) Other cards would play tokens on the battlefield.( Like, for example, Goblin invasion, which would start on the surface, slowly spreading their way down and blocking all cards they reach.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 12:12:44 pm »

Well remember guys that in Dwarf Fortress the only use treasure is for, is trading for more treasure, and for attracting new dwarves.

Anyhow if there are two victory conditions I guess they would have to be: Attracting the King or yeah beating the HFS layer (which automatically gives you the king)

Where the danger is that this isn't a game you can last forever. As opposition keeps increasing.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 01:21:43 pm »

Warning!  Wall of text!

What about having the cards played out on the map as an actual playing field. Then for example, you could have a minecart card that increases the production of all neighbouring cards, etc. You could even have that the top layer of cards is the surface, and as you move down you can pass the cavern levels and such, with some cards being only playable on some levels. For additionall fun you might also restrict the players from placing any card next to another played card.

[][][][][][]Surface
[][][][][][]Soil
[][][][][][]Soil
[][][][][][]Stone
[][][][][][]Stone
[][][][][][]caverns
[][][][][][]caverns
[][][][][][] HFS

The opponents cards can be effects(like droughts), but also negative cards that must be placed on the battlefield. (Examples would be Aquifer, which can be placed in soil levels and prevents cards being placed next to it. Or Catsplosion which would, for example be placed on another card and block it's effect.) Other cards would play tokens on the battlefield.( Like, for example, Goblin invasion, which would start on the surface, slowly spreading their way down and blocking all cards they reach.)

That sounds like a good idea, but I would instead think of it as
Code: [Select]
[][][][][][]Sky
[][][][][][]Surface
[][][][][][]Soil
[][][][][][]Stone
[][][][][][]1st Cavern
[][][][][][]Stone
[][][][][][]2nd Cavern
[][][][][][]Stone
[][][][][][]3rd Cavern
[][][][][][]Magma
[][][][][][] HFS

With it like this, you could add requirements to cards, such as GCS's can only arrive in cavern layer 3, and any magma related cards cannot be used until you reach the magma layer, etc.  If there is an 'embark' mechanic added, then some things could be changed, and new layers could be added, ex. an ice layer in a glacial embark.

Well remember guys that in Dwarf Fortress the only use treasure is for, is trading for more treasure, and for attracting new dwarves.

Anyhow if there are two victory conditions I guess they would have to be: Attracting the King or yeah beating the HFS layer (which automatically gives you the king)

Where the danger is that this isn't a game you can last forever. As opposition keeps increasing.

Well, don't forget this is a card game, and it should be hard, but not too hard, to attract more players.

There could be a dwarves resource, which needs to be used to be able to play a card.  In conjunction to this, there could be a "turn timer" that divides the seasons into three turns, and at the third section, you get more dwarves and a caravan (if past first 'year,' exception being the fall caravan.  Winter will have no caravan, unless you use a "modded" copy.).

Why would you want a card game to last forever?
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Hoggypare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 01:39:29 pm »

[][][][][][]Surface
[][][][][][]Soil
[][][][][][]Soil
[][][][][][]Stone
[][][][][][]Stone
[][][][][][]caverns
[][][][][][]caverns
[][][][][][] HFS

This is actually a very creative idea. There is just one 'but'. It doesn't fit well to my concept and I would have to change most of the cards I planned, so I'd rather stick to mine. However I was thinking about making it matter where the cards are actually placed. Like invaders cards can only destroy cards that aren't 'inside', blocked by others. That would add an element of fortress design, although make the game less mobile and would need more space I guess.

As for the second thing. Totally yes! There will be cards that are permanent as well as one-time events. But there will be also means to remove them. Examples - 'evil' player plays a card 'No-flux' which have a negative effect that doesn't allow you to play any card with a 'steel' trait. But the card will also have a way how you can remove it from play - in this case by playing 'dwarven caravan' card or something along those lines. Or a card 'catsplosion' can be removed if you have a 'butchery' card in play  ;D

Thank you for your input  :)

The opposition will keep increasing don't worry. But we want to determine a winner somehow so the winning conditions for dwarves would be either to endure every attack that 'evil' player has (make him run out of cards eventually) or make enough artifacts and wonders. But a king is a neat idea. Probably acquiring him won't make you win instantly but he would give a lot of points towards winning.
Thanks for advice :)

There could be a dwarves resource, which needs to be used to be able to play a card.  In conjunction to this, there could be a "turn timer" that divides the seasons into three turns, and at the third section, you get more dwarves and a caravan (if past first 'year,' exception being the fall caravan.  Winter will have no caravan, unless you use a "modded" copy.).
You know what? Season timer is an awesome idea! I will surely incorporate that, it solves many mechanic problems I had. Thanks a lot! :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:51:23 pm by Hoggypare »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 02:11:03 pm »

You know what? Season timer is an awesome idea! I will surely incorporate that, it solves many mechanic problems I had. Thanks a lot! :)

You're welcome.  And yes, the 10ebbor10's battlefield design (6x8) along with my modification (6x11 but is more realistic!) would take up alot of space, but still doesn't take up as much space as some games do!  Your choice though.  Just don't forget to be flexible.

By the way, what do you think about mods being expansions, and the idea of a glacial embark (only relevant if you change your mind upon the battlefield design.)?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 02:21:31 pm »

Why would you want a card game to last forever?

What I meant was that it wasn't a game you could take your time in. You cannot waste turns building up until the HFS is easy.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 02:28:55 pm »

You're welcome.  And yes, the 10ebbor10's battlefield design (6x8) along with my modification (6x11 but is more realistic!) would take up alot of space, but still doesn't take up as much space as some games do!  Your choice though.  Just don't forget to be flexible.

By the way, what do you think about mods being expansions, and the idea of a glacial embark (only relevant if you change your mind upon the battlefield design.)?

It only depends on how large you make the cars. Mine was just a draft btw. You could implement the layers idea into your game by adding a staircase, or other sort of building, that expands the fortress downward. Then for example, you can't build X, be targetted by X untill you have played X staircases. (Probably need a marker card that keeps track of how far down you are.)

Or you could do what Toady did.

The Third Dimension: Free DLC (Ie additionall card pack)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 02:32:38 pm »

I figure one of the major limits with going deeper is that it is dangerous.

Maybe every turn there are event cards with layers written on them. If you breached that layer the event affects you.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 02:35:55 pm »

It only depends on how large you make the cars. Mine was just a draft btw. You could implement the layers idea into your game by adding a staircase, or other sort of building, that expands the fortress downward. Then for example, you can't build X, be targetted by X untill you have played X staircases. (Probably need a marker card that keeps track of how far down you are.)

Or you could do what Toady did.

The Third Dimension: Free DLC (Ie additionall card pack)

This makes me think of making the card game digital.

I figure one of the major limits with going deeper is that it is dangerous.

Maybe every turn there are event cards with layers written on them. If you breached that layer the event affects you.

Layers could be set up like this modification I made to 10ebbor10's field:
Code: [Select]
[][][][][][]Sky
[][][][][][]Surface
[][][][][][]Soil
[][][][][][]Stone
[][][][][][]1st Cavern
[][][][][][]Stone
[][][][][][]2nd Cavern
[][][][][][]Stone
[][][][][][]3rd Cavern
[][][][][][]Magma
[][][][][][]HFS
Pages: [1] 2 3 4