Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Balanced trade goods?  (Read 6638 times)

donald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Balanced trade goods?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 11:53:37 pm »

I suggest occupied animal cages. You could think of your dwarves as a sort of zoo merchants, trapping and supplying the world with exotic pets, like fluffy wamblers, unicorns, or er...trolls. Or if you're of a particularly evil bent, fill them with your own dwarves (*cough* children and babies *cough*) and be a slave trader. I don't know if the game will let you sell a dwarf cage though tbh.

I'm not sure what value creatures have specifically, so you might have to use a little imagination as part of the challenge. Though high value metal cages will likely fetch enough credit to make it possible.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 12:24:10 am »

Right now I'm running a goblet factory. I buy all the metal from the caravans, forge it into goblets, and encrust the goblets with gems. I started doing this after the dwarven caravan left in the winter; it is now mid-spring and I have about 100k dbs in goblets... though about 30k of that is the decorations on a single gold piece.

On the subject of imbalance: I usually can buy everything I want off a dwarven or human caravan using only stuff I take from slaughtered elven caravans. Then again, I don't care much for trading in the first place so "everything I want" is a short list.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 04:08:25 am »

After buying out a caravan with wax crafts, I've come to the conclusion that there is no one specific particular "broken" export industry in DF.

If you are looking for a challenge then I second the suggestion for soap. Another good challenge is to export only raw materials (wood, stone, plants, thread, gems, ore, glass, etc).
Oh wax crafts!
they have a low value as wood crafts, but require much more work to produce than everything. Sounds more 'balanced' than soap.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 05:06:53 am »

I personally balance the trade in the other side. I buy out all the metal crafts, weapons, armors, trap components, bolts and arrows and all other tools, and melt them down, no matter how many gems on them.
You know a masterwork silver ball worth over 10k. So I can sell it for two or three poorly crafted ones, and reforge them into superior or masterwork. I'm just a craftsman.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 11:04:59 am »

After buying out the umpteenth caravan with stacks of roasts, I'm thinking of switching over to trade goods that are bit more balanced.  I still like the idea of trading food, but for my next game I'll stick to non-perishable base ingredients like syrup, flour, and rock nut oil. There's no right way to play DF, so this isn't about dissing anyone else's game preferences.  I'm just wondering if others self-balance the trading aspect of the game in similar ways.
I'm selling them stuff that they would plausibly use and would seek trade for. So, I sell Humans some iron weapons or metal toys/flasks, like what happens in LOTR with the Hobbits. There's also.... "unique" items, such as dimple dye, dwarven syrup, dwarven sugar and of course, alcohol. Then the whole dwarven craftmenship, as I put in my other post, I'm starting up a wooden trade industry,so I earmarked some wooden caskets and cabinets for sale. But otherwise, definitely stone masonry... even slabs/blocks, since the mason workshop pump those out like crazy. But again, dimple dye bags can be amazingly profitable since the cloth bag itself is expensive. I been meaning to try dwarven syrup with metal  barrels or glass encrusted barrels, but I haven't got that off as a trade good reliably yet.

The Elves get as their special items glass and cloth crafts. Just pure cloth crafts. I mean, they have their rope reed, we have our pigtails, so, pig tail amulets. Its.... amazing when one consider that a few bin worth of cloth amulets, properly dyed can effectively buy you all the food and beasts and other raw mats you might want from an Elven caravan,well, outside of gnomeblight that is.. In a previous fort prior to FPS, I sold them iron weaponery/armour, but that was because my civ was under the subjugation of the Elves and I was RPing. 

As mentioned in going green, I'm earmarking a wooden industry for the dwarves. The dwarves are always my sell spoils to, so all those silver daggers and troll fur gets dumped on them, along with worn dwarven clothes. Unless a siege happens, which forced me to dump it on the elves:D. So, wooden caskets for the vamps, wooden cabinets and doors and of course, lots and lots of wheelbarrows/minecarts.  Its never enough to afford the stuff I want from the dwarves though, so, I essentially conduct entrepot trade. I get cloth from the elves/humies, and I make a fashion capital for the Dwarves, less wellspun rope reed fibre, but excellently dyed with fort dyes and of course, silks and etc. Clothes and cloth craft, if dyed, are amazingly profitable. Otherwise, I sell them alcohol or more importantly, aboveground alcohol roasts:D

I'm way too niggardly to sell them the piles of copper bolts/leggings/statues I made to train my metalsmiths.....Metals are my precious! That and gems!

P.S Wood doesn't rot if its not exposed to moisture, so, caverns in mountains might preserve wood pretty well depending on the climate. So, it does make sense for them.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 11:10:30 am by PainRack »

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 11:12:14 am »

After buying out a caravan with wax crafts, I've come to the conclusion that there is no one specific particular "broken" export industry in DF.

If you are looking for a challenge then I second the suggestion for soap. Another good challenge is to export only raw materials (wood, stone, plants, thread, gems, ore, glass, etc).
How...On...God green earth did you buy out a caravan with wax crafts? Teach me oh enlightened one!

Also, soap lost a lot of its challenges, what with poultry and oil.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 11:47:45 am »

After scrounging to get what I need for the first few years (mostly fuel for the forges), I've hit magma and am now selling the merchants just what they want.

The humans really like spears, so they're getting masterwork iron spears.
The dwarves have had some trouble with ambushers lately, so I've got an orchestra worth of masterwork iron instruments I can't sell, and a big pile of masterwork steel gauntlets I can't sell either.
Next year I'll probably be left with a big pile of masterwork steel armor, but I'm training a fourth soldier to help guard the caravan better.

I'm not sure what the elves want, but they don't bring anything useful, so they get dirty socks.

In the end, everybody leaves ecstatic with the trading, assuming that they survive the goblins.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 12:54:52 pm »

Pig-tail / Rope reed cloth crafts. Stacks and stacks of the stuff. Unlimited and comes with the bonus clothing industry.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 05:28:20 pm »

Pig-tail / Rope reed cloth crafts. Stacks and stacks of the stuff. Unlimited and comes with the bonus clothing industry.

You don't even need cloth crafts. Just decorate everything with pig tail cloth. Your old or excess clothes will be decorated, and then just give the bins full of masterwork tattered loincloths masterfully decorated with masterful pig tail cloth.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 07:37:16 pm »

How...On...God green earth did you buy out a caravan with wax crafts? Teach me oh enlightened one!

Migrant High Master Wax Crafter, then his friends decorate with gems, bone, metal studs, etc.
Also the fortress in question was an attempt to survive on mead (no plant crops for alcohol) so the wax was a byproduct of that industry.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 07:39:20 pm »

Oh wax crafts!
they have a low value as wood crafts, but require much more work to produce than everything. Sounds more 'balanced' than soap.
Soap requires resources useful in other areas (wood and animals or seeds, ultimately, which are used for carpentry/woodcrafting/fuel/fertiliser/etc and defense/milk/wool/breeding/etc or making more plants, respectively), and a good amount of work, AND has a low, fixed value. Wax crafts can have higher values, higher still if decorated, AND are little more than byproducts of your mead industry.

You don't even need cloth crafts. Just decorate everything with pig tail cloth. Your old or excess clothes will be decorated, and then just give the bins full of masterwork tattered loincloths masterfully decorated with masterful pig tail cloth.
This. Neat, no?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 01:10:26 am »

This whole conversation is making me nostalgic for one of my favorite community forts ever. Wish it hadn't petered out.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 07:46:04 am »

My problem is that I don't need much from the caravans. I wish there was more to trade for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 07:53:04 am »

I like buying metals and stuff off of caravans. It helps me to have all of the metals available, just in case a mood strikes a dwarf and he needs lay pewter, now!
I also buy alcohol and food, but that's because my brewers go on break or something too much and I'm paranoid about my food stocks.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 01:48:39 pm »

My problem is that I don't need much from the caravans. I wish there was more to trade for.

Pretty much this.

If I could convince a caravan to bring only metal bars and nothing else, I'd be all over that. Fill up every wagon with only metal bars. I'll buy the whole thing out every year. I'll build vast industries so I can afford that much metal.

Problem is that by default, a caravan brings a whole lot of useless items, and the diplomat keeps wanting to chat it up which becomes an annoyance.

After I've got the full line of promotions for my noble I just turn off caravans entirely.
Pages: 1 [2] 3