Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Balanced trade goods?  (Read 6636 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Balanced trade goods?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 04:14:32 pm »

Don't forget, they carvans are selling what they consider tourist crap to you in exchange for what you consider tourist crap.  If you are getting something you consider useful, so are they (as they pawn it off to whoever it is on their next stop, after all).  Thats why I don't consider it unbalanced.

Now, once prices start to vary based on supply and demand things will get interesting.  Supplied too many solid gold, gem encrusted doors to all the caravans?  Gold door prices will probably tank.  Never sold a sock in the life of the fort?  You might actually get a good price for them. :D  And no, I have no idea how long until that gets implemented, but Toady has all but outright said it will get there eventually (based on my recollection of updates).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 05:00:11 pm »

You can melt metal crap down, so buy steel crafts and anvils!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2012, 05:09:23 pm »

I see the merchants as rubbish collectors, my main mission is to get them to leave the map with more items than they came with, so I sell them the lowest value items I have so I can trade up 10 for 1 at least maybe even giving them a decent margin too.  I also try to buy things that I will consume so that all the best quality items in the fort are home made.
I never seem to run out of total rubbish to sell them in exchange for 1 almost useful thing. And its a lot less hauling from the depot afterwards than to the depot before trading.

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 06:34:39 pm »

Here's another broken trade good: Dwar-vian bottled minecarted water. A stack of 833 water is worth 833 dwarfbucks. Magma should be worth the same, but you probably need nether-cap carts if you don't want to use up your iron.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 07:03:52 pm »

Stonecrafts, stonecrafts everywhere. i've never sold roasts since most of my forts tend to buy out entire caravans with a liberal supply of mugs and assorted crafts.

That said, minecarts and wheelbarrows should make good money.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2012, 10:55:10 pm »

Ok, I'm not sure if it's just my civ, but the humans pay double for silver bolts, which is my main export... A stack of 25 masterwork, normally 3000 will sell to humans for 6000

I also find gems are a good export. If you get lucky enough to get large gems of masterwork quality, they sell for a good few bucks. The low quality gems (under 100) I use for training my encruster, the gems worth about 100 I sell of, and generally have a ton of them... Only the highest quality gets used for encrusting only the highest quality furniture. Low quality gems in large quantities (after encrusting gets to legendary) are good to get the basics
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 07:01:06 pm »

I like buying metals and stuff off of caravans. It helps me to have all of the metals available, just in case a mood strikes a dwarf and he needs lay pewter, now!

You should be careful with this.  Currently, when dwarves "mood" they will only mood for items available at the time when the mood strikes.  If you only have 1 of something and they need 2 or 3, you could be in trouble.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 08:09:15 pm »

I like the wax and cloth crafts idea... My legendary clothier (given the custom job of Bagmaker) and planters are kind of sitting on their hands lately ever since I got everybody outfitted in bone and leather armor and have something like 12,000 prepared meals... CLOTH CRAFTS FOR EVERYONE! I don't even give a shit what I get in return, I'll hurl pig tail amulets at your head until you go away!

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 09:16:43 pm »

I like buying metals and stuff off of caravans. It helps me to have all of the metals available, just in case a mood strikes a dwarf and he needs lay pewter, now!

You should be careful with this.  Currently, when dwarves "mood" they will only mood for items available at the time when the mood strikes.  If you only have 1 of something and they need 2 or 3, you could be in trouble.

Since when did moody dwarves demand things in stock?  I have had them demand cloth that I did no have any of and metals that they should not know exist (ie slade)

On the subject of trade stuff I am sure someone has already mentioned it, but you can mod the values of things and I am fairly sure it does not require a regen.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 10:42:53 pm »

You can melt metal crap down, so buy steel crafts and anvils!
Anvils aren't that bad a buy. Even though they're high-value items, they return a nice chunk of steel, and they never come above base quality or with decorations.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 10:45:18 pm »

I've modded in Doom Bees, which have lethal stings but give wax and honey 4x more valuable than normal bees. It makes wax working pretty great.
My wooden badge was delicious.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2012, 11:02:27 pm »

The materials don't have to be "in stock", but they do have to exist somewhere on the map.  Demands can be further down the reaction chain (such as wanting cut gems, as long as you have some raw gems, or wanting metal bars if you have metal ore available).

Strange moods are simply a lot easier in 34.11 then they were in 31.25.  The dwarves are far less picky about what type of material they want.

(DFHack "showmood" is enlightening.)
Pages: 1 2 [3]