Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72813 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Annihilation: Titans: Now with better things?
« Reply #555 on: August 18, 2015, 01:33:57 pm »

So Titans has been both announced and released on the same day, today. Kickstarter backers have been given it for free.

Reviews seem to put it as more of a good but not quite what it needed patch than the expandalone it is. Features include Titans (giant units), some terrain improvements, and a tutorial that isn't a useless video.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 18, 2015, 04:16:01 pm »

So instead of actually finishing the game that they were selling, they left it broken and unfinished and released a new $40 "standalone expansion" instead?

Well, my opinion was already at "dead to me," and it can't go any lower than that.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 18, 2015, 04:40:22 pm »

So instead of actually finishing the game that they were selling, they left it broken and unfinished and released a new $40 "standalone expansion" instead?

Well, my opinion was already at "dead to me," and it can't go any lower than that.

It's what all the big boy companies are doing.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 18, 2015, 04:43:04 pm »

Yeah 100% this. I actually enjoyed PA for a little while, but it was absolutely incomplete and they've now firmly lost me.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #559 on: August 18, 2015, 04:49:29 pm »

The titans are underwhelming to say the least...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 18, 2015, 05:05:21 pm »

Its 66% off for non-KS owners, but no ones particularly impressed by that, to say the least.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 18, 2015, 05:45:42 pm »

I understand kidsb these days say "smh" in response to situations like this.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 18, 2015, 11:28:34 pm »

Surely there must be an emoji for that.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 19, 2015, 02:21:49 am »

Somewhere between  ::) and  :-\ I guess

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 19, 2015, 08:03:13 am »

didnt they had another game in the making that got canceled about giant god units or something ... i guess that is where the titans concept came from?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 19, 2015, 08:12:27 am »

didnt they had another game in the making that got canceled about giant god units or something ... i guess that is where the titans concept came from?
nope. The titans are experimentals-tier expensive and work about as similarly. Except you only have one faction of them, where SupCom had 3 sets.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 19, 2015, 08:55:30 am »

That's mostly what's put me off buying Planetary Annihilation. I like a strategy game to have variety between different factions/races.

Supreme Commander has races with different focuses for weaponry. UEF has ballistic shells, Aeon has slow, powerful energy and Cybran have fast firing, weak beams. From what I know of Planetary Annihilation it only has the one faction with aesthetic differences for commanders.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 19, 2015, 11:09:11 am »

That's mostly what's put me off buying Planetary Annihilation. I like a strategy game to have variety between different factions/races.

Supreme Commander has races with different focuses for weaponry. UEF has ballistic shells, Aeon has slow, powerful energy and Cybran have fast firing, weak beams. From what I know of Planetary Annihilation it only has the one faction with aesthetic differences for commanders.
And the Seraphim have an ubernuke and some hybrid units in FA.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 19, 2015, 03:45:08 pm »

Well I'm pissed.  I watched a youtube video of the titans and thought 'THIS SHIT IS AWESOME, then I saw that PA was updating on steam, then proceeded to learn that they want THIRTEEN EXTRA BUCKS for these units.  I literally payed less than that for the original game.  This is the original plus actually cool titan units.  So they are essentially saying fuck your purchase buy the game again if you want this new content, you should have waited.

There are literally mods with comparable amounts of content.  This would be extremely good for a mod I admit but what the hell.  The game isn't even finished (game can barely get over 8 players most of the time) and here they are charging me thirteen bucks for something that would make their half assed unfinished game awesome, and if I don't buy it within a month they want FORTY bucks.  For a glorified unit pack.

The thing is, if they had charged a lower amount for this, I would have bought it.  And I would have thought their company is awesome.  But charging more than what I paid for the original for this?  Now I just want to wait and watch them until they die, then pick this up when its abandonware in five or ten years.

e: various edits, gist of the post remains the same
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 03:48:11 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 19, 2015, 03:49:44 pm »

I totally agree with Quake.  Charging $40 because it's stand alone is just garbage.  This is the exact same shit that ED is doing (though Ed is gouging even harder).

If they had done a $10 dlc/expansion, I would be fine with it.  They could have made 4+ of them and made more from piecemeal sales, because they would actually be making sales.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40