Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72766 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Annihilation: Titans: Now with better things?
« Reply #570 on: August 19, 2015, 03:51:53 pm »

I'd still be thoroughly unhappy. I really, really don't think that any company should be releasing any expansions whilst their game is still completely broken/they haven't done what they promised in the kickstarter.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 19, 2015, 03:58:16 pm »

I'd still be thoroughly unhappy. I really, really don't think that any company should be releasing any expansions whilst their game is still completely broken/they haven't done what they promised in the kickstarter.
...Are they still missing something from the kickstarter though? From what I can tell of this list it sounds pretty covered, but I have not paid the most attention to it.

And while I like what I've played of my free titans addon, its an expansion and uber should've stopped at that. Expandalone it aint.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:00:42 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #572 on: August 19, 2015, 04:18:26 pm »

Its literally just a unit pack. And not even a very impressive one. The titans have less visual appeal than some of the stuff from SupCom. They didn't even try to make them feel like big stompy robots.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 19, 2015, 04:27:45 pm »

Surely there must be an emoji for that.
Somewhere between  ::) and  :-\ I guess
I think it's somewhere between and

seriously how dumb and unresponsive you have to be to sell what's essentially a patch for MORE than the base game itself?

(oh god they've literally sold a patch; god I hate it when my predictions come true)
._.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 19, 2015, 04:47:14 pm »

...Are they still missing something from the kickstarter though? From what I can tell of this list it sounds pretty covered, but I have not paid the most attention to it.

And while I like what I've played of my free titans addon, its an expansion and uber should've stopped at that. Expandalone it aint.

"Here's all the stuff that was supposed to be in the original release at some point in time. ... That'll be 40 bucks. Oh, you paid 90 for the first incomplete release? HAHAHAHAHA. I guess we'll only charge you 13."

Oh boy, I just love when I'm offered a smaller stick to shove up my ass instead of a big one. I think I'll pass on any sticks.

Kiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 19, 2015, 04:49:17 pm »

I figured i'd show you guys this. At least Uber might see it and respond and try to convince us that they aren't horrible devs? Who knows.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Dread Pirate

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 19, 2015, 04:59:35 pm »

About half of that list (all the ones with links) came out before titans though, and the rest are the sort of patch details that probably happen (for most games, anyway) hidden in the update notes. You can't blame all of it on the patchspansion, Big. :P

I figured i'd show you guys this. At least Uber might see it and respond and try to convince us that they aren't horrible devs? Who knows.
...I am entirely fine with complaining and shouting at the devs' stupid decisions, but the last time I saw a petition related to a game complaint was Tiberium Twilight's lack of proper C&C basebuilding. And that one went absolutely nowhere, just like the game it targeted did.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 19, 2015, 05:24:23 pm »

About half of that list (all the ones with links) came out before titans though, and the rest are the sort of patch details that probably happen (for most games, anyway) hidden in the update notes. You can't blame all of it on the patchspansion, Big. :P

PatchDLC. The devs have said it's more than DLC, but they have also priced it in DLC range.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well the game was being sold for 5$ on steam and even availble in 5$ bundles.
it's only logical that thye want to revive and sell it for 40$... but i really think they did it all ass backwards.
They should have never sold the base game dirt cheap and make Titans an expansion/DLC for 5-10$

And right now the base game is 5$ and it's "expansion" is sold for 40$.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Its expansion is basically sold as $13ish, I don't see a lot of people buying $40 for an expansion, much less dlc. Maybe thats why its a standalone, they want to re-release it?

Also we don't even have 20 pages yet, you silly psmaller-posts-per-page-person :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 20, 2015, 02:44:55 am »

lol what? all the kickstarter backers which invested into their vision got what everything they asked back and then more. even the unit cannon, which was touted as a huge failure left and right in delivery, is right there in the game.

people just like to complain on internet, I understand that, but it's the first time I see this level of entitlement here.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf

So I just spotted this Titan thing on Steam. Thinking it's just a new PA patch/version naming, I dismissed it and it didn't even connect to me why would they up the price to 40$ (again).

Checked this topic, saw it's standalone... which adds not really much to the game. Ok, so titans and some units. New terrain, new game mode, overall balance check, some UI stuff. It's all fine and dandy. But really, let us be completely honest - these days, 40$ for a new game means you are either putting out a NEW game or a rehashed misery EA style (ok, the later is more like 60$, tbh). I try to stay clear of KS drama, especially the PA one but seriously, these guys have all the wrong ideas when it comes to creating a long-standing, good company image.

TL;DR appropriate gif for this mess:
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Just read through the entire thread. I feel bad for the first 20 pages; all of that enthusiasm for what amounted to be something that never was finished. Also the fact that they sold early access for more than most games retail and made a massive amount of money only to throw it away on another game that they didn't actually finish before release (it was the giant-monster one that only released with one monster and the rest as DLC).

I think you're getting two companies mixed up?

The game you're thinking of sounds like Kaiju A-Go-Go which was a different company.  Uber tried to kickstart a different monster game, Human Resources, and promptly closed it amid general outrage that they'd try to make another game while their first was falling apart.

Exhibit A in the case of why I disregard all in-development games until they're actually out.
Shoes...

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Just read through the entire thread. I feel bad for the first 20 pages; all of that enthusiasm for what amounted to be something that never was finished. Also the fact that they sold early access for more than most games retail and made a massive amount of money only to throw it away on another game that they didn't actually finish before release (it was the giant-monster one that only released with one monster and the rest as DLC).

I think you're getting two companies mixed up?

The game you're thinking of sounds like Kaiju A-Go-Go which was a different company.  Uber tried to kickstart a different monster game, Human Resources, and promptly closed it amid general outrage that they'd try to make another game while their first was falling apart.

Exhibit A in the case of why I disregard all in-development games until they're actually out.
The worst part was that A: Human Resources probably would have had way more going for it than PA in terms of being something I'd like to play, and B: THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS WOULD HAPPEN BUT THEY ANNOUNCED IT ANYWAYS. They'd already 'released' the game to not insignificant jeering- it was obvious that few outside Uber believed the game was done. If they'd delayed the announcement of Human Resources by even a little while, we might have that instead of this dubious expandalone instead. :P
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:00:05 pm by Twi »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40