Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72916 times)

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

build a giant pipe and relocate the gas giant through it ontop of the enemy planet?
additional upgrades include menacing spikes along the pipe and turrets at the enemy planet end.

on 2nd thought... move the pipe to the sun to relocate some space magma.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:43:04 am by Nelia Hawk »

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

See image.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Am I the only who's slightly disappointed that more space stuff is put behind naval units? For a game called Planetary Annihilation, you'd expect more ... planets. Perhaps massive spaceships and dropships. Planetary assault and bombarding via conventional means. I like throwing massive rocks at the enemy, but I also like having my fleet pounding an enemy into dust. Or sending a Temblor bomb down a planet's throat.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Well, the original plan was to have only land combat. (Also, I doubt that enhanced orbital units means real spaceships and such. They have said that the planned interfaces don't work with the needed third dimension in space. Instead they have been talking about having a sattelite layer around planets)

I guess they are putting things in order of extra effort needed. I mean, Aquatic combat is just the same as land combat, only on water, while space combat includes an entire extra dimension, and a few different parameters, like infinite range of sight/ firing range.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile

I feel that for a TA successor naval combat is a must. The prospect of asteroids causing massive tsunamis is also something to look forward to.

I don't really feel that enthusiastic for the second stretch goal.

Gas giants can be present just in the form of additional gravitational pulls in the solar system. Having a whole separate tier of buildings that could be utilized on them seems more like something I'd like to see in a mod rather than a full stretch goal.

Am I the only one who fondly remembers the TA's single player campaign mode? The devs said they are thinking about it adding a campaign mode as a stretch goal but unfortunately it seem to be low priority.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I like their stetch goals, just not the implementation of the second one. Okay, I understand they want to go with awesome rather than realism, but say, which one is cooler:

Quote from: Kicksarter
Many of you are excited about the idea of more planet types and more gameplay to take specific advantage of those planets. This stretch goal is to add gas giant planets (similar to saturn or jupiter) to the game and an expanded set of orbital units with unique gameplay. Gas giants have no land in the real world but we may allow some buildable areas on “high mountains” on these planets.
Or
Giant facilities floating on the dense athmosphere, sailing around to evade storms the size of a small planet.

I mean, the realistic alternative is cooler than the intended one.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I'm fine with either implementation really, so long as the game is amazing.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@10ebber10: Nice Avatar.
@forsaken1111: Holy shit I love that avatar.

I kinda like the idea of getting naval units. Although I'm kinda curious if sub orbital fighters will be a thing, you know air units all that jazz.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

They showed one in the gameplay visualization, so I suppose they're planning to do it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

@forsaken1111: Holy shit I love that avatar.
Thanks!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I wonder if they'll implement nuclear weapons, and if they do, if they'll be able to launch toward other planets/astral bodies. Maybe the nukes could even be used as an asteroid defense, blowing them to bits before they can impact.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I wonder if they'll implement nuclear weapons, and if they do, if they'll be able to launch toward other planets/astral bodies. Maybe the nukes could even be used as an asteroid defense, blowing them to bits before they can impact.
You did see the trailer, right?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Considering what he said, I'm going with no he did not see it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fat lot of good the defenses did in the trailer though. :P I'm actually wondering whether the asteroids/planets breaking up will be a predetermined/scripted thing, or a more procedurally generated thing. Also whether one could make bases on bits of blown-up planet once they cool off.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Fat lot of good the defenses did in the trailer though. :P I'm actually wondering whether the asteroids/planets breaking up will be a predetermined/scripted thing, or a more procedurally generated thing. Also whether one could make bases on bits of blown-up planet once they cool off.
Yeah I'm guessing once it's on final approach like that no amount of nuking is going to save you. At most you'll make a rifle shot into a shotgun burst.

I'm curious too if the debris from a near miss could then be built upon.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I'm guessing once it's on final approach like that no amount of nuking is going to save you. At most you'll make a rifle shot into a shotgun burst.

I'm curious too if the debris from a near miss could then be built upon.
I'd imagine the best defense would be a good offense. Since the planet can't dodge and can only handle small projectiles being chucked at it, the best counter to an asteroid attack would be having an asteroid of your own to send on an intercept course. Or at the very least you'd have to have sensor coverage of a whole lot of the surrounding space, so you could launch long-range missiles in advance.

Then again, it's an asteroid base. Quite possibly with nukes and antinukes of its own.

Heh, anyone who says this game won't have spaceships just doesn't have a broad enough definition for "spaceship". Who needs to haul fifteen million tons of metal into space when you can just strap engines onto fifteen million tons of rock and weaponry?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40