Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72909 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

yes, it was one of the things to do, specially because of te inaccuracies of shooting at radar blips.

games with fog of war off was awesome as well, because of the total information you had about the battlefield it was truy a contest of strategies and not just surprises. this is more relevant when there are few players: since there is some innate x against y logic in each unit, in small matches it made sense leaving out the random factor of starting factory and build order selection from the equation.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Quote from: 10ebbor10
The entire 40 player match is confirmed to happen on one single server. These will probably be compagny supported servers and special events, since it will be fairly resource intensive. I'm pretty sure they are going to do a fog of war thing though, so that you can't see what happens on the other planets.
Whoah whoah whoah, I thought they were doing this new pseudo-client side hosting thingy? Like peer-to-peer but over a mesh network?
No, I don't think so. They are using a standard synchronized system with a single server doing all the calculation.

Other than Total Annihilation, which was asynchronous, most Real-Time Strategy games use a synchronous networking model, which means that all the computers in a given game are held back by the slowest machine. The Planetary Annihilation engine uses a client-server model so that the “heavy lifting” can be done on a game server, freeing up gamers’ machines to engage in bigger battles with more players!

They originally (before the kickstarter), planned to do an asynchronous system, but they decided to change that for some reason(Probably executive meddling)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

It is extremely complicated to make it asynchronous and cross platform as every platform has it's own math issues.

Spring rts had tons of trouble catching all the out of sync errors when mixed windows linux client were present

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

This is the most fucking awesome game ever to be made. Amen.
If i could i would fucking sell the whole oil reserve of Denmark and give all the money to this company.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Funded!  This is absolutely amazing.  If it is even a tenth as awesome as they want it top be, it will be more awesome than SupCom, and I loved SupCom.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile

Over half way funded! They also added some of the responses from a few big names in the industry.

Spoiler: Responses (click to show/hide)
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

Notch has obviously the best response. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

These guys deserve a medal.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile

Hmmm I just wish it did not cost $100 to get into the alpha :/
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile

No pain, no game.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

An Alpha of an RTS game is bound to be full of two three things:
1. Bugs.
2. OP units
3. Likely broken pathfinding.

I'm totally fine with waiting.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm how am I not already throwing money at this?

It could be my inability to throw money at Kickstarter projects :P

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I guess there's always the beta to look forward to?

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

622.000 reached and 22 days left. It's quite safe to assume that they'll reach their goal of 900.000. I might even throw some PayPal monies at them once they do reach 900.000. I've been getting quite psyched on this game and there isn't even an Alpha version of the game!

With this and Rome 2, I got a looooooooooong wait ahead of me. *sigh*
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

See image.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 40