Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bear Traps  (Read 1091 times)

BlueSam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bear Traps
« on: August 14, 2012, 05:21:53 pm »

Hi, guys! I've been playing for about an year and a half, and it's my first post. Also, I never modded anything, but I'm very interested.

I'd like to know if it's possible to make bear traps the way I imagine them:

You would build the like other trap components (disks), out of metal and installed with a mechanism.  When activated, it would "bite" anyone in the tile and latch. Is there a way to make the attack always target feet and/or lower legs? Also, the target would be able to escape just like it would with an ordinary grip.

Sorry if I'm being too Demandind, but I want to know what is possible before trying to make it. Also, if any of you have anything like it, please share.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Bear Traps
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 07:09:25 pm »

As far as I can tell you can't make it latch. But then I've only modded melee weapons, not trap components.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 08:13:41 pm »

You could make a trap weapon called a "Bear Trap," but you could stack it in with 9 other weapons which could or could not be bear traps, and it would attack a random part and not latch. Do some research on when bear traps were invented and head to the Suggestions forum.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 10:00:26 pm »

As traps currently work in Dwarf Fortress, what you are asking for is impossible, plain and simple - it cannot be done.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:48:46 am »

The closest thing you can do is make a pressure plate 'capture' trap.
4 small raising bridges around a pressure plate, when someone steps on it, they'll be trapped inside.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 02:07:07 am »

The closest thing you can do is make a pressure plate 'capture' trap.
4 small raising bridges around a pressure plate, when someone steps on it, they'll be trapped inside.
Or, with the delay involved in working with bridges and pressure plate, either (more likely) escape or (less likely) be crushed.

But yeah, while you could make a trap component that dealt cutting/blunt damage similar to the way a bear trap would, you can't make traps latch right now.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:19:43 am »

Maybe you can make tranquilisator darts trap. Trap with blowgun/xbow/bow and ammo with syndrome adding IMMOBILE tag, if it's possible.
Or transforming into motionless creature, if not.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 08:31:41 am »

Not possible to add IMMOBILE. Easier to make them just unconscious for a while. Requires understanding of how to get syndromes onto ammo.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 09:00:15 am »

Not possible to add IMMOBILE. Easier to make them just unconscious for a while. Requires understanding of how to get syndromes onto ammo.
Or that.

Dwarven Modifications suffer of overcomplexivity as well as Dwarven Machinery.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

BlueSam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 10:38:22 am »

All right, thanks a lot!