Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Realism vs fun (ordinary fun)  (Read 8880 times)

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Realism vs fun (ordinary fun)
« on: August 11, 2012, 05:26:56 pm »

I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to play Adventure Mode anymore. It's too realistic.

I can't engage in any combat with my adventurer, for fear that he might be killed. He sneaks everywhere. He sends in the mercenaries and the minions, and watches them fight. He might occasionally stab something in the back if it looks like we're winning. If we're losing he'll run back to town to get more recruits.

And this just isn't fun.

But then neither is training up an elite swordsman (by wrestling wombats, no less), leading your men into battle and then dying instantaneously to a iron bolt to the face. Or being instantly crippled by an arrow to the knee, effectively killing your adventurer by making him useless.

All the fun of adventure mode has been eroded for me by too many insta-kill deaths which I could do nothing about.

The latest was a kobald ambush. I have about 6 guards. We "spawn" with a ring of kobalds surrounding us. I take three steps and "You have been shot and killed." Thanks, game.

It's pointless to keep making new adventurers when they'll all either be complete cowards (who live until their first ambush), or dead within the hour.

At some point, you have to know when to cut your losses and leave. And that's why I've had enough of Adventure Mode.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Realism vs fun (ordinary fun)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 05:35:29 pm »

I kinda know how you feel.
I usually quit the moment my adventurer gets any kind of injury that isn't a scratch, because I know they're already dead.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 05:42:09 pm »

I can't engage in any combat with my adventurer, for fear that he might be killed
Well, that's the point of combat. Your SUPPOSED to be afraid to die in combat. If a game with mortal combat doesn't have a risk of losing your character/some sort of repercussion for death/failure, its not a very good game.

Or being instantly crippled by an arrow to the knee, effectively killing your adventurer by making him useless.
I will agree that arrows in this update appear to be pure bullshit. I can't count how many time SILVER has pierced through adamantine breast plates and helmets.

My suggestion for a long lived adventurer is modding out ranged weapons, it makes ADV mode MUCH more fun.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It also helps to stop viewing adventurers as "special snowflakes" and more as tools to be used up and thrown away.
EDIT-Watch out folks this post is so edgy, you might accidentally cut your self with it!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 05:49:09 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 05:46:06 pm »

It also helps to stop viewing adventurers as "special snowflakes" and more as tools to be used up and thrown away.

That actually was the best lesson I learned from X-Com UFO Defense.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 05:53:24 pm »

I can't engage in any combat with my adventurer, for fear that he might be killed
Well, that's the point of combat. Your SUPPOSED to be afraid to die in combat. If a game with mortal combat doesn't have a risk of losing your character/some sort of repercussion for death/failure, its not a very good game.

The flip side is that a game where the only viable tactic is not to play is also not a great game either.

At some point, if you want to create a great "game", you have to trade some realism away for the sake of letting the player actually do something he'll enjoy.

Of course DF isn't a game which any of us want to be easy, but I really just don't see the point in taking the time to create a spiffy adventurer when you're only 50/50 likely to survive any encounter.

And the game at present loves to ensure it always has numerical advantage in bandit type encounters, which is really cheap, considering how tough the bandits are as opponents anyhow.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 05:56:34 pm »

Now there's a game I played and loved years ago. Playing iron man is fun, too. But if you lose your entire squad you don't lose the game. You have to recruit more soldiers, buy a new Skyranger, and keep on truckin'.

Imagine how tough XCom would have been, should you have had an instant "Game Over" if a certain soldier was killed. For sure, he'd be the one in the back of the Skyranger who you never, ever, allowed to get into combat.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 05:57:30 pm »

50/50 my ass.
In a fight with a naked peasant living in a mound of dirt, you've got a 75 in 25 shot.
Someone fully armed and armored, around 45%, 25% if they have a projectile weapon.
Anything bigger then a human, you've got maybe a 10% chance, and as the size increases, that chance gets lower.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 06:04:35 pm »

Now there's a game I played and loved years ago. Playing iron man is fun, too. But if you lose your entire squad you don't lose the game. You have to recruit more soldiers, buy a new Skyranger, and keep on truckin'.

Imagine how tough XCom would have been, should you have had an instant "Game Over" if a certain soldier was killed. For sure, he'd be the one in the back of the Skyranger who you never, ever, allowed to get into combat.

In my recent games with the new Xenonauts alpha, I have actually been doing almost exactly that - I keep the heavy gunner, the rocket launcher toter, and the medic in the landing chopper in case they are needed.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 06:07:59 pm »

Honestly, I don't find adventure mode that hard, so long as you don't take on humans/dwarves early. My most recent adventurer was made into a quadriplegic in his first fight, and then went on to win it. He then strangled an ogre to death and killed five bandits before a few lucky blows to the chest ruined his lungs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 07:12:36 pm »

You ever played Silent Storm?

You kind of have to have the main character as a sniper to get them involved in combat... I remember the first time I played through a mission properly, an hour and a half of messing around shooting enemies only to have my scout main get busted by some rogue Allied soldier with a rifle in a stairway.

I was not happy.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 08:18:51 pm »

"Ah, here we have the adventurer in his natural habitat... But look out, here comes the dice gods, the adventurer's natural predator..."

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 11:34:36 pm »

It should be possible to nerf ranged weapons without taking them out if they bug you.
The stats interact in rather complicated ways, but id go in an increase the contact area of arrows and bolts a couple points. Reduce their penetration a couple hundred points, and knock a couple hundred off the Shooting force of bows and crossbows and see how it goes.
[Edit] Upon investiation it turns out that adjusting projectile stats does almost nothing in the current version, except for drastic increases in Contact Area.

Or if you get a nonsense death like "The weasel bites you on the tongue, you explode into a cloud of gore!" savescumm that sucker.

I don't personally find adventure mode that hard...if my adv makes it through their first 2-3 quests (Most don't) they're probably ok for quite a while. I don't powerlevel much. Everyone dies eventually though. That's sorta the thesis of DF...

Also about ambushes. It seems like thye are one of the few things that scales with the size of your party. If you feel like getting jumped by 40 bandits, the best way to do it is to recruit 20 companions. If it was just you and 2 other guys it would probably be about 6 bandits.

Which sounds fair at first, but of course experience shows that the lethality of archers goes up geometrically as their numbers increase.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:12:49 pm by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 11:49:39 pm »

Generally, you absolutely need a shield, but most importantly, you must know how to use your weapon. Each weapon has to be swung at diffrent areas of the body for optimum effectiveness.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 12:00:42 am »

The flip side is that a game where the only viable tactic is not to play is also not a great game either.

I personally find global thermonuclear war to be a great game.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 12:45:33 am »

Clearly you not playing it well and by well I mean the next logical step from to many deaths, Save scumming. Also you need to grind up sneak, and learn the best tactic, "Aim for the hands then aim for the face" once you disarm them you can finish them off. if your strong enough you can oneshot folks faster than they could oneshot you.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6