Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461808 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #3090 on: December 24, 2017, 04:29:44 pm »

So, the Japan patch added some nifty countries in the Philippines:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's three big players, Tondo, Madyas, and Maguindanao. Then there's Pangasinan, Maynila, Cebu, and Butuan, OPMs. Of the lot, there's some religious diversity: Pangasinan is Mahayana Buddhist, and Maguindanao and Maynila are Animist. Everyone else is Hindu.

Tondo, Pangasinan, and Maynila share ideas, which have a running theme of maritime support and economic boosts. Cebu's ideas focus it on political stability, Madyas is really navy focused, Maguindanao has ideas that mainly improve its economy with a military-boost on the side, and Butuan has diplomacy and trade focus (with much-coveted additional merchant, diplomat, relations slot, and relations point.) Personally, I like Maguindanao and Butuan's ideas, but none of them are really bad IMO, and given the Philippines' position, Madyas arguably has pretty good ideas.

On the topic of Madyas, there's something else interesting about them: they're an oligarchic republic. I'm not experienced enough to really comment on how good or bad this is, strictly speaking, although I'm told that absolutism is crucial to the metagame these days. It would definitely be an interesting game.

I'm currently having a pretty decent game as Maguindanao. Things would be going pretty smoothly if Borneo didn't threaten to intervene against me. If nothing else, a huge navy is the key to success here. If you have the biggest navy, you can lock down the sea and keep everyone off your islands.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: December 25, 2017, 01:40:34 pm »

I've been rolling random new worlds and playing Vinland games which are real cool, lots of retro Norse invasions into Ireland 'n stuff. I rolled a dope 10 discipline ideas Vinland and all the other ideas are hardcore too.

The games bug out though with Norse pirates. Maybe it's cause they have their capital in the new world. After the turn of the month after sending out the fleet, the privateers sit idle in the sea. Anyone play?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3092 on: December 25, 2017, 07:44:07 pm »

I reckon it's probably more to do with the RNW than the capital location, because I usually have no issues when pirating in the Caribbean as an exodus Knights or Granada. Also as an aside, Oman converting China to Ibadi Islam from 50% trade power and COC is hilarious and OP

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: December 26, 2017, 04:34:04 am »

My pre-Japan patch Wales game went pretty well for a update on my progress, i lost the reformation war & the title only went onto egible France (which of course makes things trickier) so i just instead set my sights on conquering the new world & Norway, forming GB along the way.

This picture is a little bit prior to where I ended up, but at 1616 i was a little behind schedule of how i wanted to form england quickly in the 1500's, but instead i took the long route & conquered ireland & scotland and worked my way back down into England. Lead manufacturer in iron from intensive development dumps, leading controller of the english trade node by virtue of provincial power.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3094 on: December 26, 2017, 11:58:36 am »

Do you guys normally form the bigger cultural union nation or stick with the one you took to get there? Cos I feel like if you take over Russia as Smolensk or Britain as Wales I always want to stay as the smaller nation instead of just renaming it

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: December 26, 2017, 12:44:34 pm »

I usually stick with the smaller nation for exactly that reason, although if I dont care much for the color or ideas of my original nation I will probably still switch. It's not like I dont know what country I was :)

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: December 31, 2017, 08:18:31 pm »

That's a utilitarian definition of feudalism. Convenient even for mysterious purposes not willing to be known.
_____
The tech 1 adminstration gives any nation feudalism. It reads "Feudal Monarchy - As social organization improves, so do things like food production. Increasing food production allows a society to upkeep people who aren't producers of food themselves. This leads to creation of a military elite, to defend against enemy's military elite. Supporting of the military elite is the basis of the feudal system." That's it word for word. It's backwards in thought and strangley grammar.

Butta hey, my Vinland games was going great until I moved the capital to Akerhaus and all of my original lands, quite sacred Norse yo, went to money grubbing colonial nations. Anyone know where I can rip those out of the game files and if I could continue playing? I might need to keep my capital overseas if there's no solution.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:30:25 pm by Bob69Joe »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: January 01, 2018, 01:20:19 am »

If you are playing on ironman, the damage is done im afraid, it disallows savescumming and saves aren't stored seperately in game files.

You've made the mistake of exodusing yourself, now you will need to find a new non-colonial province to jump back possibly in a new region if you only hold Akerhaus and im pretty sure that will not undo your colonial nations formed in your wake either.

Keep it overseas because you're not disallowed to own land on two continents after all as a "New World" based nation, major misplay im afraid.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: January 02, 2018, 12:50:19 am »

I'm kinda silly, I'll try disabling Conquest of the New World dlc and see if my empire crumbles to republican factions or not. The cool thing about EUIV, if not playing Ironman, is that dlcs can be turned on and off without consequences to the saved game. I find Cossacks addition of estates really annoying and the powers in the Mandate of Heaven after gaining splendor 'op' so I keep those off, but things like stealing maps is in other dlc thankfully. I'll get back to you folks about about turning off Conquest of the NW if it helps to remain the dynasty after moving the capital to the old world.

With Vinland's dominance in the 'New' New World and lack of Doomsday, the hereditary monarchs will have an easier time anyway. Also, the chinese republic got spawned and is causing problems for Castilian expansion. It's 1580ish and the European monarchs are just now feeling adventurous enough to gain some islands along the equator. The new geography doesn't present any profitiability besides some island hopping. Eventually they'll get to the continent. It's the long one that looks like a can opener and is spread north to south. I'd say it's about a 1000 miles from China. I'd like to share the map, it's cool. Does DF Depot allow files from other games? Seems like It'd be a bad practice, what about the forum? I know Paradox allows for embedded files right inside a post. They allow for up to one whole gigabyte. Uh, lol looking down I notice an 'attachments' tab. I'll check that out in the morning. G' night, g' mornin', g' day, folks!
_____
Well poo. I started this game with only CotNW and Common Sense active, then put in everything else because I couldn't make Welsh, Irish, or Highland vassals into marches. Now trying to turn off CotNW makes the save fail to load. Ah well. Vinland is still awesome.

A tip on making RNW(random new world) is to keep the fog of war unactive in the lobby, it's in the options, to see what nations and lands are spawned. I personally dislike the symmetrical tiles and the one that looks like a skull and the other of the Paradox logo, so I moved those out of their folder into a backup and they aren't possible to be formed, cutting down on retrys greatly. Have two folders open: map/random/tiles and map/random/tiles/data. Data has the pictures and each is named the same for the text to each tile. RNWScenarios has each possible fantasy nation. I think 200 to 500 is the number most likely to spawn but I don't see how idea groups are chosen.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:02:57 pm by Bob69Joe »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: January 07, 2018, 07:51:48 pm »

I started a game in Korea.  Not entirely sure what to do in life.  Missions wanted me to expand northward but I only have one crappy ally so I doubt I'd really be able to all that easily.  They don't seem willing to fight me either so that's alright.  Ming just seems to be warring to collect more tributaries, getting bonus relations with random tributaries, and giving me 100 ducats.  The king or whoever Korea starts with has silly stats, which I used to rush some tech to start on ideas.  His heir is utter crap though, but the leader also has infertile as a trait so chances are I won't be able to get a better heir, hunting accidents or else ways.

I took exploration ideas for shiggles.  I just started colonizing Taiwan.  I figure I can probably colonize south and eat the Philippines and Indonesia or something.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: January 23, 2018, 08:22:03 am »

well they finally got around to redesigning missions

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-23rd-of-january-2018.1066296/

fucking stupid that they tried doing that whole "ages" bullshit first, but whatever.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: January 23, 2018, 01:48:40 pm »

I haven't played this in a while, but that reminds me of focus trees from HoI IV.

Seems like it doesn't fit terribly well in EU IV?  HoI has always had the problem that its such a short time span you can't have too much interesting alt history.  Focus trees were a hamfisted way to give you some ridiculous options like fascist Canada vs USA.  But here it seems like it rewards you for going down the path that your nation did historically.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: January 23, 2018, 02:34:01 pm »

I haven't played this in a while, but that reminds me of focus trees from HoI IV.

Seems like it doesn't fit terribly well in EU IV?  HoI has always had the problem that its such a short time span you can't have too much interesting alt history.  Focus trees were a hamfisted way to give you some ridiculous options like fascist Canada vs USA.  But here it seems like it rewards you for going down the path that your nation did historically.

eh, it's basically just the same mission system without having to game the RNG weighting for new missions. the graphical representation might be like HOI4, but most of the concepts - including prereqs and the "alt history" element is mostly the same as it was before - at least as far as Byzantium/Ottomans (shown) go. also not so much "historically" when it comes to countries like Byzantium.

it's also not like HOI4 in that you can complete all of the focus trees, and there aren't choices here.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:01:07 pm by ZeroGravitas »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: January 23, 2018, 07:43:32 pm »

I think it'll be a good thing. It always bothered me how easy it was to forget about a mission and have it taking up potential slots for missions that give free claims, so the ability to have multiple missions running simultaneously will be nice. What I'm really hoping, though, is that this'll cause the AI to hew closer to history. Reduce "sedentary Brandenburg" syndrome that causes Prussia to never form, convince the Ottomans to take North Africa instead of eating Russia, that kind of thing.

Also, this will reduce the effectiveness of crazy tag-switching strats. It always bothered me that the optimal strategies in a supposedly realistic grand strategy game involved things like turning Prussia into Yuan Mongolia.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3104 on: January 23, 2018, 08:12:08 pm »

The Hapsburgs are gonna be so fun
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 216