Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461502 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1305 on: June 11, 2014, 04:00:05 pm »

Frequent instagibs of 10 stacks by 2 stacks?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: June 11, 2014, 04:14:09 pm »

Probably, but that cuts both ways.  Digging through the combat mechanics, the maximum leader skill, unit attack/defense, and terrain modifiers are all order 1.  The practical effect of the die result appear to cap out at 13 at the highest and -2 at the lowest, which correspond to 120 or 4 base casualties per day respectively (modified further by discipline, tactics, units, and all that jazz), and morale damage is proportional to casualties rather than the die roll directly.  Since the die is rolled per side rather than per unit, basically, one side will almost always gut the other side while taking minimal losses themselves for a given phase, but that'll vary wildly - since it's one die per side again, and since all other modifiers are essentially overwhelmed except in marginal cases, it reduces combat to little better than a coinflip done every three days. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:16:28 pm by Culise »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: June 11, 2014, 08:38:15 pm »

What if you put the range** number to 1*?

* thinking that in theory if both sides will roll the same 'casualty' number, then battles will be affected by things like.. generals, morale, discipline, pips, [modifiers and such] much more, correct?

** Ends up it's not a range just a hard number
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:43:03 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: June 12, 2014, 01:22:16 am »

Having that diceroll constant be high does serve some purposes, since otherwise you can get dreadful ping-ponging and battles in general will last longer. I also think some random element is necessary to keep the battles interesting, since otherwise they're quite boring to watch and you never get those surprise moments of an exceptional outcome. On the flipside, it also sucks to have a battle that decides a war be lost or have huge losses just because they got a +9 buff on several of the initial phases. Since they added that define I've kept it at around a 7 sided die, which I think is a good tweak.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: June 17, 2014, 04:17:30 pm »

That's... weird. I've always been able to start playing colonials at any point (I need to sometimes, so I can customize province names). You sure you have CoP installed/active currently?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: June 17, 2014, 04:43:38 pm »

Er, no, you don't have it. You can play as a tribe, but you can't do the CoP-specific Native mechanics, like move your single-province state, or use the Native-only tribal technologies to reform.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 17, 2014, 08:43:08 pm »

For those who might not know there is a new "mini-DLC" planned for July called Res Publica. Live stream here.

Some details scrapped off the Paradox forums:
Spoiler: general information (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: new ideas (click to show/hide)

It looks alright but personally I would much prefer them to sort out all the shit they flat out broke in the 1.6 patch.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 17, 2014, 08:57:13 pm »

Humanist and administrative just because incredible and influence. However I wish they would drop merc bonuses from administrative into something else.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 17, 2014, 09:16:49 pm »

Quantity just went from Good to Godly, it seems.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 17, 2014, 09:29:27 pm »

Quantity just went from Good to Godly, it seems.

Why can I only choose 8 ideas :'( I call shenanigans!

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 18, 2014, 01:13:19 am »

Can I form Prussia as Hansa? I already have core in Ostpreussen, Warmia and Danzing, and Prussian is an acceptable culture - I understand that I need adm 10 in order to form, but I should have the decision before reaching that, right?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 18, 2014, 01:32:37 am »

Wiki says you need to be Prussian, Saxon, or Pomeranian to form Prussia if you're not Brandenburg or the Teutonic Order. You'll need to culture shift as the Hansa since it's Hannoverian, just having Prussian as an accepted culture won't cut it.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 18, 2014, 01:34:59 am »

Damn. How do I go around doing that?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 18, 2014, 01:41:50 am »

Been a while since I've done it but I believe you have to move your capital to a province with the desired culture and then have enough provinces with that culture making more income than provinces with your primary culture. Most people game this by releasing vassals and selling them provinces.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 18, 2014, 01:43:06 am »

Right, I'll try that. Thanks for the help.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 216