Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461531 times)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1260 on: June 02, 2014, 02:58:29 pm »

Currently trying to unite Japan as a Daimyo, which isnt easy. On my third attempt and they keep uniting against me once I get to a certain size. :/ Granted, maybe I should be more patient and core and integrate the prvoicnes I conquer first, before moving on. Steamrolling my neighbors seems to have some serious backlashes.

Man, you're going to be disappointed ~200 years into your Japan game when Kirishan Tensions starts. Hint: Japan is not worth playing. At all. I thought it'd be fun too until the bullshit 'flavor' events that force you into revolt lock.

I even let the goddamn christian rebels break my country since 14 regiment groups poopped up with every Tension event that fired. Guess what? My religion didn't change. Rebels disappear, still shinto, still get Kirishin tensions every couple weeks. You can't change to Catholic to stop this, and you can't simply stay Shinto or the game ruins any fun you'll be trying to have about 1600.

When you get the choice to let westerners in, don't do it, ever. It ruins Japan's gameplay and shows us how Paradox is a Europe-fanboy without the ability to create real experiences in EU4 outside of painting a map a pretty color and watching your magic points tick up.

I *believe* picking a certain choice in the 'westerners arrive' or [whatever the event is called] will stop you from having a ruined Japan game.

Do you know anything about EU4? Paradox no longer allows us to paint the map our color. No, that would be too fun. Any attempt to paint map will result in disaster. And should you figure out a viable strategy, it shall be nerfed in the next patch.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: June 02, 2014, 03:08:34 pm »

Currently trying to unite Japan as a Daimyo, which isnt easy. On my third attempt and they keep uniting against me once I get to a certain size. :/ Granted, maybe I should be more patient and core and integrate the prvoicnes I conquer first, before moving on. Steamrolling my neighbors seems to have some serious backlashes.

Man, you're going to be disappointed ~200 years into your Japan game when Kirishan Tensions starts. Hint: Japan is not worth playing. At all. I thought it'd be fun too until the bullshit 'flavor' events that force you into revolt lock.

I even let the goddamn christian rebels break my country since 14 regiment groups poopped up with every Tension event that fired. Guess what? My religion didn't change. Rebels disappear, still shinto, still get Kirishin tensions every couple weeks. You can't change to Catholic to stop this, and you can't simply stay Shinto or the game ruins any fun you'll be trying to have about 1600.

When you get the choice to let westerners in, don't do it, ever. It ruins Japan's gameplay and shows us how Paradox is a Europe-fanboy without the ability to create real experiences in EU4 outside of painting a map a pretty color and watching your magic points tick up.

I *believe* picking a certain choice in the 'westerners arrive' or [whatever the event is called] will stop you from having a ruined Japan game.

Do you know anything about EU4? Paradox no longer allows us to paint the map our color. No, that would be too fun. Any attempt to paint map will result in disaster. And should you figure out a viable strategy, it shall be nerfed in the next patch.
I beg to differ. It's just that the threshold to hit snowball levels is higher. The world is my plaything in my current EU4 game, but that's in large part because I started with an imported CK2 game where the Mongol Hordes were VERY successful. The 1.6.1 patch actually made it far easier for me to steamroll, thanks to the changes to coring mechanics.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: June 02, 2014, 03:43:39 pm »

I beg to differ. It's just that the threshold to hit snowball levels is higher. The world is my plaything in my current EU4 game, but that's in large part because I started with an imported CK2 game where the Mongol Hordes were VERY successful. The 1.6.1 patch actually made it far easier for me to steamroll, thanks to the changes to coring mechanics.

Well sure if you import a massive blob you can snowball to hell and back. I'm talking about starting a normal game. Hell, only the early game is slowed down any, after like 1650 I can do what I want. But the problem is most people spend most of their time in the early game.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: June 02, 2014, 03:56:57 pm »

Just tried my hand at being the HRE for the first time in EU4. Managed to form it as protestant austria around 1580. Enforcing religious unity is the most overpowered thing ever in terms of getting authority. Balances out how defensive wars are completely broken, not once did I get a call to arms to help someone attacked by a foreign power. To the contrary, I had my allies within the empire try to get me to help them attack their fellow subjects, costing me at least 25 prestige, sometimes 50, each time (thank you console commands). Maybe it's just that no foreign power ever directly attacked an imperial subject except when I was myself at war against it, but that seems unlikely. There's also the massive problem of demanding unlawful territory being completely impossible because nothing will ever give you enough positives to make someone accept, and there are massive negatives to the chance including that the AI will immediately begin coring the province. It doesn't check for military strength at all.
    Other than that it was pretty fun, but the HRE thing wasn't actually my plan, I actually wanted to get PU's. Never even got a von Habsburg on any throne outside the empire.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: June 02, 2014, 04:13:57 pm »

Ehh, the fact that they never give unlawful territory back makes sense to me. If they are willing to go to war for a province, I doubt they are going to give it back because someone says that it belongs to them.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: June 02, 2014, 04:23:49 pm »

Austria constantly fucks me in my Denmark games. Guess I should wait until I annex/integrate all my shit before I go for the Hansa.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: June 02, 2014, 05:46:39 pm »

I started my first game as the Teutonic Order in EUIV, and didn't find expansion too difficult (except in the beginning, when Poland and Brandenburg are up in your face). All of Poland, Hungary, Lithuania, Finland, Crimea, and half of Russia by 1700's ok. I can see what they were trying to do with the new vassal annexation system, and I think it's a good idea to have it tied to base tax to discourage vassal feeding, but what I would've liked is to have the other poorly executed ways of discouraging it removed if they're going this route, like the arbitrary refusals to buy territory sometimes.

What I would really like to see is a system where the vassal offers integration after you treat it well for a number of years, or you force it early at the expense of something else. There was also a good opportunity to tie it in with the rival system, where a vassal may seek integration if there are numerous perceived threats. It's a shame that it came out as half baked as it is, but I do think there's a lot of possibility for improvement with the direction they took.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: June 03, 2014, 03:20:38 am »

I started my first game as the Teutonic Order in EUIV, and didn't find expansion too difficult (except in the beginning, when Poland and Brandenburg are up in your face). All of Poland, Hungary, Lithuania, Finland, Crimea, and half of Russia by 1700's ok. I can see what they were trying to do with the new vassal annexation system, and I think it's a good idea to have it tied to base tax to discourage vassal feeding, but what I would've liked is to have the other poorly executed ways of discouraging it removed if they're going this route, like the arbitrary refusals to buy territory sometimes.

What I would really like to see is a system where the vassal offers integration after you treat it well for a number of years, or you force it early at the expense of something else. There was also a good opportunity to tie it in with the rival system, where a vassal may seek integration if there are numerous perceived threats. It's a shame that it came out as half baked as it is, but I do think there's a lot of possibility for improvement with the direction they took.

You made it to 1700 after the patch? I haven't even broken 1475 in my current Denmark game. I got curia controller which was nice, but then Russian roflstomped me in a war. Got the last two teutonic provinces but lost some from other places to make peace. I was trying to grab the last 3 nov provinces by taking ingermarland from muscovy so I could get claims. Probably just gonna kill Nov with only the 1 claim instead now. Then maybe go for Hansa with good allies.

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 03, 2014, 07:36:52 am »

Short question, am I the only one getting an insane amount of stackwipes? Surely seeing 54k Frenchmen just explode is beautiful, but especially when I am defending in good terrain my armies tend to wipe everything since tech ~25. Do you have the same experiences or am I just lucky today?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:39:10 am by Bastus »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: June 03, 2014, 07:44:35 am »

1.6 nerfed morale and discipline bonuses across the board making terrain and good generals much more important. That said great terrain (like mountains) has always swallowed stacks.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 03, 2014, 09:40:10 am »

So, does this stuff come even if I DONT own Wealth of Nations (the new dlc, might have gotten the name wrong)?

If yes, I might have not noticed it because I just started playing EU IV when it came on sale for -75% and thus basically skipped the "unbroken"-part of the game. It's a bit silly, I really enjoy the game while every vet I know tells me that the latest patch fucked it up big time.

Yeah, I also bought this at the sale, and so far I've been having a blast playing Denmark.

It was pretty infuriating at first. I hadn't yet figured the game out yet, so I made the stupid decision of attacking the Hansa, since they had my trade node, before I could or even knew of integrating my PU's. The Hansa were tiny, so I thought it would be easy. Cue several infuriating curbstomps by the combined might of the Hansa, Austria and it's ally France (who quickly blobbed and dominated the entire game). I was about to ragequit right there, since France was already unbeatable and my ally England decided to be constantly in debt for the rest of our alliance. Then I finally learned how to play the game. I did my best to avoid the alliance of facestomp, integrating my Pu's, conquering weaker countries to get their tradepoints and focusing on colonization.

I had hit the 1500's, when I decided to get my revenge on the Hansa, who had swallowed up the neighboring OPM's. The Hansa were allied with someone outside the HRE (can't remember who), so I declared war on their ally and proceeded to curbstomp them with the help of England (who were finally out of dept), Brandenburg and Bohemia, completely ignoring their ally. I couldn't annex them in one war, so I took as much land as possible, giving some of it to my allies. England, who had been given a province, suddenly decided it wanted my everything, cancelled the alliance and allied with the Hansa. England at that stage was pathetic. No navy whatsoever, a smaller army than me and completely trapped on the isles. I laughed gleefully and declared war on them. Ignoring them entirely, again, and taking everything but Lubeck itself (and snatching up England's only colony in the process).

Cue protestantism. I have the second best navy in the world (after the Ottomans). I am the dominant trade power in the north, the Hansa does not exist. I am the only colonial power in North America (England and France have only discovered one province in america, which I own. No colonizing for them.) I am allied with France. I have built a March on the only land route into Denmark (Holstein), so winning an offensive war against me is almost impossible, and I have enough soldiers to make even Austria reconsider taking back my german provinces. I have more money than god (but not more than France), and I am well on my way to start outpacing everyone in economic power. Oh, and I'm a great power, and I've united scandinavia.

I love this game.

Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 03, 2014, 11:01:16 am »

If you're trying to have a useful ally in Europe at the early game, do not pick the UK. They'll be practically useless up till after the war of roses, honestly. And even still pretty useless after that. Always ally France and Austria at the beginning of a Europe game, Hungary or Castille works too. But mainly Austria and France.

Also protestant is so OP that they literally throw money at you once you convert. Now that's balance.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 03, 2014, 11:09:17 am »

Haven't they always thrown money at you when you convert? Or at least, I've never converted in a version where they didn't...
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 03, 2014, 11:13:25 am »

I imagine protestants gaining money when converting is meant to simulate the Dissolution of the Monasteries (although that was more unique to England than the rest of Europe). Gameplay wise it's meant to help protestants survive against catholic aggression although that is more of a holdover from eu3. The massive bonus you get to when first converting in 1.6 really makes all that irrelevant.

If anything Reformed is the new OP [christian] religion. It's ridiculously easy to gain more than +5% ferver a month which means you can uphold a single policy without any downsides. The military policy conveys a stupidly large boost to morale as well.
With the new tolerance mechanic you can even completely avoid converting heretic provinces but I found that way too boring. It also doesn't make much sense as the reformed movement was often less tolerant to heretics than most protestant churches.

With that out of the way Hinduism with Shiva is likely the new power-gamer's dream. I can't wait for someone to form Hindu Ottoman HRE (although Mughal seems more likely).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 11:19:35 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: June 03, 2014, 02:25:21 pm »

So, does this stuff come even if I DONT own Wealth of Nations (the new dlc, might have gotten the name wrong)?

If yes, I might have not noticed it because I just started playing EU IV when it came on sale for -75% and thus basically skipped the "unbroken"-part of the game. It's a bit silly, I really enjoy the game while every vet I know tells me that the latest patch fucked it up big time.

Yeah, I also bought this at the sale, and so far I've been having a blast playing Denmark.

It was pretty infuriating at first. I hadn't yet figured the game out yet, so I made the stupid decision of attacking the Hansa, since they had my trade node, before I could or even knew of integrating my PU's. The Hansa were tiny, so I thought it would be easy. Cue several infuriating curbstomps by the combined might of the Hansa, Austria and it's ally France (who quickly blobbed and dominated the entire game). I was about to ragequit right there, since France was already unbeatable and my ally England decided to be constantly in debt for the rest of our alliance. Then I finally learned how to play the game. I did my best to avoid the alliance of facestomp, integrating my Pu's, conquering weaker countries to get their tradepoints and focusing on colonization.

I had hit the 1500's, when I decided to get my revenge on the Hansa, who had swallowed up the neighboring OPM's. The Hansa were allied with someone outside the HRE (can't remember who), so I declared war on their ally and proceeded to curbstomp them with the help of England (who were finally out of dept), Brandenburg and Bohemia, completely ignoring their ally. I couldn't annex them in one war, so I took as much land as possible, giving some of it to my allies. England, who had been given a province, suddenly decided it wanted my everything, cancelled the alliance and allied with the Hansa. England at that stage was pathetic. No navy whatsoever, a smaller army than me and completely trapped on the isles. I laughed gleefully and declared war on them. Ignoring them entirely, again, and taking everything but Lubeck itself (and snatching up England's only colony in the process).

Cue protestantism. I have the second best navy in the world (after the Ottomans). I am the dominant trade power in the north, the Hansa does not exist. I am the only colonial power in North America (England and France have only discovered one province in america, which I own. No colonizing for them.) I am allied with France. I have built a March on the only land route into Denmark (Holstein), so winning an offensive war against me is almost impossible, and I have enough soldiers to make even Austria reconsider taking back my german provinces. I have more money than god (but not more than France), and I am well on my way to start outpacing everyone in economic power. Oh, and I'm a great power, and I've united scandinavia.

I love this game.

Denmark and Poland are my favorite nations. I'm currently attempting to do a half world conquest, even with the stupid new rules. I was doing good until Muscovy, allied to the Livonian Order who I attacked, roflstomped me. Did manage to eat the rest of the 2PM
Teutons but lost Gotland Osterbotten and Reval. I got Papal Controller on game start which is crazy powerful for Denmark. Then I lost it but now I've regained it. Its about 1460 and I integrated all my shit, at massive dip point cost, and ate 3 Teuton provinces, and one or two Livonian ones. I'm hoping to take the rest of Novogord and either get revenge on Russians or push into the Hansa now that I have allies to fight Austria. I'm going for Admin and Expansion ideas in order to get that incredible coring cost reduction policy. 40% plus 25% on claims even though claims are really only 10% for speed of coring. Then I'm grabbing naval to destroy England and then trade for monies. I probably should take a military idea but with my NT bonus, plus and another +1 for the naval plus adm and naval plus dip policies, my ships shall conquer the world. I do kinda wanna get innovative though. Reduce my NT per year drop.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 216