Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461645 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1200 on: May 30, 2014, 02:32:13 am »

I actually wonder if any EU IV players have ever bothered with a small, spread-out standing army at any other time than when at war or when there is a rebellion? It'll cost you in upkeep, but isn't rebellion risk linked to mobilized, yet stationed forces in some way? But it was easier as an all or nothing thing before (because rebellions were manageable as an on/off event on raising troops?)

Then the first rebel stack to appear will wipe all those 'small, spread-out standing army's since you didn't put your troops into groups of doomstacks as is appropriate in the EU4 universe.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: May 30, 2014, 02:39:01 am »

@EnigmaHat
Raymond Feist's Krondor series has some from memory that magically bring everything they need with them (from memory. I'm pretty sure mercs bailed them out in a seige or battle or something. Then went, "thanks for the gold!" and disappeared).

Game of Thrones (television series, not sure how the books handle it) auto-magically support 10,000 men traveling hundreds of miles for another (Daniris's army of Unsullied and Second Sons, possibly the Golden Company or whatever later as well, I'll have to do some reading). No one knows what they eat, but apparently they carry it where their nuts used to be. Or it's an invisible supply line or something.
It's a game. Have fun.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: May 30, 2014, 02:44:06 am »

Looks like the rebels from Victoria 2 1.00 have moved to a new location.
._.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: May 30, 2014, 03:08:12 am »

Then the first rebel stack to appear will wipe all those 'small, spread-out standing army's since you didn't put your troops into groups of doomstacks as is appropriate in the EU4 universe.
This. Plus, small stacks are useless in lowering RR. Now that it's generated mostly by Nationalism (which is a minimal RR), a 20k stacks only lower it by 2 !

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: May 30, 2014, 03:37:00 am »

Because regardless of fictional fantasy novels, mercenary forces of any reasonable size were always integrated directly into the military forces of any realm. The military administration of that realm, including their supply lines, food, stationing areas/barracks and armourers were all used by historical mercenaries.

So yeah. Force limit.
What fantasy novels are you reading that feature mercenaries?  I've read quite a few and can't think of a single one where they had any notable relevance.  The best I got is a Fire Emblem game.  And a threat in a Discworld novel that was never realized.

"Looks like the Guild bungled. Now we're fighting on opposite sides."

That's why you don't split up a mercenary band by using a silly thing like a guild. XD

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: May 30, 2014, 04:34:42 am »

What fantasy novels are you reading that feature mercenaries?  I've read quite a few and can't think of a single one where they had any notable relevance.  The best I got is a Fire Emblem game.  And a threat in a Discworld novel that was never realized.
I don't read fantasy (not much anyway), but off the top of my head I can remember 3 sci-fi books with mercenaries:
  • The General series (which is basically British Raj meets Byzantine Empire. With dogs instead of horses for some reason) depicts mercenaries as being semi-integrated (which causes more admin problems for the protagonist, not less).
  • the Hammers Slammers series (which is about a band of mercenaries) depicts them running on their own equipment. Then again, most places in the setting don't even have militaries for you to mooch off of.
  • The Vorkosigan Saga (which is the one I whole heatedly recommend) doesn't much focus on how the mercenary fleet is supplied, but it is implied they just buy stuff. With money. (money they get from a major government secretly funding them... it's hard to explain- read the books, you won't regret it.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1206 on: May 30, 2014, 05:45:13 am »

Oh man the UI improvements... oh thank you.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: May 30, 2014, 07:02:13 am »

1.6 has been pretty bittersweet for me. The expansion is fantastic (although trade companies could actually do something) but I have no idea what paradox was thinking with the patch changes. Rebels are ridiculous, nationalism is fucking stupid and the AE generated is insane (apparently nations of a different religion not generating as much AE was a bug? Fuck off.) Vassals and PU are also worthless now. To cap off all the nonsense- hordes cannot form their conquest nations (Qing, Mughal) without reforming first, what kind of lobotomised fool thought that up? They were already underperforming compared to their historical counterparts.

It seems like Paradox just balanced everything of their MP game instead of bothering to read user input. There are so many design flaws that I can't believe any slow, deaf and dumb beta tester could miss. Apparently having to use "harsh treatment" on every conquered province instead of strategically using it on troublesome provinces is an improvement.  :-\ 

I'm also having problems with mods. Mods that normally worked without any problems (which shouldn't have been affected by the patch at all) are all crashing to desktop. My little music mod now CTD without any errors when it worked 100% perfectly before the patch.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: May 30, 2014, 08:51:22 am »

I'm glad they nerfed vassal eating if they did; on the scale it was being done by players it felt madly ahistorical.

I haven't bought the game yet, but I've seen the gameplay and as it's apparently 75% off on Steam until the 2nd, I will be grabbing it tonight. :)

Also, are there any player - made converters? In case I don't have to pay an extra £5 for the official one. ^_^

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: May 30, 2014, 10:04:36 am »

I can't comment on the total quality of the new expansion -- I can't play EU4 long enough to get to the interesting parts of the new DLC. It's still a broken, sit-and-watch-nothing simulator now with all the ridiculous rebel issues of unpatched CK2. I've turned down rebel and RR numbers across the board, might be more fun to actually play..
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:21:55 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: May 30, 2014, 10:20:17 am »

Paradox are stupid assholes and they should feel like stupid assholes. This is the dumbest patch in their history of ridiculously shitty patches. Rebels are nuts, annexation nerf is stupid, and if PUs work the same that's dumb also. No amount of quality changes make up for the new AE and rebel bullshit. I took like 3 provinces from Provence-Lorraine as Burgundy and shit started going down. After a while I cheated a bit to max out Administration and even with ridiculously cheap mercs I still couldn't handle the rebels. Much less the punitive war.

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: May 30, 2014, 11:01:53 am »

I can understand why people are against the change intoduced by 1.6, but a few really over react.
Making Diplo-Annexing costing diplo-points is nothing gamebreaking. If you are not a colonial nation you often had more of these than you could ever use. And even if you are one of them you normally don't have so many vassals that it is really hurting you. PU's on the other hand are actually broken at the moment. The sheer amount of points you need to invest over a a few years just cripples a lot of additional expansion as you can't spare the diplo-points.
To AE I don't know what you do, but as long you stay relatively close to you wargoal the impacts are manageable (excepts for PU, again). You just aren't able to grab land from evry member of the war.
Nationalism is something I wanted and just needs to be toned down a bit and perhaps rework the way it works by conquering same culture provinces.
Rebels are the only real problem I have at the moment, they AI isn't able to deal with them. If you want to see something funny start in observer mode and watch the hordes.

Well, there seems to be a hotfix coming, hopefully it will tackle the problems.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:09:31 am by Bastus »

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 30, 2014, 11:21:10 am »

I can understand why people are against the change intoduced by 1.6, but a few really over react.
Making Diplo-Annexing costing diplo-points is nothing gamebreaking. If you are not a colonial nation you often had more of these than you could ever use. And even if you are one of them you normally don't have so many vassals that it is really hurting you. PU's on the other hand are actually broken at the moment. The sheer amount of points you need to invest over a a few years just cripples a lot of additional expansion as you can't spare the diplo-points.
To AE I don't know what you do, but as long you stay relatively close to you wargoal the impacts are manageable (excepts for PU, again). You just aren't able to grab land from evry member of the war.
Nationalism is something I wanted and just needs to be toned down a bit and perhaps rework the way it works by conquering same culture provinces.
Rebels are the only real problem I have at the moment, they AI isn't able to deal with them. If you want to see something funny start in observer mode and watch the hordes.

Well, there seems to be a hotfix coming, hopefully it will tackle the problems.

If you're western tech you usually had too much dip points, per usual, the lower techs got the short end of the stick.

Though I do also think people are overacting a bit. (though the PI forums always do nothing but whine so its pretty much business as usual for them.)

The biggest example I can think of is the Black Company, entire fantasy series focused on a mercenary company. Though I can't remember any times where they mentioned how they got their supplies...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:25:37 am by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: May 30, 2014, 12:14:51 pm »

Here's the thing though -- counterbalancing the negative effects of nationalism is the fact that core-creation has been speeded up tenfold. We're talking 18 months instead of 13 YEARS.

That, or it just doesn't take the size of your empire into account anymore, so world conquest is a thing again. You just have to deal with ethnic uprisings or find a way to placate your new subjects. Which seems legit to me.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 30, 2014, 12:16:26 pm »

That, or it just doesn't take the size of your empire into account anymore, so world conquest is a thing again. You just have to deal with ethnic uprisings or find a way to placate your new subjects. Which seems legit to me.

Naw, it does. In the defines. I just change the number to '0' because its a stupid, stupid 'feature'.

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 216