Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461675 times)

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1170 on: April 25, 2014, 02:13:26 pm »

No, it's hardly about "balance" for achievements. To begin with, Lucky Nations long predates the implementation of achievements.

Right. But is anyone here seriously saying that having the option for lucky nations is a bad thing? I thought the only serious arguments against it were caused by the fact that ironman, the achievement getting mode, locks it in. So yeah, saying that it's there for balance for achievements seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Lucky Nations does little to nothing to stop the player from defeating a lucky AI nation. It just means that in contests between the AI, the lucky nations will almost always win. The AI's ability to plan and fight wars is so poor that lucky nations is basically irrelevant.

Anyway, I don't play EU4, just EU3 (I mean, I have played EU4, but then I went back to EU3). So maybe something has change that I did not notice? In EU3 saying that lucky nations always win is totally untrue. It's not even that huge of a advantage. Now, perhaps something in the balanced has changed between 3 and 4, but looking it up the bonuses from being lucky don't really seem to be that much more. And I sorta am doubting the game is different enough for it to actually matter THAT much.

Also it seems a little disingenuous to say that the lucky bonus is huge enough that in a AI vs AI fight the lucky AI almost always win, and in the next sentence and paragraph go on about how the lucky bonus means so little. I'm not sure what you even think about lucky nations, whether they are too strong or too weak. (Although I would guess by the fact that you seem to dislike it having a effect on your game you think it is too strong?)

Lucky nations are much, much more powerful that non-lucky ones. the reason is not the bonuses, but the fact that all their monarchs are demigods (rarely worse that 5/5/5, and probably 6/6/5 or something like that). That gives them more monarch points that they can expend,
thus giving them top noch tech and more buildings. Also, the generls of lucky nations are gods as well.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 25, 2014, 03:55:56 pm »

Okay so. Maybe the wiki I am reading is wrong. But it says their rulers get +1 to each stat. So when a lucky nation gets a 6/6/5 guy, that means they would have gotten a 5/5/4 guy. When they get a 5/5/5 guy that means they would have gotten a 4/4/4 guy.

When they would have gotten a 1/1/1 guy they instead get a 2/2/2 guy.

Although this is certainly. Like. A pretty big advantage. Especially over the long term. It doesn't seem huge to me. It's not like they always get impossibly good leaders. I mean, unless my source is wrong on that?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:57:46 pm by Criptfeind »

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #1172 on: April 25, 2014, 04:03:55 pm »

If I understood it right, increasing diplomacy tech makes having ships more expensive, which is weird. Now I have max diplomacy points and nothing to use them on because I dont want to lose money. Or what does the +10 naval maintenance mean?
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 25, 2014, 04:10:20 pm »

Yes, ships do get more expensive. I believe the maintenance increases at the same levels that new ships are unlocked, so you're paying for more trade and combat ability.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 25, 2014, 04:10:33 pm »

If I understood it right, increasing diplomacy tech makes having ships more expensive, which is weird. Now I have max diplomacy points and nothing to use them on because I dont want to lose money. Or what does the +10 naval maintenance mean?

It does increase maintenance, but its fairly negligible. And since dip tech also increases your trade efficiency and trade power (better light ship models give more trade power while protecting) you would hafta to have a large navy and yet not be guarding trade for some reason to really lose money.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 25, 2014, 04:10:36 pm »

It does that, but very few of the tech-ups actually increase your naval maintenance? It's more than worth it to increase your diplomatic technology, I don't see how you think you could survive without increasing it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 25, 2014, 04:17:09 pm »

It does that, but very few of the tech-ups actually increase your naval maintenance? It's more than worth it to increase your diplomatic technology, I don't see how you think you could survive without increasing it.

Simple, just carve out a nice little empire with no seas around, and defend it. YOU HAVE SURVIVED. CONGLATURBATIONS!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 25, 2014, 05:28:55 pm »

Okay so. Maybe the wiki I am reading is wrong. But it says their rulers get +1 to each stat. So when a lucky nation gets a 6/6/5 guy, that means they would have gotten a 5/5/4 guy. When they get a 5/5/5 guy that means they would have gotten a 4/4/4 guy.

When they would have gotten a 1/1/1 guy they instead get a 2/2/2 guy.

Although this is certainly. Like. A pretty big advantage. Especially over the long term. It doesn't seem huge to me. It's not like they always get impossibly good leaders. I mean, unless my source is wrong on that?
Just to put in perspective the actual difference, +1 to all stats will give the AI, assuming you play from the beginning to the end of the game's timeline, give it a total of 4514 more points each for military, diplo, and admin. For 10 years, 120 points. It's a noticeable advantage both short and long term. Note, the beginning-end value might be a little off (I'm not sure if it applies the point bonus retroactively to starting rulers) but either way the points will be hovering around 4K even if an AI starts with a 20-year old ruler without the bonus that lives for 50 years.

Another thing to remember, is the Yearly Republican Tradition +1. Considering republics re-electing takes 10 Rep. Tradition, this means that Lucky republics can potentially frequently get great doges. Heck, assuming one lives long enough, you could even see ones that reach the godlike 6/6/6 values. Granted, the AI isn't likely to make use of that as the chance of getting a republican AI isn't very high, but the point remains.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #1178 on: April 26, 2014, 06:11:02 am »

So I dismissed few of those banner events by right clicking. How do I get them back? And whats the difference when you shift + right click them away? (disable)

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently you can make the disabled banner events appear in the list on the right and enable them from there, while dismissed return when you save and load.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:57:59 am by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 29, 2014, 09:44:58 am »

Spoiler: big image (click to show/hide)
Err... if you say so Austria.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: April 29, 2014, 01:31:33 pm »

Obviously after seeing you survive the Ottomans Austria realized your true might and decided you were worthy of being an elector.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 29, 2014, 04:35:06 pm »

Spoiler: big image (click to show/hide)
Tables have turned, Mr Habsblob. Thanks for helping me become emperor and beating back the turks. I'm positive you won't regret it in the future.

EDIT: Are people alright with me posting these huge pictures? I could link them if it's more convenient.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:39:57 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 29, 2014, 04:40:42 pm »

Culture shift to greek then reform the HRE then restore the ERE then dance in your dual emperor hats.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 29, 2014, 04:59:25 pm »

I did consider culture converting (if only for the Purple Phoenix missions/events) but where's the glory for Albania in that? The true mission is to remove all kebab and tafelspitz from premises. Why recreate Rome when you can sack it?

Unfortunately this isn't ironman mode. I was trying out some starting strategies to survive as Albania and had an amazingly lucky start and decided to just roll with. It gave me the opportunity to test out some tricks. Still without reloading nor cheating I think it's still a decent effort.

If you want to try and emulate an Albanian empire I think this method I stumbled across works the best.
1) reload the game until Naples is not hostile with you (diplomatic ruler).
2) get military access with Naples and cheese DOW on Urbino.
3) Scorch Albania and ferry men across to Italy (keeping a single man behind to re-scorch every year).
4) Defeat Urbino with your god-general and great rolls.
5) Annex Urbino and continue to scorch Albania until warscore with Ottomans goes positive.
6) Call for peace and revoke Ottoman core on Albania, core and move capital to Urbino, join the HRE.
Venice will likely DOW on you at some point but can be defeated with the same scorching tactic. Finding a strong ally (like Austria) will allow you to easily survive and expand at your leisure. I would highly recommend staying in the HRE for the great modifiers, protection and faster expansion against other members.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 05:14:35 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: May 01, 2014, 01:33:15 am »

Having some fun fiddling with alternate history. I force released Guyenne as England, tag siwtched. and then conquered the 3 basque provinces.

Then I conquered all of souther france to Savoy. So now Granada owns all of portugal and castile and I have all of Aragon as a vassal except all the islands are owned by a 6 province sicily. Brittany conquered all of northern france, they got the burgundy lands too. Flanders has all of the northern parts of burgundy.

Even though its kinda early I'm tempted to just conquer savoy, diplo vassalize aragon, I conquered it but released as a vassal to save on coring, and build up my nation, trying to protect flanders and brittany as my allies. Maybe fiddle around to get some other alt historyish nations built and stabilized. Then maybe just sit back and see if the game corrects itself.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 216