Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461816 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1080 on: January 24, 2014, 11:01:50 am »

With the latest expansion and a randomized new world, a friend and I are having a blast playing as natives. No mods or cheats, we're playing as Maya (me) and Aztec (him). He currently controls the curia and we're both good westernized catholic nations. Mayan Louisiana is a thriving colony, and my best friend in the world is Castille who is currently massive.

We're 200 years in now and we're the top two nations in the New World and can actually meet the larger countries in battle on equal terms. My troops have 125% discipline, which seems to be a tremendous advantage and I can cut through other native american nations like a chainsaw through a moderately large shrubbery. I dominate the trade in two of the three major new world trade nodes currently, and he controls the other one.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 24, 2014, 12:22:03 pm »

Have you consider that Paradox isnt making a world conquest game?

Have you considered that you can make a world conquest possible without focusing the entire game on it or forcing players who don't want to do it to do it?

[rest omitted for length sakes]

Ok, first off, cool down. We're not on paradox forums, so no need to bring the unhealthy rants from there here.

Second off, the priority of the game is a Historical Simulation, which should make a world conquest nearly impossible (they keep plugging holes that are found to make it easier, with the most recent casualty being vassal feeding)

The purpose of overextension is to simulate the fact that you really cannot take significant amounts of territory and hold onto it easily, and if you have a problem with it the EU4 simply is not your game. I recommend EU3, which is much more forgiving in giving you the ability to conquer.

As to your other complaints: if you really hate patch 1.4 (which is what reduced your ability to map paint) then stop complaining about it here and just revert to the previous patch. No one is forcing you to use patch 1.4 .

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 24, 2014, 01:26:10 pm »

Get bent. I didn't start a fight, Mr. Wiggles did with his sarcasm and blatant condescension. If you want the conversation to stay an arbitrary definition of polite, then you should be complaining about his trolling rather than my reaction to it.

As far as the Paradox forums, I don't care about your hard on for trashing them, that's your issue. I mentioned them because that's where you find the best examples of how the optimal way to play EU4 is with blatant cheese like Orthodox Ottoman HRE abuse.

If you read the Paradox forums you would know that the game is not primarily a historical simulator. And if it were it would be a terrible one. They nerfed vassal feeding because Johan wants the game to be about conquest and because tons of people complained on the forums about it. Complaining on forums is one of the primary ways to change the game. Although if that was the goal the Paradox forums would be the optimal place to do it. In fact they gave a large buff, large being a relative term here, to direct conquest by dropping AE scaling for larger nations. Coalitions were basically totally nerfed, thanks mainly to bitching by people on the Paradox forums about how anti-fun they were.

Your argument about overextension is ridiculously contradictory. You first claim that EU4 is a historical simulator and then claim overextension makes sense. In fact overextension is perhaps the second most unhistoric mechanic in the game after Protectorates. Also, you can world conquest easily since Protectorates count for the purpose of world conquest but protectorates ruin the historical simulation argument because that's not how India was conquered. Which they are sort of but not really changing in the new DLC about trading companies. And of course the British Raj ruled India as vassal states for a long time after the Companies were dissolved.

The Core and OE systems are actually immensely unhistoric. Please explain where in history you could spend 8 years doing some abstract thingamajiggy and suddenly that province will not longer ever rebel ever? Ridiculous no? Also accepted culture is non-historic as well, such as my Danish empire losing Norwegian as an accepted culture.

The reason world conquest is possible in EU4 is that over a 400 year period the same person with the same goals, and extremely gamey/cheesy goals at that, rules a country. No amount of mechanic change will fix this. Furthermore if we really look at history we see that a lot of stuff was dependent on a ton of other stuff. EU4 loses its status as a history focused game as soon as the first 10 or so years are over.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1083 on: January 24, 2014, 01:48:53 pm »

How does getting core = never ever rebel? Because these fucking cherokee... I tell you man these fucking cherokee... I am close to just saying fuck it you can have your goddamn single tax base 1 province. Every 5-7 years its "Hey guys guess what? 27 fucking cherokee units that's what! yay!"

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 24, 2014, 01:53:18 pm »

I almost never get rebels outside of incredible overextension penalties in my major provinces, whereas uncored province spawn rebels often. Even with +8 rebel penalty you need different religion different non-accepted culture provinces to get rebels. Aside from overextending giving +10 RR after the coring process provinces are basically yours forever at full productive capacity. Also of note, vassals and PUs and protectorates have never ever ever rebelled or thrown off my leadership, thus putting another nail in the EU games are about history simulation coffin.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1085 on: January 24, 2014, 02:02:07 pm »

I don't have overextension. As I recall you get overextension if you haven't cored the province. All of my provinces are cored, OE is at 0% as it always is. I'm not trying to take over the world.

I have a cherokee province. They are NOT an accepted culture but they are the same religion. I have all of the revolt reducing buildings I can currently build in the province. I have a small garrison stationed there because this is, seriously, a recurring thing. I think the cherokee just fucking hate me. The zapotec? Gone. Happy. Accepted culture. Never rebelled. Rolled over after one siege and a blockade in fact. Choctaw? Gone. Not an accepted culture, but never a peep have I heard from them.

Cherokee province shows NEGATIVE revolt risk. Guess what? 26 more units yay! The people's republic liberation army of the cherokee nation? Maybe another nation is funding them? Because they are a pain in the ass.

Also, my opinion: Any discussion of whether these mechanics make sense in a historical or realistic sense is ridiculous and serves no purpose. This is a game about playing around in a historical setting, but anything that happens once you start the game is 100% ahistorical. The Aztec controls the curia in my game, for god's sake. The mayans are a major trade power and a peer to castille. You cannot call this game anything but an ahistorical simulation of the medieval world.

Also: I did not know unhistorical was a common word. I have always used ahistorical. Neat.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 02:07:11 pm by forsaken1111 »

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 24, 2014, 03:01:44 pm »

Get bent. I didn't start a fight, Mr. Wiggles did with his sarcasm and blatant condescension.

To be honest, I just saw Mr. Wiggles pointing out one thing and your extreme overreaction, but I guess that opinions can vary.

As far as the Paradox forums, I don't care about your hard on for trashing them, that's your issue. I mentioned them because that's where you find the best examples of how the optimal way to play EU4 is with blatant cheese like Orthodox Ottoman HRE abuse.

When have I ever talked down on paradox forums outside my last post? And I was mostly commentating that virtually half of the threads on the forum are complaining about various features paradox has implemented/patched/not fixed/not implemented.

If you read the Paradox forums you would know that the game is not primarily a historical simulator. And if it were it would be a terrible one. They nerfed vassal feeding because Johan wants the game to be about conquest and because tons of people complained on the forums about it. Complaining on forums is one of the primary ways to change the game. Although if that was the goal the Paradox forums would be the optimal place to do it. In fact they gave a large buff, large being a relative term here, to direct conquest by dropping AE scaling for larger nations. Coalitions were basically totally nerfed, thanks mainly to bitching by people on the Paradox forums about how anti-fun they were.

Actually, I spend more time on Paradox forums than these forums these days. I am well aware of how it looks and the purpose of the complaint threads. I am also aware that they are going to be re-buffing AE in local regions due to the fact that nations were barely receiving any lasting AE, so the only coalitions were small OPMs.

Your argument about overextension is ridiculously contradictory. You first claim that EU4 is a historical simulator and then claim overextension makes sense. In fact overextension is perhaps the second most unhistoric mechanic in the game after Protectorates. Also, you can world conquest easily since Protectorates count for the purpose of world conquest but protectorates ruin the historical simulation argument because that's not how India was conquered. Which they are sort of but not really changing in the new DLC about trading companies. And of course the British Raj ruled India as vassal states for a long time after the Companies were dissolved.

While I disagree that OE is very unhistoric (administratively integrating new territory does take time, and puts strain on your remaining administration in the meantime) I can understand your sentiments that this is not expressed very well (since cores are treated as right to rule and established administration at the same time).

And protectorates are a fairly decent at simulating how Spain annexed the Aztec, Maya, and Inca, though ideally you would be able to annex them too, so I have little objection to them.

The Core and OE systems are actually immensely unhistoric. Please explain where in history you could spend 8 years doing some abstract thingamajiggy and suddenly that province will not longer ever rebel ever? Ridiculous no? Also accepted culture is non-historic as well, such as my Danish empire losing Norwegian as an accepted culture.

While I admit that it is true that cores are very unhistorical compared to what I would prefer (a population level acceptance of rule, combined with a method of wide scale revolts to free countries), I accept it as one of the concessions that had to be made because the focus of the game era (Exploration, Trade, and Global Hegemony) makes it impractical to take a more in-depth look on population in the initial release, though I hope that this will eventually be rectified.

Additionally, nothing is wrong with losing accepted cultures at the point that they are not relevant for keeping your nation stable. IRL Denmark also treated Norway poorly exactly because they lacked the manpower and wealth to resist Denmark at a meaningful level.

The reason world conquest is possible in EU4 is that over a 400 year period the same person with the same goals, and extremely gamey/cheesy goals at that, rules a country. No amount of mechanic change will fix this. Furthermore if we really look at history we see that a lot of stuff was dependent on a ton of other stuff. EU4 loses its status as a history focused game as soon as the first 10 or so years are over.

I will have to clarify: I see it as a historic simulator, not a simulation of actual history. I can play EU2 if I really want more historic worlds, and read a history book for direct history results.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 24, 2014, 03:03:33 pm »

IMO they're addressing it the wrong way. Making conquest harder, not less enjoyable.

Not that I care, CK2 FTW :p

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 24, 2014, 03:07:23 pm »

Have you considered that you can make a world conquest possible without focusing the entire game on it or forcing players who don't want to do it to do it?

Ok, first off, cool down. We're not on paradox forums, so no need to bring the unhealthy rants from there here.

Second off, the priority of the game is a Historical Simulation, which should make a world conquest nearly impossible (they keep plugging holes that are found to make it easier, with the most recent casualty being vassal feeding)

The purpose of overextension is to simulate the fact that you really cannot take significant amounts of territory and hold onto it easily, and if you have a problem with it the EU4 simply is not your game. I recommend EU3, which is much more forgiving in giving you the ability to conquer.

As to your other complaints: if you really hate patch 1.4 (which is what reduced your ability to map paint) then stop complaining about it here and just revert to the previous patch. No one is forcing you to use patch 1.4 .

Wasn't the priority of EU3 also historical simulation? Hasn't the world been on the brink of of world conquest before in actual history? Aren't you playing as some sort of immortal mind controlling the nation for centuries? You seem to have no justification to assert how EU4 should be played or designed.

Was there a poll for this or something before they patched the game? Because the reason for patching it should not just be (we wanted to make it harder). It should have some sort of historical reference or appeal tot he community.

Also, for your last sentence, it's like me saying "Well if you don't like exploit X, don't use it. No need to patch it out and cause hassle to people"

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 24, 2014, 03:25:36 pm »

Wasn't the priority of EU3 also historical simulation? Hasn't the world been on the brink of of world conquest before in actual history? Aren't you playing as some sort of immortal mind controlling the nation for centuries? You seem to have no justification to assert how EU4 should be played or designed.

Was there a poll for this or something before they patched the game? Because the reason for patching it should not just be (we wanted to make it harder). It should have some sort of historical reference or appeal tot he community.

Also, for your last sentence, it's like me saying "Well if you don't like exploit X, don't use it. No need to patch it out and cause hassle to people"

EU3's goal was historical simulation, and it did this to a degree. The primary issue that arose though was that every nation was the same except for some small modifiers, detracting somewhat from historical progression. The end result was the idea system in EU4.

Technically, Vassal Feeding was actually supposed to be removed all the way back in Patch 1.2, but a bug broke prevented this change from being implemented. Patch 1.4 fixed this bug and caused this storm to happen.

And my last sentence was the recommendation I had since MoLAoS was complaining about the changes in Patch 1.4, clearly preferring patch 1.3.2 over it. In hindsight I did come off as offensive, and I overreacted in my response.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1090 on: January 24, 2014, 03:27:50 pm »

Can someone explain what vassel feeding is?

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 24, 2014, 03:30:01 pm »

You vassalize someone and then give them provinces to core for you so you can avoid the overextension, and then annex them to get free cores which you suffered no overextension for.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 24, 2014, 03:34:35 pm »

You vassalize someone and then give them provinces to core for you so you can avoid the overextension, and then annex them to get free cores which you suffered no overextension for.
Not just overextention, but also the admin point cost, and in the case of returning cores your vassals already have, avoiding AE.

Vassal feeding is far less straightforward compared to coring yourself, especially with the latest patch, but it is still far easier on your nation than coring yourself.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1093 on: January 24, 2014, 03:36:45 pm »

Hm. I must be expanding much slower than most people do.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: January 24, 2014, 03:39:16 pm »

It's hard to tell how many people vassal feed and, more importantly, to what extent.

So compared to the most dedicated cheesers/conquerers, yes, you are expanding much slower. Compared to the average? Hard to say.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 216