Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space Program - Logistics & Info  (Read 51881 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space Program - Logistics & Info
« Reply #300 on: August 26, 2012, 05:39:12 am »

EDIT: Actually, Olympus Mons Is a bad location. It stands in one of the dustied places on Mars.

What syndrome does the dust carry? If its just dizziness we can deal with it.
That and landing on the highest mountain of the entire solar system (?) is just plain awesome.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 26, 2012, 06:35:29 am »

EDIT: Actually, Olympus Mons Is a bad location. It stands in one of the dustied places on Mars.

What syndrome does the dust carry? If its just dizziness we can deal with it.
That and landing on the highest mountain of the entire solar system (?) is just plain awesome.
-It's sticks to solar pannels, causes asbestositis and destroys cameras, computers and other important stuff
-Problem is, we're kinda relying on the athmosphere to stop. Also, Olympus Mons isn't the largest mountain in the solar system. A planetoid has a larger one. It is however, the largest volcano/mountain on a known planet.
-However, due to it's sheer size, you wouldn't even notice you're standing so high.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 26, 2012, 11:53:54 am »

the olimpus mons is the highest mountain in our solar system .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 26, 2012, 12:28:34 pm »

the olimpus mons is the highest mountain in our solar system .
It's not, not anymore. Check the wiki.  It's the tallest mountain on a planet in our solar system.

(and, after the 2011 discovery of Rheasilvia Mons on 4 Vesta, the second largest mountain on any world known to man)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 28, 2012, 09:45:15 pm »

Alright. Once we get our labs, we'll be able to collaborate on the CPU. That is, cephalopod processing unit.
This is pretty much the best plan.
Will it be able to feel pain? Because pain in a computer would have the possibility for making it a lot more useful, if we could wire up certain inputs to it feeling pain, could increase its efficiency by trying to teach it to do certain methods.

Cephalopods are cool too anyway. I mean, LOOK AT THEM.
How much pain are we talking, here? We could probably leave the pain receptors in, if having a resentful supercomputer with tentacles (probably, I have to succumb to madness sometime, and it would probably be cruel to amputate), but you'd best not be thinking of putting one of my darling creations into unbearable agony!
Oh no, nothing terribly bad, only little correctional things.
In the same way a child gets a small smack on the back of the hand when they knock over a vase or something, just throw it a token pain signal when it throws a stupid error back at you. Teach it to be more user friendly.
That should be fine.

I believe there should be an extensive system of surveillance that covers everyone at all times.

And for added awesome, it should be done with 50's technology.

[Hitler and Himmler stand in a small room. On a table there is a giant black box.]
Hitler: What is this giant black box?
Himmler: It presumably is a bug, planted by the enemy.
Hitler: Aren't we going to remove it?
Himmler: No - nobody can lift the damn thing!
I approve of cameras or something watching all of our people and public areas and restricted areas and stuff, but let's keep it modern. If we should be following ANY '50s tech, it should be the 205o's. Or 2150's, if we delay this plan long enough. (I wouldn't be surprised if we were ahead of Terra by several decades, given how much we've been planning our tech out.)

We should settle on one of the polar regions. Magma will be about as hard to get from wherever, and will therefore probably need to be manufactured, but ice contains such useful things as water. We can set up a vacation hotspot on Olympus Mons, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 29, 2012, 01:32:13 am »

Nope, landing on the polar regions is bad. Take off uses way to much fuel there. I support we search and find an underground glacier and land there.

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaughtering elves in low Earth orbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2012, 08:04:39 am »

Why do we have to land on Mars? I propose Jupiter's moon Callisto.

1. There is ice, so we have water to drink, and out of the water we can get oxygen to breathe and hydrogen for fuel.
2. It's far away, solar storms are much less powerful, and ice stops radiation very well anyway, so we can bury ourselves if needed.
3. Because it's so distant, Terran governments will have a much harder time noticing us before we take over.
4. Many moons, we have a lot of space.
5. Jupiter has a radiation belt which makes it pretty much impossible to live in the inner Jovian system (Callisto is too far away for that though, we're safe!). It's not magma, but
6. Jupiter's moon Io is very geologically active. We can get all the magma we want from there!
7. Europa, another moon, might contain life, and if it's intelligent, we can conquer two races, not one!

Therefore, I propose to land on Callisto. Also, if you need a pilot, I've got experience with that. I can lead the PILOT department. (also known as Painfully Insane Leader Of Travel)
By that logic, you shouldn't be able to play dwarves because they don't show thinking ability.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 29, 2012, 08:13:39 am »

but how many years it would take for us to get there and if we run out of resources , we cannot get quick support from terran base .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 29, 2012, 02:21:16 pm »

Good thinking with the Jupiter moons.
I think that should be a future project, and we should go to the moon first, and set up the lunar resort (and secret underneath military base) to get funds and a supply base for future missions.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 29, 2012, 02:33:38 pm »

Callisto could take up to fifteen years of travel. So, no not yet.

but how many years it would take for us to get there and if we run out of resources , we cannot get quick support from terran base .
We can never get quick support from the terran base. Flight times are going to be a year/half a year at best, and that's with minimum load and burning our engines constantly, which we don't have enough fuel for.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 29, 2012, 02:58:51 pm »

but waiting 15 years for support would be too much .

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 29, 2012, 03:02:41 pm »

So would 9 months. Really, if you can hold out that long, it's not an emergency. It's just be something extra that is needed in the shipping schedule.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 29, 2012, 04:30:56 pm »

So would 9 months. Really, if you can hold out that long, it's not an emergency. It's just be something extra that is needed in the shipping schedule.

I have had a few thoughts about the launches, due to the amount of people on the forum, we would need multiple launches to get everyone here, so why do we not stagger the launches by one month at a time?  Supplies would be arriving each month, and if there are enough people going, we could last long enough that regular launches from terran governments would arrive every month, after a period of nine months (or however long it will take) after the colony is established and communication is made.

Besides, 15 years is 300 months, and the situation would become more desperate than with nine.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 29, 2012, 04:34:51 pm »

I have had a few thoughts about the launches, due to the amount of people on the forum, we would need multiple launches to get everyone here, so why do we not stagger the launches by one month at a time?  Supplies would be arriving each month, and if there are enough people going, we could last long enough that regular launches from terran governments would arrive every month, after a period of nine months (or however long it will take) after the colony is established and communication is made.

Besides, 15 years is 300 months, and the situation would become more desperate than with nine.
Economically not viable. The current plan is to use a single orbit as a ferry between Mars and Earth. Besides, those supplies need protetion against the hostile environnement. You can't just sling them into space.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 29, 2012, 04:46:46 pm »

yes , you can .... unles i create the space raiders and kidnap your ships .
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24