Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The adventures of Urist Magellan  (Read 2843 times)

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The adventures of Urist Magellan
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:20:47 pm »

INTRODUCING URIST MAGELLAN! NECROMANCER AND FIRST DORF TO CIRCUMNAVIGATE THE WORLD!

So, I'll just lay out what's going to happen. Urist Magellan is going to find out what happens when you go to the edge of the world, and then go back to the other edge. I need to make him a necromancer so he does not tire, and obviously a legendary swimmer. Coming up later: First post in character as Urist Magellan.

The secret to crossing the ocean is this

http://www.iowa-industrial.com/Eastern-Iowa-/Metalworking-and-Production-/Shop-c-clamp-7-small-vise-for-a-machine-image-No.jpg

Seen on the left, and many, many recorded showings of the Olympics. As I watch whitewater and rowing, the most boring sports on TV sans golf, that shop clamp will hold down the arrow key. Past tests suggest that going 15 Q tiles of ocean takes an two to three hours. For this reason, Urist Magellan will stick to land as much as possible where fast travel is permissible. The route I have planned, in lieu of an accurate count, has about 122 Q tiles.This route was made slightly longer due to the fact I wanted to visit the mountainhomes and forest retreats.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The adventures of Urist Magellan
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 03:26:37 pm »

You would think a necro would find a beached whale and:

Gesture at it.
Ride it to the foreign shores.
Proclaim to be a demon posing as a god.
Bring about the zombie apocolyspe.
Use said apocolypse to become the ringmaster at the circus.

Tell me how this goes...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 05:07:27 pm »

You would think a necro would find a beached whale and:

Gesture at it.
Ride it to the foreign shores.
Proclaim to be a demon posing as a god.
Bring about the zombie apocolyspe.
Use said apocolypse to become the ringmaster at the circus.

Tell me how this goes...

That does remind me, I need to mod/find a mod that allows adventurer mounts.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 05:15:52 pm »

Not sure what happens, although I've got a 31.25 dorf with nothing better to do mapping out an entire Large world. Unfortunately, he's swimming an ocean. IT TAKES SO LONG TO GET ANYWHERE WHY DON'T WE HAVE OCEAN FAST TRAVEL BLAH. Sorry about the rant. Good luck Urist Magellan!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 05:24:09 pm »

Would it be possible to make some sort of super bridge catapult in Fortress Mode to give you a head start with the swimming? I'm not familiar with bridge-launching physics, so I have no idea how you would build it or how you would get the adventurer to survive a ride in it. Not to mention the fact that if you spent the time it took to build the thing swimming instead, you would probably get further.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 05:33:35 pm »

My mind will be BLOWN if I can ride a giant sperm whale or an equivalent. Just need to find the mod.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 05:44:59 pm »

I don't mean to be a downer, but... I'm curious as to why you want to visit the mountainhomes and the forest retreats. In vanilla DF, they aren't actually implemented to be seen and explored. They are just used in world-gen and dwarf mode.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 05:56:05 pm »

I don't mean to be a downer, but... I'm curious as to why you want to visit the mountainhomes and the forest retreats. In vanilla DF, they aren't actually implemented to be seen and explored. They are just used in world-gen and dwarf mode.

Because they're (in a very abstract fashion) THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!one!!!!!!

Description of Urist WorldCircled

"A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry

He is very skinny. His amethyst eyes are slightly protruding. His sideburns are clean-shaven. His very long moustache is neatly combed. His long beard is neatly combed. His hair is clean-shaven. His somewhat tall ears have nearly fused lobes. His lips are thick. His nose bridge is concave. His skin is pale chestnut. "

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 06:24:55 pm »

Sorry bro, you aren't the first and it isn't anything spectacular. My Ol' adventurer in .31 crossed three mountains and fed off nothin' but giant eagles before making to the edge of the world, slaughtering bogeymen and mandrills along the way. When he reached the edge, it was naught but a barrier separating the world from the world save folder.
Same in .34, but this one was much easier. Just had to walk over a tundra, and job done. The fourth wall was still blocking all attempts to cross the edge of the world.
Even then, I'm sure someone's done it before me, it's a really inconsequential thing that I guess everyone's done before and just faced too much disappointment to make the thread...

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 06:49:29 pm »

I remember when doing this type of thing had one consequence and once consequence only.

You randomly became a cavern creature. And then a different one. And then a different one.

Why does Toady ever fix the fun bugs?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 07:07:21 pm »

Sorry bro, you aren't the first and it isn't anything spectacular. My Ol' adventurer in .31 crossed three mountains and fed off nothin' but giant eagles before making to the edge of the world, slaughtering bogeymen and mandrills along the way. When he reached the edge, it was naught but a barrier separating the world from the world save folder.
Same in .34, but this one was much easier. Just had to walk over a tundra, and job done. The fourth wall was still blocking all attempts to cross the edge of the world.
Even then, I'm sure someone's done it before me, it's a really inconsequential thing that I guess everyone's done before and just faced too much disappointment to make the thread...

A large, high savage world with large beasts on high?

Curses.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 07:42:48 pm »

A large, high savage world with large beasts on high?
Adv. parameters, very low mineral count, very high savagery, max. evil interactions, bogeymen species, Titan count/species, clown species, evil rain types and so on and a very large world. Makes for good adventuring :P

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 09:42:13 pm »

Ooooohhhh..... 'beasts.'. I was really confused for a minute there.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v