Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elf siege  (Read 6054 times)

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elf siege
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:08:54 am »

In all my time playing Fortress, I never took upon myself to piss off the elves. After all, Goblin ambushes were a giant pain in the ace and I heard that elves were even bigger. Since I've made the entire landscape of the map into randomly but closely placed trap following United States military doctrine on the use of ordinance, I'm ready to challenge those pointy eared tree lovers. My question is, how many come in a siege? Can't find it anywhere.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: Elf siege
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:18:51 am »

It dosen;t matter. 95% of elves are totally useless. Only the elite bowmen are any trouble, and maybe the mounts.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

wolfwood296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:56:56 am »

and i don't think you can mad leves or human made unless you give them diplomats
I've asked Uristeamer to begin investigating his duck's ability to eat a fully grown dwarf.- quote from broseph stalin

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:00:30 am »

I've been offering their merchants wooden trade goods and then killing all but one to go spread the word (my own superstition, probably doesn't do anything), to try and get them to get out here.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:11:19 am »

I've been offering their merchants wooden trade goods and then killing all but one to go spread the word (my own superstition, probably doesn't do anything), to try and get them to get out here.
Doesn't work IIRC. Only killing the diplomat will piss them off enough to start a war.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

wolfwood296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 01:12:23 am »

Doesn't work IIRC. Only killing the diplomat will piss them off enough to start a war.
point for me  :P

how do you turn diplomats on?
I've asked Uristeamer to begin investigating his duck's ability to eat a fully grown dwarf.- quote from broseph stalin

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:14:28 am »

point for me  :P

how do you turn diplomats on?

DFHack

:P

In all seriousness, how many come in their siege waves?

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 01:16:22 am »

Just piss everything off matey. Srsly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 03:01:37 am »

In all seriousness, how many come in their siege waves?
Varies, but they all come ambushing so you can never really tell.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 06:46:02 am »

fixdiplomats
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 07:01:33 am »

Offering the elves wooden goods repeatedly makes them angry enough to send ambushes your way. Humans get pissed off when you go bandit on their caravans.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 07:44:31 am »

Not true - messing with their caravans (offending them, stealing their goods, or destroying them outright) will make them angry, but it'll take a while to offset all of the happiness they've gained from prior successful caravan visits. Killing a diplomat just happens to give them a very big happiness penalty which is typically enough to start a war.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 07:45:59 am »

I don't know about elves, but a Goblin siege took out a whole caravan except the diplomat, and my next siege was human.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 08:08:49 am »

Interestingly, that's less effective at getting them angry - if you want to get the maximum penalty, you must ensure that either they "were never heard from again" (i.e. kill them all) or that they "suffered great hardships" (i.e. kill/injure some of them) and either "reported a seizure of goods" (seize stuff) or "reported irregularities with their goods" (e.g. deconstruct the depot). Offering them wooden items will actually make them less angry than stealing their goods (though if you do both, they'll only report the theft).

Different historical events have inter-civilization happiness modifiers - a worst-case merchant visit ("never heard from again") gives -12 (a successful visit is +2, hardships reduce that by 7, item loss reduces it by 7 more, and being offended reduces it by 5 BUT only if there was no item loss), and the loss of a diplomat gives -20.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 08:21:04 am »

Interestingly, that's less effective at getting them angry - if you want to get the maximum penalty, you must ensure that either they "were never heard from again" (i.e. kill them all) or that they "suffered great hardships" (i.e. kill/injure some of them) and either "reported a seizure of goods" (seize stuff) or "reported irregularities with their goods" (e.g. deconstruct the depot). Offering them wooden items will actually make them less angry than stealing their goods (though if you do both, they'll only report the theft).

Different historical events have inter-civilization happiness modifiers - a worst-case merchant visit ("never heard from again") gives -12 (a successful visit is +2, hardships reduce that by 7, item loss reduces it by 7 more, and being offended reduces it by 5 BUT only if there was no item loss), and the loss of a diplomat gives -20.
So the worst thing would be seizing some items, then deconstructing the depot, then killing most/all of them?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: [1] 2