Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Elf siege  (Read 6053 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Elf siege
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 08:24:17 am »

So the worst thing would be seizing some items, then deconstructing the depot, then killing most/all of them?
You only need to seize items or deconstruct the depot - doing both won't make any bit of difference. If you're going to kill all of them, you don't even need to bother messing with their items.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 08:25:58 am »

So the worst thing would be seizing some items, then deconstructing the depot, then killing most/all of them?
You only need to seize items or deconstruct the depot - doing both won't make any bit of difference. If you're going to kill all of them, you don't even need to bother messing with their items.
So then you are supposed to leave one alive? Good.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 08:33:40 am »

So then you are supposed to leave one alive? Good.
No killing them all is supposed to make them angrier

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 08:51:43 am »

Killing them all is the same as stealing some of their items and killing some of them (assuming that this results in "suffered great hardships" when you check Legends mode).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 09:52:57 am »

Killing them all is the same as stealing some of their items and killing some of them (assuming that this results in "suffered great hardships" when you check Legends mode).

Good to know!

Along the same vein, how many come in a human siege?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 02:02:38 pm »

Good to know!

Along the same vein, how many come in a human siege?
Varies, I guess, but their campfire attitude sucks.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 02:06:14 pm »

Yeah, human siege can take forever.  They chill by the map edge for a season or two in a "siege camp" before finally moving in. 

Is it possible to have two sieges at once like this, though?  Would be funny to see a human siege and a gobbo siege duking it out over who gets to kick your ass. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 02:11:51 pm »

I want to see them construct a siege workshop and maybe a bowyers and etc!  Twould be nice to see them prop up a ballista (or god forbide a ram or captupt.)  Maybe bring a few squads of one man and nine wardogs :)

Hell, I would like to see small squads of auxillia, skirmishers, and heavily armoured 'praets' too!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 05:04:26 pm »

Yeah, human siege can take forever.  They chill by the map edge for a season or two in a "siege camp" before finally moving in. 

Is it possible to have two sieges at once like this, though?  Would be funny to see a human siege and a gobbo siege duking it out over who gets to kick your ass.

That's one of my two nuclear options I have in case of a huge gobbo siege (this last one broke the rules and brought 5 squads, wiki says they're capped at 4, and they also brought fricktons of trolls). One is, through the use of an airlock system, releasing two (thankfully, weak), forgotten beasts onto them, and the other is, I've Amontillado'd the guild representative, so since the humans and gobbos are at war, I can kill him and hostile reinforcements arrive. Enemy of my enemy.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 09:12:51 pm »

Elven ambushes in my experience* alway consist a few squads of eight elves.  I can't say for sure I've uncovered all the squads every time, but I normally see two, three or four squads when they attack.  The leader almost always has a different weapon from the rest of them. I can't remember for sure, but I believe all the elf leaders I've seen have been mounted.  Usually on things like war grizzly bears or war lions.

* My experience is from picking a civ that is at war with the elves when I embark, then embarking close enough for them to show up in the Neighbors list as WAR.  I would typically receive an ambushing elven riot squad** at the time one would normally expect to receive the usual snooty cloth and zoo caravan.  :P

** I call them riot squads because the first one I ever encountered was elven swordsmen, half of which were equipped with rubberwood long swords.  a.k.a., riot batons. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 09:34:38 pm »

Just killing them all works the same, I think.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 04:43:40 am »

hostile reinforcements
I support the use of this term.

Also, footnote in a footnote? Smells like T. Pratchett ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 [2]