Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Your Archnemesis  (Read 7917 times)

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your Archnemesis
« on: August 07, 2012, 12:00:56 pm »

What creature/civilization has been your worst enemy, frustrating your plans at every turn as much as AI can?

For me, it is Aspad Rusmozakosp Engro Uno, Forgotten Beast that destroyed my water reactor because I didn't know they could go up stairs. Then it didn't eat the goblins I dropped into the cavern, because they outran it to the edge of the map and it didn't web them.

But, I just had a good idea. I'm going to make two bridges and a 1x1 room. One bridge allows access to the rest of my fort, the other opens to the outside world. I'm going to dig a staircase to the bottom, keeping the external bridge closed and the internal open, to allow my miner back in. THEN, I'll close the internal bridge, open the external, and watch as Aspad, my arch rival, paths to the artifact iron cabinet, which the goblins are around for some reason (I built it before they showed up) Resulting in an epic battle and likely the death of Aspad and many of the 25 mounted besiegers. Worst case scenario? Aspad wins, breaks down the postern door, which I still have backed up by a less destructible bridge. Fun scenario? They don't fight, which is why I'm saving before this crazy idea. !!FUN!! scenario? I leave the bridge open or Urist McHopelesslyStupid doesn't pull the lever fast enough.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: Your Archnemesis
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 12:13:29 pm »

fire imps, (fortress defence mod) they fall off the catwalk into the volcano where they remain floating unreachable but sadly still visible by scardey dwarves. You have to wait until they float down to a spot that is not quit see-able and also just off the edge such that a dumped bucket of water will cause a cave-in on top of them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 12:32:11 pm »

They're covered in black feathers, have a taste for Dwarven flesh and fly in flocks of unkindness.

Ravens, everywhere.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 12:36:18 pm »

Sir Isaac Newton. He is one deadly G.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:54:38 pm »

Fucking vampires, nobody sucks the life out of my slave workers but me.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 01:33:26 pm »

My former militia commander, who went nuts and then fought the entire squad to a draw.  He is a legendary swordsman.

Now he sits in the putrid wasteland that used to be my finished goods stockpile and cries about his broken shoulder and he WON'T DIE.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 02:04:32 pm »

Aspad update:

He leaves all the animal men alone just so they can set off my webbed cage traps (doesn't do much anyway since Aspad is a web thrower and I can't reset the traps without him trololololing into my mechanics. I walled those traps off)

I want to see if he'll attack the gobbos at all, so I'm going to wait until he's right below my dumping zone (and maybe even drop Urist McUseless cheesemaker down as bait) to pit some naked gobbos.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 02:08:12 pm »

I want to see if he'll attack the gobbos at all, so I'm going to wait until he's right below my dumping zone (and maybe even drop Urist McUseless cheesemaker down as bait) to pit some naked gobbos.
Unless those are goblinzillas, they should fight.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 02:14:56 pm »

Unless those are goblinzillas, they should fight.

Maybe, though last time I dumped Gobbos down the pit Aspad didn't even path to them. They just derped over to the edge of the map and disappeared.

Result? A giant siege two days later (I didn't disarm them because I wanted Aspad dead)

ASPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!! *zooms out to the building I'm in* ASPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD! *zooms out to a satellite image of the earth* ASPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!

Siege wasn't too bad though, since I took the liberty of filling the map with so many pointy things and cage traps it made Vietnam look like a ball pit.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:17:44 pm by Urist_McDrowner »

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 02:18:47 pm »

Necromancers. Typically because my hunters normally kill giant keas over water, or leave elephants to rot for whatever reason. It doesn't help that those bastards almost always have a crossbow.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 02:42:42 pm »

Keas.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 02:51:36 pm »

GIANT keas.  They're like kleptomaniacal grizzly bears with wings.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 03:22:10 pm »

Destis Tiresquirt, an elven bandit leader who killed no less than 4 of my adventurers in a row when I was learning adventurer mode.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 03:26:04 pm »

The game UI. It takes so long to get used to so that I always give up half-way through, abandoning the game for so long that I get unaccustomed with it again when I retry.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 03:32:22 pm »

Keas and rhesus macaque. Seriously, even kobold theives will just peg it as soon as my wardogs spot them. Those two?
A Kea has stolen a masterwork oaken training axe!
A rhesus macaque has stolen a featherwood bed!

Before the bloody first migrant wave as well. I've started pasturing war dogs out front in addition to the restrained ones.
Pages: [1] 2 3