Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Live or die? The baby's fate lies in your hands  (Read 4461 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Live or die? The baby's fate lies in your hands
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 10:06:37 pm »

How on earth did we all vote live by now?!

I vote live too... grumble grumble...
My wooden badge was delicious.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 10:09:07 pm »

How on earth did we all vote live by now?!

I vote live too... grumble grumble...
Well its simple. without dwarves, there is no death. Plus many don't like migrants, but four is a very small number
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 12:58:20 am »

Not much is going to happen to his cottages really, pretty sure most serious beasts don't deliberately attack your fort unless you have reached a certain wealth/total pop.

Invaders wont show up until pop cap of 21 from what I've heard.

The really bad stuff probably won't, but I've had a werebeast pop onto the map at 15 dwarfs--
Then he turned into a dwarf. ::)

Also apparently areas near a necromancer tower can be attacked before the first caravan, though I'd think it would be pretty rare.
Well, I'd hope it would be rare, in any case. ::)

Also, since he's probably going to die in any case I'd vote for live, just to see what he dies of.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 01:24:19 am »

Let 'em live. Are the other two dorfs opposite gender? See if you can get them to pair off, and then their kids can pair off when they become adults.

I've had long-running forts, and it's always cool when the first baby born in your fort becomes an adult. I like to cheat with Dwarf Therapist to assign Hauling labor to all children. Yes, it's cheating, but it's not unrealistic. A kid can carry a sock or push a wheelbarrow from Point A to Point B just fine; not like it takes skill.

And, with any luck, the kids will have had a craftsdwarf mood before they come of age.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 01:30:07 am »

Live.

Get wooden crossbows with wooden bolts.  I'm guessing you have a lot of trees.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 01:43:20 am »

Ok guys, apparently I've stumbled onto an alternate universe.  Guys, you have to believe me, I come from a universe where all of you would vote Die!  This is not the real Bay 12 Forums!  You have to help me get back home!

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 03:30:14 am »

Really?
4 dorfs isn't enough to sustain a viable population.
Pitting migrant cheesemakers into a pond is all well and good but it's eliminating the potential for genetic diversity.
If they survive long enough they'll end up resorting to delicious incest and eventually wipe themselves from the genepool via horrific inbreeding.

So really, drowning those cheesemakers is just doubling the fun. ;D

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 03:38:12 am »

It's a well-known fact that all dwarf incest babies often become smarter, as it is nearly impossible for a dwarf to become any more belligerently stupid. You're doing your hovel good.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 03:41:04 am »

Damn and here I was trying to breed svifneblin.
It's amazing the average everydorf survive worldgen sometimes, it really is.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 05:15:46 am »

Let 'em live. With 4 dwarves you are lacking a militia and a chamber full of dwarven spawn might slow them down enough to evacuate. Just imagine it like breeding war dogs. Short and drunken war dogs.
You could force  them into a training chamber ala dwarven child care or atleast seal them in a separate room until they mature enough to handle a pickaxe.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 07:15:25 am »

Let 'em live. With 4 dwarves you are lacking a militia and a chamber full of dwarven spawn might slow them down enough to evacuate. Just imagine it like breeding war dogs. Short and drunken war dogs.
You could force  them into a training chamber ala dwarven child care or atleast seal them in a separate room until they mature enough to handle a pickaxe.

No, what will slow them down is the hoard of 40 blue peahens ready to release all hell upon anything stupid enough to get in the way (I'm hoping it'll slow them down).

Since I do have that massive breeding population, all will be in full leather (so much easier to suit up 4 than 40), and I'll have enough bone bolts to bring down an entire siege. Just gotta get this construction part of things out of the way. Wall is about 45% complete.

Building materials, wood, clay, and I'll have clay brick roads eventually. The best thing about a small number of dwarves is the rate at which they go through food an drink. Unfortunately since I'm not doing any digging (melted down my copper pick too... Oh, that reminds me, I embarked with tetrahedrite, so I can make them some basic armour each), there's no traps for me... I might use 3 of the 4 remaining marble from embark to construc enough for a retracting bridge to cover the entrance. All caravans have been turned away to this point too...

No fear of necromancers, cause I'm on a small island off the coast (no water anywhere to be seen unfortunately, so I can guarantee that the death of my fort will be due to an injury not being cleaned... Unless unexpected fun happens)

It's actually all looking pretty positive right now... I don't think the lovers have married just yet, but when they finally pop out that kid that's surely on the way, I'll put him to work in the farms... That'll be at least 3 game years away though (2 years to leave mummy, 9 months incubation, and a few months for them to do the deed - yes I know that's backwards)
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 09:56:37 am »

No, what will slow them down is the hoard of 40 blue peahens ready to release all hell upon anything stupid enough to get in the way (I'm hoping it'll slow them down).
I would much rather release a cage full of 40 children than 40 peahens. Unlike children, the hens are actually useful since they lay eggs and can be butchered. Though I admit that getting those children back in their cage might prove troublesome (if any survive).
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 09:58:14 am »

I would much rather release a cage full of 40 children than 40 peahens. Unlike children, the hens are actually useful since they lay eggs and can be butchered. Though I admit that getting those children back in their cage might prove troublesome (if any survive).
Rabits are tougher, harder to kill and scatter like crazy when released. I'd pick a cage full of rabits over children any day.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 10:07:39 am »

I'd pick a cage full of rabits over children any day.
Where is the fun in that?

Et tu, Urist

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 11:16:08 am »

Change the init file so that the child cap is zero.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3