Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Live or die? The baby's fate lies in your hands  (Read 4463 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Live or die? The baby's fate lies in your hands
« on: August 06, 2012, 08:47:53 pm »

So, I decided to do something a little different this time. I embarked in a woodland, with only 4 of my dwarves with any skills. The other three I put in a dried up murky pool, and kept them stuck in there until they died. I did the same with the first 2 migrant waves as well, because I can build a thriving village with only 4 dwarves.

I'm building above ground, wood and clay only, no digging allowed. I have an almost infinite food source (blue peafowl... 60 of them after the first hatching), and it looks like everything is going well.

All 4 are ecstatic, but two of them are "caught up in a new romance". This means only one thing... they'll start popping out kids. YAY!

The question is, do I give those kids the same fate as the migrants? It'll result in two unhappy dwarves, but these guys have already endured the decay of a friend, and snapped out of it without a tantrum. My village is small, consisting of a few workshops, a large burial hall (ghosts scare me), 4 houses, a hatchery, storehouse, and meeting hall, and I've managed to design it so it will fit perfectly in square walls. This means no room for expansion if my population increases. This provides a problem with having kids around.

So, let them starve (when they inevitably start popping out), or let them grow and slowly increase the population of my small village.

On a side note, I can't wait till I get an elven caravan... I'll make them walk the entire way through my village, before trapping them in and letting them starve
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Live or die? The baby's fate lies in your hands
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 08:48:34 pm »

I vote live.

But I know my vote means nothing, knowing Bay12.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:49:52 pm »

Let 'im live. He'll probably die in some other terrible way... do you have invaders turned off?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 08:51:10 pm »

Im making up my own vote and saying !!Science!!
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 08:54:38 pm »

Let 'im live. He'll probably die in some other terrible way... do you have invaders turned off?

Nope... 100% vanilla... but considering my population is 4, and my created wealth is only 14,000 (my other fort is closing on 10,000,000), and I haven't attracted any migrants in the last 3 seasons, I'm hoping they won't turn up till I get that wall built. It might be good to have some younglings growing in case I have some unexpected fun though
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 09:07:11 pm »

Voting live. Its kind of sweet, like a pair of lovers who fled off to start a village.

Now, what will you do when Large flying Dangerous creatures show up? What If a roc shows up? then what>
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 09:09:49 pm »

Voting live. Its kind of sweet, like a pair of lovers who fled off to start a village.

Now, what will you do when Large flying Dangerous creatures show up? What If a roc shows up? then what>

Then we hope like all hell that by that time I have a ton of bone bolts and a bone crossbow for each of the dwarves... Probably should focus more on military than I currently am, but I figure I should be more worried about the land creatures first. So far the scariest things I've seen are varieties of snakes... But it is the plan to make them all full functioning archers

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 09:10:13 pm »

You should build a roof. Out of spikes, maybe.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 09:12:50 pm »

Not much is going to happen to his cottages really, pretty sure most serious beasts don't deliberately attack your fort unless you have reached a certain wealth/total pop.

Invaders wont show up until pop cap of 21 from what I've heard.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 09:13:22 pm »

Vote live (.. for now). Consider that for a very long time - is it 10 or 15 years? something like that - they'll just be mostly-useless mouths to feed. So they don't really interfere with your four-dwarf paradigm, for years to come your original four will still be doing all the work; keeping the babies/children alive will just provide a little extra challenge, which is always good. By the time they reach adulthood, if your fortress actually lasts that long, you can revisit the decision of what to do with them: blood sacrifice to Armok, military recruits (..almost the same thing), or maybe you'll even feel like expanding beyond four useful dwarves by then. Who knows, the point is it's not a decision you need to finalize for years to come.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 09:22:19 pm »

Vote live (.. for now). Consider that for a very long time - is it 10 or 15 years? something like that - they'll just be mostly-useless mouths to feed. So they don't really interfere with your four-dwarf paradigm, for years to come your original four will still be doing all the work; keeping the babies/children alive will just provide a little extra challenge, which is always good. By the time they reach adulthood, if your fortress actually lasts that long, you can revisit the decision of what to do with them: blood sacrifice to Armok, military recruits (..almost the same thing), or maybe you'll even feel like expanding beyond four useful dwarves by then. Who knows, the point is it's not a decision you need to finalize for years to come.

I've found that they can actually be pretty useful farmers too... I've just got one small plot of prickleberries to make some wine (happens to be a favourite of two of the dwarves), so if the kid decides to farm for me, one less annoying task my useful ones need to do

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 09:26:25 pm »

Invaders wont show up until pop cap of 21 from what I've heard.
Correct, though goblin ambushes can also occur once you reach a production or trade level of "2" (which sadly nobody has ever figured out the exact value for).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 09:27:03 pm »

Don't let them starve. Make something that will drop them on your dwarves until they just don't care about anything anymore.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 09:29:06 pm »

Don't let them starve. Make something that will drop them on your dwarves until they just don't care about anything anymore.
Starving them was just the simplest option when I started out

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 10:06:13 pm »

Shidn't do tha, he just a bwa. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."
Pages: [1] 2 3