Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Voile Fortress - v1.5 - Koas are Striking the Earth  (Read 22014 times)

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Voile Fortress - v1.4 - Koas are Striking the Earth
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2012, 11:32:33 am »

Alright, just got your update. And went through the errorlog. Only 1 new item pops up in it this update and it's for the new Koa language. And I know exactly what the problem is for that one and how to fix it. The problem stems from dflang not having been updated since df2012 went live, and Toady adjusted the language files by adding and removing some various words. You can fix this by copying your language_SYM and language_words raw files into the dflang folder and overwrite the old ones. Then regen the language. Or I can send you the Koa language I genned back in 1.2 for use.

As for the metal testing, time to open the arena and pit various enemies against each other equipped in the new metals. Should help you tweak the values some.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2012, 11:41:55 am »

Alright, just got your update. And went through the errorlog. Only 1 new item pops up in it this update and it's for the new Koa language. And I know exactly what the problem is for that one and how to fix it. The problem stems from dflang not having been updated since df2012 went live, and Toady adjusted the language files by adding and removing some various words. You can fix this by copying your language_SYM and language_words raw files into the dflang folder and overwrite the old ones. Then regen the language. Or I can send you the Koa language I genned back in 1.2 for use.

As for the metal testing, time to open the arena and pit various enemies against each other equipped in the new metals. Should help you tweak the values some.

You can send it over if you like. I know it's an easy fix, I just haven't really gotten to it as I don't think it changes anything in-game really.

And while I thought of doing that, the problem is I just don't have a good idea of how well it should do really... I think it should work fine. I think. *eyeshift*

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2012, 12:41:36 pm »

Ok, I'll upload it.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7017

Another funny thing to note is that vanilla normally uses the human language to name the world. But since Koakuma comes after human in the alphabet, the game is now using Koa to name the worlds. The fix is pretty easy, but it is mostly a flavor thing since it has no effect on anything else at all.

Honestly with metals, anything steel and above is still going to cut through goblins like a hot knife through butter, given that goblins have bronze and iron as their best metals. The new metals may be of use if the Koas regularly were at war with the dwarves though. In the end though, the new metals like addy is just mainly flavor I think, "my squads are equipped in the absolute best gear, even though our enemies can't even scratch our 2nd best stuff". I usually just stay with steel for my army, and then just stockpile a bit of addy for moods and maybe use it for some other stuff depending on availability.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2012, 01:55:57 pm »

Ok, I'll upload it.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7017

Another funny thing to note is that vanilla normally uses the human language to name the world. But since Koakuma comes after human in the alphabet, the game is now using Koa to name the worlds. The fix is pretty easy, but it is mostly a flavor thing since it has no effect on anything else at all.

Honestly with metals, anything steel and above is still going to cut through goblins like a hot knife through butter, given that goblins have bronze and iron as their best metals. The new metals may be of use if the Koas regularly were at war with the dwarves though. In the end though, the new metals like addy is just mainly flavor I think, "my squads are equipped in the absolute best gear, even though our enemies can't even scratch our 2nd best stuff". I usually just stay with steel for my army, and then just stockpile a bit of addy for moods and maybe use it for some other stuff depending on availability.

You bring up a good point. I might look into buffing Goblins. I want to add in another new civ, but I can't get my friend to make me another base icon *shakes fist*

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2012, 02:16:57 pm »

Ok, got a few more notes and the like for you.

Mythril Making Reaction probably needs to be set to 4 bars not 8, since you are only using 1 ore, not 2. Or you could require a piece of raw addy with the reaction too, then making 8 bars should be fine.

The mythril metal should probably get the [DEEP_SPECIAL] tag unless you want koas to bring it in caravans and be embarkable with it. Granted the pricetag on it makes it a poor choice for embarking with, but buying it of caravans would be pretty easy. Also since you are making it into bars, I don't think you need the [STOCKPILE_THREAD_METAL] or [ITEM_SOFT] tags.

You forgot to add the glasses item to the Koa entity.

Thats all I got for now, will keep looking for and noting things for you.

Edit: I am really lousy and slow spriter, but depending on which touhous you are wanting to use I may be able to come up with a half-way decent placeholder sprite for you.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:25:58 pm by Patchy »

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2012, 02:30:33 pm »

Ok, got a few more notes and the like for you.

Mythril Making Reaction probably needs to be set to 4 bars not 8, since you are only using 1 ore, not 2. Or you could require a piece of raw addy with the reaction too, then making 8 bars should be fine.

The mythril metal should probably get the [DEEP_SPECIAL] tag unless you want koas to bring it in caravans and be embarkable with it. Granted the pricetag on it makes it a poor choice for embarking with, but buying it of caravans would be pretty easy. Also since you are making it into bars, I don't think you need the [STOCKPILE_THREAD_METAL] or [ITEM_SOFT] tags.

You forgot to add the glasses item to the Koa entity.

Thats all I got for now, will keep looking for and noting things for you.

Edit: I am really lousy and slow spriter, but depending on which touhous you are wanting to use I may be able to come up with a half-way decent placeholder sprite for you.

Thanks for the feedback as always. At a later point I was going to have Mithril be thread-able like addy as well, I just hadn't done it yet. While I'm not too against Mithril being buyable, considering the current state of the game's economy... I will probably put in the tag so you can't simply request Mithril in bulk and buy it like crazy. I hadn't taken into consideration the ease of making super expensive tradegoods.

I know the glasses haven't been added still. I just haven't thought of a good way to have them be made, so it's kind of just been sitting there.

At the moment I was thinking of maybe adding in the Crow Tengu or maybe the White Wolves. I might need to think of adding in a few more 'powerful' civs that justify you needing the higher-up materials in case you make them your enemies somehow.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2012, 02:51:31 pm »

So, Aya and Momiji sprites. Hmm I wonder if Patchouli the creater of Gardens of Gensokyo might have any spare sprites of those. I think he used a crow tengu npc race too. Might try asking him.

Edit: To toughen goblins and occasionally humans too, you could rename Koa steel back to steel and give it to everyone as a general metal. Dwarves will still have their dwarven steel which is superior to standard steel that other races make. Then the orichalcum and mythril can be Koa specialties.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:56:01 pm by Patchy »

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2012, 03:13:51 pm »

So, Aya and Momiji sprites. Hmm I wonder if Patchouli the creater of Gardens of Gensokyo might have any spare sprites of those. I think he used a crow tengu npc race too. Might try asking him.

Edit: To toughen goblins and occasionally humans too, you could rename Koa steel back to steel and give it to everyone as a general metal. Dwarves will still have their dwarven steel which is superior to standard steel that other races make. Then the orichalcum and mythril can be Koa specialties.

Yeah basically.

And I was actually thinking about that again. I might just call it 'Crude Steel', but basically make it not such a Koakuma specific thing anymore.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2012, 10:59:38 am »

Alright Patchouli, gave me his sprites from his GoG mod. And here they are, with proper credit to him of course. Perhaps you can use some of them or modify them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2012, 01:58:25 pm »

The bottom ones are just humans without the super tengu hat, but they can be modified.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2012, 04:58:17 pm »

So I did you the same favour I did Totaku and added the mod to this page.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2012, 06:02:23 pm »

Alright Patchouli, gave me his sprites from his GoG mod. And here they are, with proper credit to him of course. Perhaps you can use some of them or modify them.

Thanks a lot!

The bottom ones are just humans without the super tengu hat, but they can be modified.

I take it you don't mind if I use them as "bases" and tweak them as needed then?

So I did you the same favour I did Totaku and added the mod to this page.

Thanks! I didn't expect that, but it's welcomed regardless.

Seems I'm going to have my work cut out for me this update, ahahaha.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2012, 09:40:12 pm »

I take it you don't mind if I use them as "bases" and tweak them as needed then?

Yeah, I don't mind.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2012, 09:58:23 pm »

Yeah, I don't mind.

Much appreciated! Now I just have to kind of buckle down, code out all these races/civs, make sure they work... busy, busy.

SpaceKGreen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2012, 12:07:21 am »

Might I supply a goofier, alternate Koakumian language?

Pastebin

Came up with it while playing late at night.

On another note, in every world I've created with this mod active, the Koakumian civilizations seem to be... not very good at surviving.  Looking at the civilizations in Legends mode, nearly every Koakumian one ends with variations of "bodies horribly mutilated"; those that don't are ones formed just before the end of worldgen.  On the entire map, there's only about 1-2 Koakuma towers, usually surrounded by various goblin settlements.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7