Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Voile Fortress - v1.5 - Koas are Striking the Earth  (Read 21980 times)

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Voile Fortress - v1.3 - Koas are Striking the Earth
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2012, 12:56:04 pm »

Ok, rolled up a new world with the Koas. Lets see, where do I want to embark today. Also open war with the elves haha. Koas must be warlike lil devils, had open war with the goblins on my previous test fort in 1.2. Oh well easy military training, at least till the elves bring in their archers and warbeasts... those are actually dangerous.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2012, 01:49:50 pm »

Ok, rolled up a new world with the Koas. Lets see, where do I want to embark today. Also open war with the elves haha. Koas must be warlike lil devils, had open war with the goblins on my previous test fort in 1.2. Oh well easy military training, at least till the elves bring in their archers and warbeasts... those are actually dangerous.

I've noticed Koas do have a tendency to go to war with goblins and elves, and rarely humans. I think its because their ethics are still mostly like humans. I'm thinking of trying to find some more races to add to the game, but I'm not sure what...

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2012, 02:20:49 pm »

A bit of open discussion here.

Alchemy in the mod is drawing influences from the Atelier series, meaning it's not really crude science and... well, I guess magic. And swirling and twirling of a stick. So magic. So I've been thinking on how to use it and not completely unbalance the game. While I personally like non-iron ores, and adore tin for bronze, I'm wary of making alchemy a way to obtain something like tin. I think a part of the game's difficulty is meant to be around making do with what you have, after all. Even if I really would love to trade all that abundant iron ore into some delicious tin ore.

Also I'm thinking of what to 'replace' adamantine with. As Koakuma are devils, I felt it unfitting if they could use it. I've been thinking of uses for it still, and my best idea is to turn raw adamantine into a very powerful magical reagent perhaps. Or maybe you can only use it in non-metalwork and show it off to dwarves.

I'm going to try and add in some new magical metals for the next update, Mithril/Mythril and Orichalcum I think. Mithril/Mythril will be like it is in most things, a very lightweight but strong metal. Not nearly on par to adamantine of course. I'm thinking there'll be a 'easy' way and a hard way. The easy way will be using platinum or aluminum, otherwise I have to think up a more involved process I think.

Orichalcum will be opposite of mithril/mythril, at least in weight as it'll be heavy instead. I'm still thinking on how it'll be made, but possibly involving copper and/or gold for the 'easy' way.

So there's my rambling thoughts while at work and thinking.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2012, 08:48:36 pm »

Never really played Atelier, though I have heard of it before. So really can't comment too much on it. But basic transmutation of metals might be a bit overpowered without the transmutation requiring some difficult to obtain materials. I run a scarcity setting of 10000 on my world gens, which keeps it down to 1 or 2 ore veins on most embarks, scarcity of 100 just seems lame to me. The bright mana gems could be required for some transmutations, and would give them a use beyond making charcoal with. After you get magma, those gems are essentially useless except as decoration.

Not sure what you could do with the addy, personally its killing me right now. As my Koas have stumbled across a large spire of it in the caverns. Haven't started mining it yet, but will probably end up using it for mechanisms.... or maybe some furniture, or decorations. Might dig out a noble room in the spire too, since I can't smelt it into metal obviously. Though a magical reagent in the metal transmutations could work, and you'd be able to get some metal transmuted but it'd be heavily limited by access to raw addy.

Using platinum and aluminum to transmute into your heavy and light-weight ultimate metals respectively would be fine, as both being small clusters only are difficult to come by in great amounts. Most other metals like gold, iron, copper, and silver, if you find them on your embark you will generally have loads of it.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2012, 10:18:18 pm »

Never really played Atelier, though I have heard of it before. So really can't comment too much on it. But basic transmutation of metals might be a bit overpowered without the transmutation requiring some difficult to obtain materials. I run a scarcity setting of 10000 on my world gens, which keeps it down to 1 or 2 ore veins on most embarks, scarcity of 100 just seems lame to me. The bright mana gems could be required for some transmutations, and would give them a use beyond making charcoal with. After you get magma, those gems are essentially useless except as decoration.

Not sure what you could do with the addy, personally its killing me right now. As my Koas have stumbled across a large spire of it in the caverns. Haven't started mining it yet, but will probably end up using it for mechanisms.... or maybe some furniture, or decorations. Might dig out a noble room in the spire too, since I can't smelt it into metal obviously. Though a magical reagent in the metal transmutations could work, and you'd be able to get some metal transmuted but it'd be heavily limited by access to raw addy.

Using platinum and aluminum to transmute into your heavy and light-weight ultimate metals respectively would be fine, as both being small clusters only are difficult to come by in great amounts. Most other metals like gold, iron, copper, and silver, if you find them on your embark you will generally have loads of it.

Whew, 10000? You are a crazy, crazy person :P I play at 1000 myself, which seems to give enough variety without TOO much.

I will keep your suggestions in mind and try to get a use for addy by the next update. It was normally low on my list as... I think I've only ever reached it like, once or twice...

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2012, 10:50:42 am »

The idea keeps coming back to me, so I'm going to post about it!

As someone from Gensokyo, I always want to add in more and more Japanese stuff... so, I've been thinking:
Should Koakuma use mostly Japanese weapons and armor? I'm really iffy, as SDM is clearly European and not Japanese yet... I'm not sure. I might just do both in the next update, even if some weapons/armor might be statistically the same, the option may exist simply for flavor.

Although I did think of a workshop that makes nothing but Japanese-style gear, but I don't think you can make a custom workshop/reactions using the handy vanilla Forge layout of materials THEN the thing.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 01:00:18 pm »

You already have hakama and kimonos, despite the SDM's european feel. I'd say if you want to add more japanese styled gears, go for it. Though you could also pick another touhou that is decidely more japanese in feel and make them another civ that uses the new gears you make. Reimu, Yuyuko, and Kaguya all come to my mind really fast for chars with a japanese feel and I'm sure you could probably come up with a number of them too.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 01:12:13 pm »

You already have hakama and kimonos, despite the SDM's european feel. I'd say if you want to add more japanese styled gears, go for it. Though you could also pick another touhou that is decidely more japanese in feel and make them another civ that uses the new gears you make. Reimu, Yuyuko, and Kaguya all come to my mind really fast for chars with a japanese feel and I'm sure you could probably come up with a number of them too.

That came to mind, actually. I should make up some flimsy excuse for the multiple Koas and just keep going with it. I'm tempted to ask Tokatu if I can use Suikas. I DO want to round out more races.

Currently planning out mithril, orichalcum, adamant/adamant steel/something like that, and possibly a Philsopher's Stone (for raw addy) and maybe a Radiant Mana Gem (also raw addy).

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 01:31:09 pm »

Hehe, some strange backstories have been written about the touhouverse before. I'm sure your "flimsy escuse" for all the Koas will be just fine. And I'm actually a little surprised you haven't chatted with Totaku yet about some ideas for this mod. He could probably give you a few, or even let you borrow some of his stuff, and not to mention give you some pointers/help on some of the harder to mod-in stuff. There isn't a doubt in my mind that he knows a ton more about modding df than I do. Most of my mod tinkering has been really small changes here and there, I still run a mostly vanilla df still.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 01:40:53 pm »

Hehe, some strange backstories have been written about the touhouverse before. I'm sure your "flimsy escuse" for all the Koas will be just fine. And I'm actually a little surprised you haven't chatted with Totaku yet about some ideas for this mod. He could probably give you a few, or even let you borrow some of his stuff, and not to mention give you some pointers/help on some of the harder to mod-in stuff. There isn't a doubt in my mind that he knows a ton more about modding df than I do. Most of my mod tinkering has been really small changes here and there, I still run a mostly vanilla df still.

We've talked a tiny amount before, but he seems REALLY busy lately. I'll probably make two 'types' of history. One slightly more fitting, and then the actual, silly, but totally Touhou explanation. Because when does ANYTHING make sense in Gensokyo?

And yeah this mod has made me learn some things... sort of. I normally had only done really minor tweaks, but now I'm dabbling in metals and those confuse me. Mostly all those values.

I just randomly remembered Lyrium from Dragon Age? That could be a thing... man, I can't stay focused on ANYTHING can I?! Just ideas randomly popping in and swimming around.

EDIT:
Heck, at one point, I thought of making Koakumas all ROMAN themed! Gladii and stuff for everyone!

EDIT2:
Man, Lyrium might actually be kind of fun to add... this is starting to become less "Voile Fortess" and more "Whatever sounds cool at the moment and involves Koakuma Fortress".
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:58:57 pm by krisslanza »

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 03:52:00 pm »

I would've pegged the SDM as eastern european, given the transylvania/castlevania vibe I get from it.

And Lyrium? Goes to look it up, as I've never played Dragon Age before.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 03:53:38 pm »

I would've pegged the SDM as eastern european, given the transylvania/castlevania vibe I get from it.

And Lyrium? Goes to look it up, as I've never played Dragon Age before.

I've had a discussion with a friend about it, and I think we agree it's like a late period Eastern European or something.

Lyrium is basically what fuels magic in Dragon Age. It makes humans and elves go insane if they handle the stuff raw, and only Dwarves could use it. You can also use it as a weapon, at least in the second game.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2012, 04:11:01 pm »

I guess Lyrium gives you an escuse to play with syndromes. A gem/ore that makes people go nucking futs, as well as other magical/alchemical properties does sound fun.

And the best advice I have about your ideas, is to type or write them down in a notepad as they come to you. If at all possible, drop whatever you are doing at the moment to jot them down. When you hit a spot where you don't have anymore ideas, go back and start combining the similiar ones and organising them. That will probably cause you get some more ideas, and you should immediately jot them down too. When those are done, go back to organising. It's pretty much like writing a good book/paper/story/etc., outlining it before hand helps you figure out where everything should go. Besides look at all those goals Toady has for df, he has them all written out and now he's just chugging away at them.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2012, 04:21:01 pm »

I guess Lyrium gives you an escuse to play with syndromes. A gem/ore that makes people go nucking futs, as well as other magical/alchemical properties does sound fun.

And the best advice I have about your ideas, is to type or write them down in a notepad as they come to you. If at all possible, drop whatever you are doing at the moment to jot them down. When you hit a spot where you don't have anymore ideas, go back and start combining the similiar ones and organising them. That will probably cause you get some more ideas, and you should immediately jot them down too. When those are done, go back to organising. It's pretty much like writing a good book/paper/story/etc., outlining it before hand helps you figure out where everything should go. Besides look at all those goals Toady has for df, he has them all written out and now he's just chugging away at them.

Indeed. Good excuse to make syndrones that kill everyone, YAY!

And I've been doing that. When I can anyway. Sometimes my job doesn't really allow me to have paper handy to write on. I'm just thinking of other civs to add. This started as just a "Add Koakuma to the game", and now I'm thinking of adding in other Gensokyo races - such as Tengu and White Wolves.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Voile Fortress - v1.4 - Koas are Striking the Earth
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 05:58:05 pm »

Orichalcum and Mithril added. I swear I did some more, but I can't remember. Maybe around now my updates will be less... quick, as I'm trying to think up more ideas, and then probably rebalance any as noted - I'm expecting balance issues with Mithril and Orichalcum, simply because I don't understand all the tokens involved so I just kind of guessed...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7