Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Impotent Railguns :(  (Read 2483 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Impotent Railguns :(
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:29:18 am »

While doing science to attempt to build the most efficient railgun assembly, I ran into an absolutely terrible problem!

My railguns barely do any damage at all!

I currently have them on a level surface, with 30 tiles of powered rollers launching iron minecarts. I've filled the minecarts with lead coins and with stones, but in both cases they do nearly no damage at all.

The target is 10 tiles away from the end of the railgun assembly. The target is an ordinary elephant trapped in the target range.

After 5 rounds from my railgun, using coins or rocks as payload, all I've managed to do is break a single leg on the elephant.

Any advice on giving my railguns more of a kinetic punch?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Impotent Railguns :(
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 03:49:12 am »

Lead blocks. Try those. Or weapons.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 03:50:41 am »

I've filled the minecarts with lead coins
Aren't coins intangible?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:02:44 am »

I was hoping for lots of shrapnel with coins, but I got absolutely no shrapnel at all. The coins plus minecart weighed around 800 urists.

Then I tried filling it with metal ore, and that caused the cart plus stone to weight in at around 1800 urists.

In neither case did the minecarts do any significant damage, and in neither case did I get any grapeshot effect.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 04:19:12 am »

Try somewhere around 3000 urists of weight, several ramps for acceleration and smaller targets.
Same about shotgun, rollers aren't enough.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:19:47 am »

Rollers only accelerate you to a certain velocity threshold, which is rather low compared to the minimal speeds required for derailment and shotgunning.
Said velocity threshold applies only to rollers; gravity-assisted acceleration will let you reach much higher speeds. To make shrapnel fly out of the minecart, you need it to descend at least three Z-levels under the force of gravity.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 06:26:46 am »

Stacked items travel as one item when propelled from a minecart. This is probably either a bug or a measure to save framerate by preventing thousands of coins lying around. Try loading it with arrows/bolts if you can decrease the stack size somehow. Generally, for grapeshot effect, you need many, many items. Try upwards of 1000 and see what happens. Hint: Clothing is op right now.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 07:01:10 am »

Ahh, alright, didn't use any ramps. I was doing flat testing prior to mounting the railguns on my castle tower, and my castle tower is a very tall tower indeed.

The idea behind coins is that each stack individually is very tiny, so a single cart can hold a vast number of coins for a cloud of grapeshot.

I'll give it another try, but this time with far higher speeds.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 10:27:37 am »

I've found the Dwarven Auto-Shotgun thread to be a great resource.  Also, I remember reading somewhere that a stack of coins will be treated as a single item.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 12:20:23 pm »

Try using bigger and heavier objects, gold bars and logs usually have a 65% lethality on my 8 Z-lvls railgun. Also, don't use rollers, they suck.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 03:06:41 pm »

Having the minecarts hit something before the target and eject their contents is generally more effective than just plain old ramming, though ramps can get ramming fairly lethal.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 11:09:47 am »

I built a much improved railgun.

It launched into a corridor 5 tiles wide. The carts go down 10Z levels of ramps. Right at the bottom level are fortifications. The fortifications stop the minecarts entirely, so they can be recovered and reloaded right away. However once the minecarts hit the fortifications all of the contents of the minecarts are ejected, and so the contents go flying around and murder things.

Even loaded with stone, so only 5 stones per cart, or a total of 25 stones flung down the hallway, I had 10 fatalities. And this was against adult elephants which are very large.

Altering the payload will likely significantly improve the lethality of the railguns. I do like keeping the fortifications there to prevent anyone from the hallway of doom from being able to escape up the rail ramps, as well as allowing the guns to be reloaded automatically. Presumably if I just use the carts to directly impact the target while fully loaded it will do more damage, but that makes reloading more difficult.

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 12:37:49 pm »

Most perfect railgun ammo, figure out a way to load it with lead bins filled with lead blocks. Or just use candy spears if possible.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 12:43:40 pm »

Why not use the corpses/bones of the previous victims?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 04:15:59 pm »

If you've got a silk farm, you can make huge amounts of silk thread. HUGE amounts.

(I made a post about a good setup once; you let the spider shoot webs at a creature and have the webs land on a retracting drawbridge that is operated by a repeater. On the lower level, the webs stack, and your weavers can work 24/7.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: [1] 2