Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Crossbows and heads  (Read 3432 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Crossbows and heads
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2012, 12:32:20 pm »

comparing anything from DF to the real world is just... i mean you can kill people by throwing your own blood o.O

I think it's pretty clear that any game that models the shear strenght of metals and the bodies of creatures from skin to bone with everything in between as part of it's combat sim is attempting to be realistic.

It's also pretty clear that the throwing system is so broken it would be generous to describe it as buggy.

Ergo your argument is invalid.

Said game is also still in alpha, so things should be expected to not quite work the way one might imagine.

So, invalid you say...

Edit: On topic though, I'm reasonably sure that crossbows could penetrate armour, and it was also relatively easy (compared to bows) to train soldiers in their use, so it's not unreasonable for a completely useless crossbowbeing to be able to cripple you using one.

For it to happen quite so often, on the other hand... 'nother kettle of fish.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:38:12 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2012, 01:29:31 pm »

Right.  Because although relatively easy to train a layman in their basic use and operation, the level of accuracy and reloading presented by pretty much anyone wielding a pointy stick launcher in DF is somewhat uncalled for.  It's really just that combination of ills that makes launchers as deadly as they are compared to everything else.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2012, 01:47:17 pm »

Right.  Because although relatively easy to train a layman in their basic use and operation, the level of accuracy and reloading presented by pretty much anyone wielding a pointy stick launcher in DF is somewhat uncalled for.  It's really just that combination of ills that makes launchers as deadly as they are compared to everything else.
They can get off one shot before you close the distance and start hacking them to pieces :P

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2012, 03:37:32 pm »

right now df crossbows have realy high velocitys, so thay have the impact energy to brake bones or snap a spine.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2012, 04:00:46 pm »

They can get off one shot before you close the distance and start hacking them to pieces :P

That depends on if you see them immediately though.

Otherwise they get a second shot at taking your head off/bisecting your spine/chipping a bone.

And if there's more than one...!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2012, 04:17:59 pm »

That depends on if you see them immediately though.

Thus the perils of adventure mode is revealed!
Pages: 1 2 [3]