Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1035235 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #2685 on: November 02, 2012, 02:04:36 pm »

It was a lot of work mangling and obscurifying (shh) that reference.

Incidentally...

*Spend whole class listening to an echochamber lead by the professor accepting Anselm's Ontological Argument without question.*

Professor: "Hey, [Dice], want to join the academic debate team for your dorm?"

I swear, it's like the world is conspiring to force me to become some sort of desk-destroying monster.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2686 on: November 02, 2012, 02:07:22 pm »

My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: November 02, 2012, 02:31:53 pm »

Incidentally...

*Spend whole class listening to an echochamber lead by the professor accepting Anselm's Ontological Argument without question.*

I swear, it's like the world is conspiring to force me to become some sort of desk-destroying monster.

"And assuredly, a penis longer than any which can be conceived cannot exist in the understanding alone: then it can be conceived to exist in reality, which is greater."

I just slightly paraphrased Anselm's Ontological Argument to prove the existence of inconceivably giant dongs. I can actually conceive of planet-sized dongs. How big is the real "space dong"?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:44:00 pm by Reelya »

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: November 02, 2012, 02:34:44 pm »

My calculus teacher seems to love Comic Sans, and every paper she gives us seems to be typed in it.

I personally don't like it, but I'll accept it.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: November 02, 2012, 04:21:28 pm »

Incidentally...

"And assuredly, a penis longer than any which can be conceived cannot exist in the understanding alone: then it can be conceived to exist in reality, which is greater."

I just slightly paraphrased Anselm's Ontological Argument to prove the existence of inconceivably giant dongs. I can actually conceive of planet-sized dongs. How big is the real "space dong"?

I've been working on a way to counter it on two fronts as succinctly as possible, in order to prevent interjections:

One of the most basic ways to test an argument is by preserving the form but removing the subject. In this case, remove all instances of 'God' and replace them with '[whatever]'. [yadda yadda] as you can see, the form of the argument is invalid in this case, therefore it is invalid in every case.

In Anselm's reply to Gaunilo he essentially states that the argument is not invalidated because God is special. For the sake of the discussion, I'll assume in this instance that God, if he existed, would indeed have a special ability which makes invalid arguments into valid ones if they are being used to prove that He exists. Anselm assumes that this special ability of God's is in effect (otherwise he would be forced to admit that his argument is invalid), therefore he is also assuming that God exists, as the special ability would not take effect if God did not exist in reality.

In other words, Anselm has an unstated 0th premise in his Ontological Argument: "God exists in reality." This 0th premise makes the rest of the argument irrelevant, as it can effectively be shortened to this:

"God exists in reality.

Therefore, God exists in reality."

So then, if we do not accept as a matter of faith that God exists, then Anselm's argument is invalid. If we do accept that God exists, then it is circular reasoning.
___

Any fat to trim there? More importantly, how much will I piss off the fundies, on a scale of One to Lynch Mob?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: November 02, 2012, 04:25:34 pm »

Incidentally...

I've been working on a way to counter it on two fronts as succinctly as possible, in order to prevent interjections:

One of the most basic ways to test an argument is by preserving the form but removing the subject. In this case, remove all instances of 'God' and replace them with '[whatever]'. [yadda yadda] as you can see, the form of the argument is invalid in this case, therefore it is invalid in every case.

In Anselm's reply to Gaunilo he essentially states that the argument is not invalidated because God is special. For the sake of the discussion, I'll assume in this instance that God, if he existed, would indeed have a special ability which makes invalid arguments into valid ones if they are being used to prove that He exists. Anselm assumes that this special ability of God's is in effect (otherwise he would be forced to admit that his argument is invalid), therefore he is also assuming that God exists, as the special ability would not take effect if God did not exist in reality.

In other words, Anselm has an unstated 0th premise in his Ontological Argument: "God exists in reality." This 0th premise makes the rest of the argument irrelevant, as it can effectively be shortened to this:

"God exists in reality.

Therefore, God exists in reality."

So then, if we do not accept as a matter of faith that God exists, then Anselm's argument is invalid. If we do accept that God exists, then it is circular reasoning.
___

Any fat to trim there? More importantly, how much will I piss off the fundies, on a scale of One to Lynch Mob?

Sounds good so far. I like it, nice and succinct while getting the point across hard.

Oh, "Lynch Mob" btw, fundamentalists don't like people using rational thought, at all.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: November 02, 2012, 05:33:36 pm »

Yeah i facepalmed a while ago while reading about Gaunilo and Anselm. Anselm claimed the flaws in the Ontological Argument didn't matter because it only applied for beings with a "necessary existence". That's the biggest cop-out and circular logic ever, since that's the specific thing the argument is claiming to prove.

There are really two extra axioms used in this extension:

"God has a necessary existence"
"This rest of the argument only applies for things with a necessary existence"
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:35:46 pm by Reelya »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: November 03, 2012, 02:44:08 am »

:)

* Oliolli grabs The God Delusion.

It was somewhere in here...

AH! Here it is!

p. 107-108
Douglas Gasking's ontological argument about god's non-existance.

1. The creation of the world is the most marvellous achievment imagunable.

2. The merit of an achievement is the product of (a) its intrinsic quality, an (b) the ability of its creator.

3. The greater the disability (or handicap) of the creator, the more impressive the achievement.

4. The most formidable handicap for a creator would be non-existance.

5. Therefore if we suppose that the universe is the product of an existent creator we can convince a greater being - namely, one who created everything while not existing.

6. An existing God therefore would not be a being of which a greater cannot be conceived because an even more formidable and incredible creator would be a God which does not exist.

Ergo:

7. God does not exist.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:53:35 am by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2693 on: November 03, 2012, 03:54:18 am »

And that's why I worship the God of non-existence. You can never go wrong! :D

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: November 03, 2012, 06:18:17 am »

Ancient Roman/Greek gods were far better than gods today. I dont think i know a myth where noone got laid.
Today's god is all boring and restrictive.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2695 on: November 03, 2012, 06:54:49 am »

Ancient Greek gods either spent their entire time going around raping things, or screwing over mortals for funsies.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2696 on: November 03, 2012, 07:07:39 am »

Not really. A lot of the Gods were really practical. For example Zeus, averter of flies.

We stopped sacrificing to him. Guess what we have a lot of today?

Atheists: 0
Monotheists: 0
Pagans: 1

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: November 03, 2012, 07:42:30 am »

Not really. A lot of the Gods were really practical. For example Zeus, averter of flies.

I don't really buy that. We stopped sacrificing stuff to Thor a long time ago, and yet there's still no frost giants.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2698 on: November 03, 2012, 08:10:11 am »

I don't really buy that. We stopped sacrificing stuff to Thor a long time ago, and yet there's still no frost giants.
You don't worship the Norse Gods by sacrificing though. You do it by fighting.

Last I checked humanity's always been at war somewhere, and there are no frost giants.

PAAAAGAAAAAAANS: 2

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2699 on: November 03, 2012, 09:01:59 am »

surely sacrifice would attract more flies to the corpses?
/fire
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 510